Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #401
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Sarasota County Gov just sent an alert saying if you don't have power to limit use of water and putting things down drains - ie. minimize flushing toilets, etc. In the areas without power, apparently sewer stations are not functioning. Could result in sewer backup issues! ��

I know a friend's neighbor is already having issues with this.
75% of the pumping and lifting stations in Glynn Co. GA are still without power. They are saying the sewer system right now is basically a septic tank and the septic tank is full. Besides unsafe power lines down, the first priority is getting power back to the sewer/water system.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #402

Good news , US 1 radio is giving daily updates on the Keys . Some water has been restored to some of the Keys . They are asking people to boil the water and avoid using lots of water at this time.
Things are moving along

9/13/17 – From Monroe County BOCC –
MORE WATER IS COMING
Aqueduct is going to turn on the water today from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.and again from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., in Stock Island and Key West.
This is NON POTABLE water, must be boiled before drinking, and will only be available for two, 2-HOUR periods of time.
Key Largo to Marathon should have water in areas that do not have damage to individual service lines.
Water from Stock Island to the 7-Mile Bridge is still unavailable due to major storm damage.
Water provided during this time is in short supply and should be conserved. While there is a temptation to use this limited resource to clean property, the resource is being made available for SANITATION PURPOSES. Many people still have limited or no access to this resource. Water flows through pipes like a tree, the larger supply is closest to the trunk. Greater vigilance in conservation near the trunk, means the limbs see more water.
Please help to share this message if you have access to it.

9/12/17 (12:38 PM) – From Monroe County BOCC –
NOT TRUE: DOD REPORT ABOUT EVACUATION OF 10,000 PEOPLE POST HURRICANE IRMA MONROE COUNTY, FL –
The information below that was in a Sept. 11, 2017 Department of Defense report is NOT TRUE. Please do not repeat and please refute if possible.
It said:
“Damage to the Keys may necessitate evacuation of the 10,000 persons who did not evacuate before the storm.”
###
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #403
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Survived.
Moved much stuff to new almost finished house. Freezer, 2 small fridges, water machine, tiny A/C, ancient gas stove.
A few electric plugs worked, water and septic worked.
Without water for ~12 hours, electric for ~32 hours.
Propane generator started on 3rd pull.
No surge.

Modern appliances are wonderful devices.
Helped some neighbors set up generators and move stuff and they helped us.

We are both geezers and are sore. Actually dipped into the stronger pain killers for sleep
Old 09-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #404

Khan, glad to hear you're okay!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #405
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was worried about you, Khan. So glad to hear you are OK, if a little sore!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #406
Give me a forum ...

As you probably know, palm trees are not really trees. They are something like a whole bunch of grass stems that cluster together for security. Unless the tree itself was already weakened by disease or age, the root system should be re-plantable - much as grass usually is. Just don't let it dry out.

This I recall from a botany course in college in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Our palm trees are leaning at 45 degrees or so. I'll have to find out whether they can be pulled back up or if we should take them down and re-plant. I'm surprised there's a palm tree left in FL considering how small their root systems are.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #407
Give me a forum ...

Hurray, glad that a little soreness is the worst that Irma did to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Survived.
Moved much stuff to new almost finished house. Freezer, 2 small fridges, water machine, tiny A/C, ancient gas stove.
No surge.

We are both geezers and are sore. Actually dipped into the stronger pain killers for sleep
Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #408
Gone but not forgotten

Khan,Glad you are okay !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Just got back to power at our place near Clearwater Beach. No damage, everything up and running. So grateful that it was not worse. A LOT of cleanup though in our area and across the state that we witnessed during our return from evacuation to Disney.

On I-4 we witnessed convoys of teams of Ohio Edison and North Carolina. Plus, other convoys of tree removal and various other help on the way. THANK YOU EVERYONE. I get the feeling my wife will be handing out $20 bills for a while.

And BTW, Disney was absolutely incredible!! If you ever consider evacuating, this is a great place. They did everything they could to entertain, feed, and keep us safe. We were so lucky to get a room at the day before Irma hit.
On behalf of the state of NC, you are most welcome!

