Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakGrl View Post
I will be riding out the storm in West Palm Beach. I have a townhouse with shutters up now. I will have elderly mother in wheelchair and disabled sister in wheelchair spending the storm with me. Their assisted living is clearing out. We had storm practice again last year, so we are well prepared. I'm not looking forward to this, but we are ready.
This is a case where being FI is a blessing so I know I will have options to pay for recovery as needed.
Keeping everyone safe is the most important thing now.
Wishing everyone the best as this passes through.
Wow... You are likely going to be hit with a cat 4 hurricane, hopefully your townhome is on high ground or pillars, but I doubt it.

If you live, please post photo of neighborhood after the storm so we can see what you survived.

Have you stockpiled water and food ? (filled the tub, etc).

How long do you think it will be until grocery stores are re-opened ?
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Wow... You are likely going to be hit with a cat 4 hurricane, hopefully your townhome is on high ground or pillars, but I doubt it.

If you live, please post photo of neighborhood after the storm so we can see what you survived.

Have you stockpiled water and food ? (filled the tub, etc).

How long do you think it will be until grocery stores are re-opened ?
A townhome on pillars or even high ground will likely be blown off the support. See the photos of Crystal Beach near Galveston, TX when Ike came in. ALL the beach homes on pillars were GONE (except one)! These pictures are a warning for those crazy enough to be on a beach home when this monster comes in:

ike11.jpg

Ike_PhotoPair_crystal_bch_TX_Loc2LG.jpg

Here's a little reading:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/26...omment-page-2/
Old 09-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #203
Recycles dryer sheets

I live about 5-7 miles from the beach. I've lived here all my life. Lots of flooding issues over the years, but never had water inside the house. We will see. I have a second floor as a last option. It will be difficult to get Mom and sis up the stairs, but if we have to we will.
I am concerned but not panicked. I had an office in Miami during Andrew and saw what can happen in a Cat 5 so I am not unprepared. We have lots of food and water and a full tank of gas in the car. Very good shutters on windows and friends in the area that will help if needed, and I will help them if needed.
Hoping everyone stays safe through the storm.
YakGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

A lot of can-do people here. I hope you all have the best of luck.

Ha
Old 09-08-2017, 01:14 PM   #205
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
A townhome on pillars or even high ground will likely be blown off the support. See the photos of Crystal Beach near Galveston, TX when Ike came in. ALL the beach homes on pillars were GONE (except one)! These pictures are a warning for those crazy enough to be on a beach home when this monster comes in:

Attachment 26806

Attachment 26807

Here's a little reading:

Owners of 'last house standing' part of peninsula's comeback – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
Im guessing they never rebuilt those homes?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Attachment 26806

Attachment 26807

Here's a little reading:

Owners of 'last house standing' part of peninsula's comeback – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
We spent quite a bit of time there in the late 90s as Crystal Beach was a pretty good lodging location for birdwatching during spring migration. We rented beach houses a couple of times. I remember well seeing those photos after Ike. Incredible!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakGrl View Post
I will be riding out the storm in West Palm Beach. I have a townhouse with shutters up now. I will have elderly mother in wheelchair and disabled sister in wheelchair spending the storm with me. Their assisted living is clearing out. We had storm practice again last year, so we are well prepared. I'm not looking forward to this, but we are ready.
This is a case where being FI is a blessing so I know I will have options to pay for recovery as needed.
Keeping everyone safe is the most important thing now.
Wishing everyone the best as this passes through.
Best of luck, and bless you for taking care of your mom and your sister.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:36 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Watch until the end for the demo....

https://youtu.be/e0J7RzZHdh0

And good luck to you all.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #209
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Best of luck, and bless you for taking care of your mom and your sister.
+1
Old 09-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #210
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

What is the video you linked to? Can you give a description, or opinion or something? Thanks

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #211

We will likely stay put. Will decide tonight. Gas still available. We are under a mandatory evacuation but the odds of hurricane force winds is now less than 30%.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in Seattle but my brother is in Merritt Island, FLA. He is going inland tomorrow (Saturday). Also have family in Atlanta and in New Orleans.

No hurricanes in Seattle, but we are overdue for "The Big One" (earthquake).
tuckeverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #213

At the same time that Weather Underground was screeching about approaching Irma-geddon for south Florida, the website was displaying an ad marketing a bayfront estate for only $2.25M. An unfortunate juxtaposition, to be sure. You couldn't pay me to live in Evacuation Zone A. I'm in Zone D, which is plenty of risk for my taste. My Dad's condo isn't in an evac zone; hopefully, between the two places I'll have somewhere to live after Irma finishes having fun.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
At the same time that Weather Underground was screeching about approaching Irma-geddon for south Florida, the website was displaying an ad marketing a bayfront estate for only $2.25M.
Boy, have they got their marketing all wrong. Someone else here just yesterday posted their FL property for sale for $12.57, much more realistic.

Found out my nephew and his buddy are going to sit it out in Orlando. Sigh. I thought he had sense enough to be on a cruise in Australia or someplace else on the other side of the world. Hope they make it through okay.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #215
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Boy, have they got their marketing all wrong. Someone else here just yesterday posted their FL property for sale for $12.57, much more realistic.

Found out my nephew and his buddy are going to sit it out in Orlando. Sigh. I thought he had sense enough to be on a cruise in Australia or someplace else on the other side of the world. Hope they make it through okay.
He should be safe as Orlando is nothing but solid concrete after 35 years of building Disney, highways, hotels, retail, etc, etc. It's like being in prison. (I was stationed at Orlando Air Force Base in 1965 when it was orange groves, ants, other bugs, the base, etc)
Old 09-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #216
Administrator

My daughter lives in Orlando with her family and one year old son. We've been in constant touch for the past week. They're getting the same warnings and such, but in reality, they are much safer than the folks on the coasts. If anything, they are overprepared.

In fact, if we should choose to stay permanently in South Florida, spending a hurricane with them is not a bad option.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:02 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Now it is back to a Cat 5 and direct hit on the Keys.

You think everyone is out of there by now?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #218
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Now it is back to a Cat 5 and direct hit on the Keys.

You think everyone is out of there by now?
Here's a live cam of Duval Street - see for yourself. http://www.liveduvalstreet.com

Edit to add - live cam of the highway getting out of Key West http://www.a1aweather.com/florida-keys.php

Looks like everyone is either gone or hunkered down.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What is the video you linked to? Can you give a description, or opinion or something? Thanks
Quote:

The video in the link is entitled "Hurricane Irma Update 8 September" and it is by Juan Browne on the blancolirio channel. Browne is a pilot who has an interest in environmental and flood management and has been following the Oroville dam situation since February. His balanced, factual coverage has won awards and he is now admitted as a fully fledged member of the press to tour the site. He is commenting on Irma from a distance but has put together some interesting facts, figures and footage which may be of interest to forum members. I hope that is helpful.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The video in the link is entitled "Hurricane Irma Update 8 September" and it is by Juan Browne on the blancolirio channel. Browne is a pilot who has an interest in environmental and flood management and has been following the Oroville dam situation since February. His balanced, factual coverage has won awards and he is now admitted as a fully fledged member of the press to tour the site. He is commenting on Irma from a distance but has put together some interesting facts, figures and footage which may be of interest to forum members. I hope that is helpful.
Yes, it is! Thank you very much.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote