Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 AM   #361
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a concrete block stucco house built with the current wind mitigation specs. I live about 10 miles from the Villages. No damage. I found one shingle in my yard this morning but it was not the color of my roof. We lost power for 3 minutes. I consider myself very fortunate. I received an email from Chase Bank which has my Amazon Visa. Though I would share a portion of the notice.

Here’s how we're helping customers in FEMA-declared areas:

Automatically waiving or refunding through September 24:
• Late fees for mortgage, credit card, business banking and auto loans and leases
• Overdraft, service and ATM fees on consumer and business checking and savings accounts.
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:32 AM   #362
Administrator

More bad news about the Florida Keys Irma Destroyed About 25 Percent of Houses in Florida Keys, FEMA Says | KTLA
Quote:
Initial estimates indicate 25% of the houses in the Florida Keys have been destroyed, and 65% have major damage, said Brock Long, the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s administrator.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're still without power in Bonita Springs, so can't check wifi cams or thermostat. Neighbor that watches our place hasn't returned yet. Others in the general vicinity report many down trees, lots of debris, significant flooding but not up to the level of our entry door, so good news there. The nearby Publix parking lot is a lake, and the canopy/roof over the Sunoco pumps collapsed. This is all based on a few pictures from our only HOA full timer.

My only concerns are whether or not our roof leaked (a new roof was on the agenda for this winter), and whether our fence is still standing. Oh yeah, and whether my kayak is still there.

I do know the nearby trailer parks were trashed, as well as a couple of my favorite waterside eateries. I suspect my Snook Inn (Marco Island) t-shirts have just become collectors items. While Irma was not as bad as expected, she still kicked our butts in SWFL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0[1].jpg (143.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Publix[1].jpg (215.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Neighbor[1].jpg (125.1 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
.snip...
I do know the nearby trailer parks were trashed, as well as a couple of my favorite waterside eateries. I suspect my Snook Inn (Marco Island) t-shirts have just become collectors items. While Irma was not as bad as expected, she still kicked our butts in SWFL.
Snook Inn's gone?

That was my late in-laws favorite place.

Glad the important stuff is safe.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Snook Inn's gone?

That was my late in-laws favorite place.

Glad the important stuff is safe.
The building may still be there, but the Tiki Hut was destroyed. Not sure about the pickle barrel.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #366
Gone but not forgotten

We arrived home at noon today and power was on . I am so happy .Our one fence seems to be leaning a little but that is it.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #367
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We arrived home at noon today and power was on . I am so happy .Our one fence seems to be leaning a little but that is it.
Glad to hear it.

Did lots of Sarasota residents in reinforced concrete, high rise condos shelter in place?

PS: did the 'kiss' statue make it unscathed?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #368

Reports from folks at my condo complex in Estero indicate no damage to buildings. The giant Cheekee hut in the pool area survived, too. Lots of downed trees and branches on nearby roads.

Someone sent me a text stating that a large palm tree had fallen alongside my condo. It should be cleared away before I arrive in ~6 weeks.

Coconut Point Mall has had its power restored this morning. The Publix and Target stores there are open for business.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #369

Just received a text from Florida Power & Light. They expect the power to the entire west coast to be restored by end of day Sept. 22, except for areas with tornadoes and severe flooding.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #370
Administrator

Quote:
Old 09-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #371
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Glad to hear it.

Did lots of Sarasota residents in reinforced concrete, high rise condos shelter in place?

PS: did the 'kiss' statue make it unscathed?
A lot of people left that have never left before and the ones who stayed had hurricane shutters .We have stayed before but this one scared the crap out of me.Plus the sound of the winds coming off the bay were horrendous.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #372
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Reports from folks at my condo complex in Estero indicate no damage to buildings. The giant Cheekee hut in the pool area survived, too. Lots of downed trees and branches on nearby roads.

Someone sent me a text stating that a large palm tree had fallen alongside my condo. It should be cleared away before I arrive in ~6 weeks.

Coconut Point Mall has had its power restored this morning. The Publix and Target stores there are open for business.

omni
All Publix's were open by us and gas was available .I have lived in Florida for 22 years thru many hurricanes and I never saw so many people evacuate and every single business was closed for a few days even pharmacies .I think coming so shortly after Texas everybody was scared .I know I was .Now of course the people who left for Georgia are traveling at 10 mph on 95 .
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #373
Administrator

Quote:
All Publix's were open by us and gas was available .I have lived in Florida for 22 years thru many hurricanes and I never saw so many people evacuate and every single business was closed for a few days even pharmacies .I think coming so shortly after Texas everybody was scared .I know I was .Now of course the people who left for Georgia are traveling at 10 mph on 95 .
I agree that the H. Harvey helped make people more fearful, but this was a very bad storm, and just a few miles change in track could have led to a real devastation in SW Florida. Getting out was definitely the right move.

My daughter called a few minutes ago. They were staying with in-laws. Their power's back on, so they went home and found a soaked carpet and buckled floors.
Key West Fake news
Old 09-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #374

Key West Fake news

Just talked to Louie C Rocks a DJ who rode the storm out in KW and who is there right now.
Key West was not destroyed ( KW is in OK )
The 25% people who lost home is correct , these are mostly people who live in travel trailers and motor homes.
The Keys are REBUILDING as we talk !
Only one fatality , an older person in a evacuation center!
Cudjoe Key is tore up badly , but things are progressing.
US navy has an aircraft carrier in KW .
This storm was not as bad as Hurricane Wilma !
If you want, follow Louie on his facebook .

We are planning to go to Fantasy Fest this year and made reservations . The hotel we are staying will be reopening Thursday 09/14/2017

Louie C. , said do not count the Keys out ! This year's Fantasy Fest will be bigger and better then ever !
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #375
Administrator

Breedlove, you may disagree, but that does not make the news "fake".

This is the Monroe County web site MONROE COUNTY TO OPEN RE-ENTRY INTO KEYS FOR UPPER KEYS RESIDENTS & BUSINESS OWNERS » Florida Keys Weekly Newspapers
They are only allowing reentry to the Upper Keys, and only residents and businesses.

US-1 is only open to the upper Keys. It is still closed south of Islamorada. The Dept of Defense issued a warning yesterday about damage in the Keys (here). FEMA reported the 25% number - houses, not people - and also reported that "most of the structures on the island" were damaged.

The lower Keys are still closed, residents cannot yet return. Hopefully by Fantasy Fest everything will be hunky-dory and you'll have a great time.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Siblings are still without power in GA. Trees down. By some miracle my Dad's assisted living place did not lose power and the only casualty was the flagpole.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #377

Kind of a heads up , news is changing quickly . Yesterday Marco Rubio suggested everyone totally evacuate the Keys . Last night the Mayor of KW said " we are not going anywhere "

Our hotel oceans Edge Resort is closed today but scheduled to open tomorrow . I don't know why but ...............

Both airports in KW are open but not for commercial flights . They hope to have commercial flights soon .

25% of the homes destroyed remember what Louie C. said these were mostly people who lived in travel trailers and motorhomes . This is their home .

Wait till the facts come out by this weekend .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #378
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
25% of the homes destroyed remember what Louie C. said these were mostly people who lived in travel trailers and motorhomes . This is their home .
And now they are homeless. My heart goes out to them.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #379
Give me a forum ...

I've seen plenty of pictures seriously damaged homes on the Keys that were not mobile homes nor travel trailers.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #380

I think the 25 percent is an overall figure for the keys. Key West likely suffered the least damage, as the eye crossed over Cudjoe key to the east. Most of the damage is in the middle and upper keys, which were on the "dirty" side of the storm. They got the worst of the winds and the storm surge. The pictures from those areas are evidence of the severe damage there. The road to the lower keys is not open yet, so there are not as many news cameras there. The reports from the locals are of much less severe damage. Utilities are not functional yet, but I'll bet the bars in Key West reopen soon...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote