Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2017, 12:59 PM   #341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

lets see: 1,000,000 man hours to fix electric/17,000 workers . 58 hours per man, 12 hour productive shifts, 5 days. Thats for 90 % of the people. The other 10 % will wait 3 weeks. If I was a resident of Florida. I would be getting my power back the day after Thanksgiving. My home would have been looted by now, 3 times. And I would have gotten hit by a coconut as I went to survey the damage.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #342

You are going to be surprised , electricity will be up real soon . As long as no flooding these guys will be able to go pretty fast .

The video of the Keys did not look as bad as I thought it would , my concern is how much damage to Highway 1 . Travel trailers , temporary buildings destroyed . These are common to just about any Cat 1 tornado or hurricane.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #343
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank God, our place in Bradenton Florida sustained no damage. The garbage cans didn't even blow away. The only problem is that a dying palm tree in the front yard still didn't blow down, so I'll have to pay someone to cut it down! Oh, well, if that is the only expense, I'm really thankful.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
Thank God, our place in Bradenton Florida sustained no damage. The garbage cans didn't even blow away. The only problem is that a dying palm tree in the front yard still didn't blow down, so I'll have to pay someone to cut it down! Oh, well, if that is the only expense, I'm really thankful.
Apply to FEMA for some relief $$$$ with removing trees
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #345
Gone but not forgotten

Two things....

Since there never was coverage of inland FL (except for Orlando) we were prepared for the worst. Just received a phone call.. very minor damage to our mfg. home... some damage to the car port, and a few minor items. Our community never even lost power. (our worst case scenario was damage and removal of the home, at a probable cost of $15K)... some relief.

Re: the Villages.
When we moved to Lake Griffin Harbor in 1990, the Villages didn't exist. On the east side of rte 441, the over-55 community was "Orange Blossom Gardens"... 900 Manufactured Homes. While we were moving in to our park, they were expanding on the west side of 441... what turned in to The Villages. (Same development) We watched it grow to near what it is today... 150,000+ inhabitants. It was our once a week (free) entertainment center, as we'd drive the 15 miles to go to town square concerts, shows and square dancing.
Am pretty sure those 900 mfg. homes are the only ones in "The Villages".
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #346
Recycles dryer sheets

West Palm Beach - We had about a day and a half of high winds. We loss power at my townhouse for most of the night, but we were thrilled when it came back on. My mother and sister stayed with me during the hurricane, and their apartments don't have power now. They will be staying until they get power back on.
My office is closed due to lack of power. I will be trying to work from home.
Over 500,000 without power in Palm Beach county. It could be a long time before restoration is complete. Just hoping for the best and tremendously grateful we only had tropical storm force winds and no flooding in my neighborhood. We were well prepared, but I am so thankful that we didn't get the possible Cat 4-5 predicted.
We have trees and limbs down but no home damage near me.
YakGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #347
Give me a forum ...

My wife's nephew lives in Fort Lauderdale. We heard from SIL that his house has a lot of water coming from the roof. Sounded like his roof got damaged, but we did not know any detail. I don't think Fort Lauderdale got hit that bad, so perhaps his roof was weak to start out with. Not sure if he lost power, but SIL could not call him recently so perhaps the power is out and he cannot charge his phone.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
19:15 EST Sarasota update:
+ alternating between high tropical storm / low hurricane conditions
+ power is flickering but still on (good job, FPL!!)
My power went out after I posted this.

The power is back on after being out for about 24 hours. Thanks, FPL!

Sunday evening 8 PM to midnight was intense. I stood on the porch and watched Cat 1 hurricane-force winds rake the lake. I felt reasonably safe because my porch is on the SW side of the house, and the winds were from the NE.