IIRC, Texas and Florida sent help to our state when hurricanes (Fran, Floyd) wreaked havoc here.

Now it's our turn to help after Harvey and Irma. We're all in this life together.

Edit to add: I think your Disney solution was brilliant!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:47 AM   #410
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Survived.
No surge.

So glad that you two are fine, other than being a little sore, and that your new house survived too! Wonderful news.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:00 AM   #411
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally had power restored after 72 hours and losing everything in my freezer and fridge. I was planning on giving my daughter the freezer next year but will do it now. A neighbor cut up a tree (chainsaw) blocking our road and also some big limbs that had come down on my property. Lots of yard work in the next few days picking up branches and moss. My burn pile is huge now and my neighbor offered to burn it this winter. I gratefully accepted and said I would furnish the marshmallows and finings for smores. Lots of cleaning and clothes washing today now that I have water again. Thank goodness for wonderful (young) neighbors but I can't wait to move to the CCRC next year !
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 AM   #412
Full time employment: Posting here.

High resolution satellite imagery of the keys from NOAA

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #413
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
We had put a toothpick on top of a frozen block of ice inside a plastic tub. When we came home, the toothpick had not sunk down into the ice at all - so our freezer held up well. Neighbors say the power was off about 12 hrs.
So how do you know the frozen ice in the plastic tub didn't thaw, and then refreeze as the toothpick will float on top of the water and still be on top when it freezes ?

I like the idea, but I'm going to try a nail or marble or rock as I can be sure it will sink if the ice melts.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #414
Administrator

Two options for the frozen ice test. One is to put a nickle on top of the ice. The other is to put ice cubes in a ziplock bag. Either test will confirm with out doubt that ice melted or remained intact.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #415
Give me a forum ...

Finally power back on at Dad's house in GA, but still out at another relative's in GA.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #416
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Two options for the frozen ice test. One is to put a nickle on top of the ice. The other is to put ice cubes in a ziplock bag. Either test will confirm with out doubt that ice melted or remained intact.
These are really good suggestions and I'll use them next time we go on a long trip.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So how do you know the frozen ice in the plastic tub didn't thaw, and then refreeze as the toothpick will float on top of the water and still be on top when it freezes ?

I like the idea, but I'm going to try a nail or marble or rock as I can be sure it will sink if the ice melts.
LOL this was not the smartest idea I've ever had. In my defense, I wanted to put a coin on top. Hubby was annoyed with me for worrying about the freezer...he just wanted to BOLT. So, I didn't have time to search for a coin so I grabbed the first thing I thought of that was in the kitchen!

It still believe it worked though, because it wasn't stuck to the ice at all...so thinking if it had melted it would have at least been partially embedded in it. Our neighbors said our electric was only out about 12 hours, so I know the freezer was safe, at least, as they are supposed to be good for 48 hrs if full (we had it full of items and ice-filled containers and turned to the coldest setting).

This is what happens when you leave in a panic. There is nothing like leaving your home and looking back at it and wondering if it will be there when you come home. And there is nothing like driving north on 75 hoping you don't run out of gas and seeing all the other panicked drivers alongside you. Mass exodus! Even both berms were turned into highway lanes.

We have officially been initiated to Florida!

Still love it here!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #418
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
As you probably know, palm trees are not really trees. They are something like a whole bunch of grass stems that cluster together for security. Unless the tree itself was already weakened by disease or age, the root system should be re-plantable - much as grass usually is. Just don't let it dry out.

This I recall from a botany course in college in Florida.

I studied a different type of grass in college...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #419

All I know is scorpions and pigeons love them, they have to be trimmed at least once a year by expensive guys that climb up and cut the dead fronds, and you do not want them on your property in the Phoenix area.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #420
Give me a forum ...

LOL...I said I was in Florida...you know there was a lot of that type of non-graminid "grass" around! I tried it once or twice but didn't...er...cotton to it. Maybe it wasn't the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I studied a different type of grass in college...