Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

One year we had the remnant of a hurricane stagger like a drunken soldier back and forth across the Florida peninsula as a tropical storm dumping huge amounts of rain. Once the energy is concentrated, it can do lots of damage.

I'm not worried yet, but Irma will definitely be something to keep an eye on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Hurricane Irma
Old 09-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hurricane Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

We decided today that if it turns out we need to evacuate, then we will go together in my car because it is in better shape..

If it comes to it ...Take 2 cars then park the less reliable car 30 miles inland out of New Orleans and park it in a Walmart parking lot.

Whatever you do don't wait until the last minute.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #23

Quote:
That's a very scary situation. Living with no power, no water, no food, no ice sounds like such a nightmare. I think that if I lived in S. Florida, I'd be planning to get out of there ASAP, like, tomorrow.
Yeah, it is. The worst part is, without power, it's just too hot, and the very young and old suffer dearly.
Quote:
I have found a great secret regarding evacuations, for anyone planning to leave. We always leave about 3:15 AM. That's too late for the "night people" to be leaving, and too early for the "morning people", so traffic is minimal. We left New Orleans about 28 hours before Katrina got here, and just sailed on up the interstate at a nice, steady 55 mph. Those leaving during the daytime had to endure stop-and-go the whole way.
That's smart, and I'll have to file this away for future use. Those fortunate enough to be able to relocate, even temporarily, should do so.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #24

I'm in S Fla, was here for Andrew (92), Wilma (05) and all the rest of the near misses. We have plenty of hardware supplies (batteries, flashlights, radio) etc., ready from Matthew last year.

Our plan is the same as we ended up doing after wilma. Stay in, (we have hurricane windows now and don't live in an evac zone), ride it out, but have a refundable hotel reservation several hours away for afterwards. Staying in FL in September with no power is not fun.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Our plan is the same as we ended up doing after wilma. Stay in, (we have hurricane windows now and don't live in an evac zone), ride it out, but have a refundable hotel reservation several hours away for afterwards. Staying in FL in September with no power is not fun.
Good plan.

If you do decide to leave just before the storm instead of after, and if you have an answering machine that is dependent upon electricity, you can easily find out if you still have electricity at home by calling it from your evacuation location. But you probably already knew this.

I don't have one, because I don't have a landline any more, but Frank does.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It turns out that all the weather information pretty much comes from the National Weather Service and the different weather sites just re-type the text in various ways which are sometimes sober and sometimes exaggerated.

That said, I have bookmarked the weather underground page:
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/
and go to the storm of interest and look at the various maps. When all the computer model maps and the ensemble maps tighten up, then that means to me that there is a higher confidence in those maps. Also click on "Storm details" and read the text from the NWS under the 3 or 4 tabs there.

So with that said ...

The 5-day forecast has Irma off the north coast of mid-Cuba. BUT the longer-range maps show a 90-degree turn to head north right through Florida. That is, not much probability to go into the Gulf of Mexico. That doesn't mean Irma won't go into the Gulf, but I think it does mean that folks in Florida had better make good evacuation plans. And if they don't need to be in Florida, they should leave. Or if they can easily leave, then they should leave.

Or if they want to go to Yellowstone, I can vouch that September is a great month to go.

I hope I don't see people after the fact in shelters saying on TV "We didn't have any water and no food" because they should have known to have some.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: Fort Myers, FL by Winter - Lake of the Ozarks, MO by Summer
DW and I had planned to head to Ft Myers in the AM for the winter..... New plan is to sit tight in Osage Beach, MO until we see what happens ...... We have owned our PM home in Ft Myers for 3 years now, never have experienced a hurricane.....
Old 09-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
One year we had the remnant of a hurricane stagger like a drunken soldier back and forth across the Florida peninsula as a tropical storm dumping huge amounts of rain. Once the energy is concentrated, it can do lots of damage.

I'm not worried yet, but Irma will definitely be something to keep an eye on.
I remember 2004, when Florida got hit by Hurricanes Charley Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. Ivan was the one that looked scariest to me, but I think Charley did a lot of damage as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
If it comes to it ...Take 2 cars then park the less reliable car 30 miles inland out of New Orleans and park it in a Walmart parking lot.

Whatever you do don't wait until the last minute.
Good idea. I'll ask him tomorrow if he would rather park his car in my garage, in a local parking structure where it will be a little higher up, or in a Wally World parking lot in Hammond, Louisiana. The car has a lot of mileage on it, and isn't worth much. He is might sell it later this year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
DW and I had planned to head to Ft Myers in the AM for the winter..... New plan is to sit tight in Osage Beach, MO until we see what happens ...... We have owned our PM home in Ft Myers for 3 years now, never have experienced a hurricane.....
Good idea. At least if it was me, I would not want to rush down there just to get clobbered by Irma.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Good plan.

If you do decide to leave just before the storm instead of after, and if you have an answering machine that is dependent upon electricity, you can easily find out if you still have electricity at home by calling it from your evacuation location. But you probably already knew this.

I don't have one, because I don't have a landline any more, but Frank does.
That's how we knew we had power back after Wilma. Our hotel was booked so we had to leave after about 4 days, and the machine picked up when we were about 30 mins from getting back home.

I'd still stay and leave after, in case we needed to patch something or remove a hazard or something, make sure all is safely locked up post-storm before departing.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
We've owned a winter home in Cape Coral since 2008 and this looks like our first scrape too. Scheduled to fly in on Friday for a ten day stay. It would be nice to get there in time to batten down the hatches, but have a feeling it's going to be nicer in Indiana.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: Fort Myers, FL by Winter - Lake of the Ozarks, MO by Summer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
We've owned a winter home in Cape Coral since 2008 and this looks like our first scrape too. Scheduled to fly in on Friday for a ten day stay. It would be nice to get there in time to batten down the hatches, but have a feeling it's going to be nicer in Indiana.
When we left in May, I put the shutters up, so all is locked and ready..... Only thing I am worried about is the golf cart..... We had 15 Inches of rain a few days ago, all stayed dry at our home, but not sure if we can with stand any more.......
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

And then there's serious discussion about Irma:
ATL: IRMA - Hurricane - Discussion - Page 148 - STORM2K
Old 09-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #34

It's worth remembering that a minor change in predicted track can turn what appears to be a major disaster into a non-event, and vice-versa. That's why I'm not losing any sleep at this time. That said, in the 10 years I've been in Florida I've noticed that those major hurricanes that track south are often up to no good.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #35

Quote:
I remember 2004, when Florida got hit by Hurricanes Charley Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. Ivan was the one that looked scariest to me, but I think Charley did a lot of damage as well.
We stayed home through all of those hurricanes (I lived in Lakeland, Florida at the time.) Charley did over $40k damage to my house.

I had a huge, beautiful oak tree in my backyard which fell onto the roof taking out the pool cage and causing significant damage to the roof and the pool. The hurricane was so loud (sounded like a freight train going right by you about 20 feet away) that we didn't hear the tree fall on the house, but realized it had fallen when rain started coming through the ceiling. It took more than 6 months to get the house and pool repaired because there was so much damage in the area, and every repair company was booked solid.

I will say that a State Farm rep was there within 4 days, and they paid 100% of the damages after I paid my hurricane deductible ($5k). But I certainly learned to never have a large tree within striking distance of my house.

I'm still in central Florida...I have no interest in meeting Irma.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #36

Quote:
There are more... but, this far out, with no projected landfall in my area, I don't really need to get started on any of this.
Although it is something you should watch, I don't think you need to seriously consider evacuating until Sunday. Even south Florida doesn't need to decide what to do until Friday. Hopefully it either takes a hard right and just skims the East coast of Florida or makes landfall in Cuba and drops to a Cat 2 or weaker before hitting Florida. If it goes past Cuba and south of Florida and enters the Gulf, THEN it's time to worry.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #37

The stuff to do between now and Friday. Things that won't cost you any other than pre-buying normal stuff:

Get your gas tank (cars) full. Try to stay as close to full as possible. Gas will be scarce and be hour-long lines once the red and yellow stripes get put on your county.
Do extra laundry. Just stay ahead of it vs. having everything in the hamper if the storm hits.
Start putting extra ice in freezer bags in your freezer if you have room. Make extra ice all week long so you don't have to stand in line at publix on saturday for it.
Stock up on toilet paper, paper towels, make sure you're not out of basic cleaning supplies.
Put out as much garbage as possible. Clear crap off your patio if there's a bulk pick up this week.
Trim anything loose in trees and bushes.
Buy extra snacks and non-perishable that you normally like. Breakfast bars and such.
++Wine
Old 09-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #38

Our condo just north of Ft Lauderdale is in the middle of being remodeled and is on the beach. We're not there right now but while our condo is on the 8th floor, our personal belongings are in a storage bin in the basement garage. I hope our condo hurricane windows hold so at least our new floors and cabinets aren't ruined.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Son #5 is stationed in Pensacola with his bride, so I am hoping that is out of the path of Irma. DDIL is from "down the bayou" Louisiana, so she totally knows the drill and will take care of him. Son #2 was sent into Houston area post Harvey to guard emergency medical personnel. I will be relieved when he is safely home.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:26 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

We are booked to go to Cuba on Friday . Ha Ha That is not happening !