I walked around local neighborhoods today. Lots of trees down, but only a tiny amount of structural damage. Sarasota missed a bullet!
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #349
Gone but not forgotten

We evacuated to a hotel inland.Today we checked on our house it was fine just a few shingles down and no power so we returned to the hotel .Hopefully we will get power soon.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #350
Dryer sheet aficionado

After spending most of the day Saturday watching the ever rising forecast storm surge levels for Sanibel, yesterday was soooo long. Thinking about 10+ feet of water above ground level at/in our ground level house was nauseating. Even worse was the thought that if the magnitude of the storm was as predicted, rebuilding would take years. We would literally be in line behind the condo complexes and big $$$ houses to get rebuilt. We were continually watching the local news online so by the time we went to bed last night, we knew that it had not been nearly as bad as the predictions...Irma stayed over land and lost a lot of strength pretty quickly and we wound up on the "softer" west side. This afternoon our home watch person reported that our place had no damage at all. We'll sleep better tonight for sure!
OnIslandTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #351

Welp.. Boca Raton here.

tl;dr version: long and shitty and if i had to groundhog day yesterday to live forever I would say NO.

We have impact/doors and windows... which I have to say, while nicer than being in the cave of shutters means you can see out and that's not always good.... quite scary. I tensed with every high gust. We had a crank/battery radio that kept saying "oops it jogged east 20 miles at the last minute so hey you're getting higher gusts than expected". And gusts... when it's a big storm means 7 hours of an intermittent battering ram.

We had tornado warnings a bunch but all missed us. It started saturday eve, and by sunday morning was foolish to go outside. Didn't really ebb until 11pm sunday night. The flooding wasn't an issue here ( less than 2 miles inland) but the wind was persistent. My garden looks like winter - all the leaves are gone... But we are safe, the cats are safe, and no damage is permanent.

My AC unit fritzed and fried a wire somewhere... we found an emergency($) service today but they have to come back tomorrow so fingers crossed....

88 degrees inside my house with over 70% humidity, at 6pm... first world problems at least!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #352
Gone but not forgotten

I am so glad I packed a cooler bag with food because none was available .I have never seen Florida so shut down .No restaurants ,stores or gas .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #353
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Does anyone know how this works, are the traveling power companies repayed all expenses including gas and labor.This has to cost a ton of money.
They are paid very well (and at times like this, they deserve it), with time and half and double time for Sundays - they will make out ok.

Utility crews stream into Florida for hurricane payday, adventure:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKCN1BK0PP
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #354
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We evacuated to a hotel inland.Today we checked on our house it was fine just a few shingles down and no power so we returned to the hotel .Hopefully we will get power soon.
Great news! So glad you and your SO are OK, and your house is fine with just a few shingles down, and that you can stay in the hotel until you have power. Thanks for letting everyone know..

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #355
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Great news! So glad you and your SO are OK, and your house is fine with just a few shingles down, and that you can stay in the hotel until you have power. Thanks for letting everyone know..
+1
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 AM   #356
Administrator

There are now water advisories across the tri-county. Drinking water has been contaminated with waste overrun. In some Palm Beach towns there is a request to not use the drains, as waste treatment plants are offline due to power loss.

The drawbridges on the intracoastal can't be operated, also due to power loss. According to the Sun Sentinel, they are stuck open.

Looks like the Keys have suffered very badly. Multiple reports now that there are 10k people who stayed behind and may now need to be evacuated.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #357
Recycles dryer sheets

I just heard from a neighbor that with the exception of a few screens from a neighbors pool cage sitting on my roof and some significant tree damage, my house looks fine in Fort Myers.

I had braced myself for much worse, given that I didn't put up the storm shutters before leaving last Tuesday.

Waiting to hear when power is restored and flights resume, so I can get down there and see for myself.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Our power is back on our First Coast Barrier Island today. Jax Beach was flooded though 50 miles North of us. We faired fine all in all. Lots of clean up today, no significant home damage, but things could have been VERY different if this had hit my roof (See Pic). Another 5' would have been an insurance claim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8514 (Medium).JPG (97.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8515 (Medium).JPG (228.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8512 (Medium).JPG (213.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #359
Give me a forum ...

After Ike when power was down and schools were closed, some residents just went to Disney World for the week. Is anybody in Florida going to Disneyland for the week?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #360
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am so glad I packed a cooler bag with food because none was available .I have never seen Florida so shut down .No restaurants ,stores or gas .
This is one reason I am not so keen on having lots of cash handy ... sometimes no place to use it anyways.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote