Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are booked to go to Cuba on Friday . Ha Ha That is not happening !
Does your CC have cancellation coverage ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:37 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

The tracks are interesting. It usually has to track a more southerly route initially to make it to our west end of the Gulf.

If a hurricane or tropical storm makes it across the Yucatán peninsula and into the Bay of Campeche, even if just unformed remnants remain, I know chances of a hurricane hitting our west-side coast are high. Just like Harvey - although that one ended up tracking a bit more north at the end and hit what we call the "coastal bend. Physically it passed very, very close to us.

More hurricanes seem to track a little farther north initially across the Caribbean islands and turn north way before reaching our side of the Gulf.

So we mostly pay attention to what reaches the Yucatán.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good plan.

If you do decide to leave just before the storm instead of after, and if you have an answering machine that is dependent upon electricity, you can easily find out if you still have electricity at home by calling it from your evacuation location. But you probably already knew this.

I don't have one, because I don't have a landline any more, but Frank does.
We have a web cam that we can look inside our house remotely. If we can talk to it, we must have power....

We get emails from AEP when power goes down in our immediate area, and restoration status updates. It doesn't mean our immediate house has lost power, but close neighbors.

I believe our smart power meter is online. Maybe I can query it though our provider somehow. I know that's how they read the meter. I can see daily usage graphs on their website, so that's certainly one another way to know.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:28 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hurricane Irma

Just sent the following Facebook messenger message to my brother who lives in key west

"So I'm sure you thought about evacuation ... I'm sure I don't need to tell you that with a single exit road if you don't get out by Saturday I'm not sure you will be able too. This thing looks as scary as they get."

There will always be those who choose unwisely to stay.

Edit: sent this before it became a cat 5
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 06:45 AM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are booked to go to Cuba on Friday . Ha Ha That is not happening !
That's plain old bad luck. Hope you are able to rebook without penalty.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:04 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Most of South Florida has above ground electrical, so when a powerful storm hits head on, like Wilma in '05, it takes the system down. Most of Dade and Broward counties were without power for more than a week. The potable water supply was contaminated by overflow, so the instructions were to boil all water before using. Hard to do when there is no power. There was nothing to be had - food, water, ice. Emergency water was trucked in, but with no power, there was no way to let people know. Calling a state of emergency this early is a good move, but only if it is followed by some real preparation - by residents and emergency crews alike.
I am surprised that recommendations do not include a camp stove powered by propane or white gasoline. One burner stoves range around $30. Buy a few cans of propane as well and you can boil water.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We got hit by Matthew last year, we will get outer bands at the LEAST. Fingers Crossed.....
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I knew when I booked it that this could happen . We usually never book for September . At least I have our suitcases and clothes ready in case we need to leave .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Latest update says 175 mph sustained winds. I dont remember ever seeing that!
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I am surprised that recommendations do not include a camp stove powered by propane or white gasoline. One burner stoves range around $30. Buy a few cans of propane as well and you can boil water.

+1. When we were threatened with possible flooding from Harvey, we moved a lot of items upstairs, and were preparing to be able to live up there for up to a week. We had adequate water and food, but what I realized I lacked was a camp stove or any way to heat water or cook food. I had always thought that my gas grill and gas cooktop range would be available in the event of a prolonged power outage due to hurricane. But, until Harvey, I wasn't taking into consideration the possibility of flooding and these appliances not being available. Luckily, we dodged the flooding bullet with Harvey, but I will ensure that I have a portable propane stove for any future emergency.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Just sent the following Facebook messenger message to my brother who lives in key west

"So I'm sure you thought about evacuation ... I'm sure I don't need to tell you that with a single exit road if you don't get out by Saturday I'm not sure you will be able too. This thing looks as scary as they get."

I remember my in-laws having a place on Marathon key(halfway to key West) when Andrew was coming. They tried to evacuate North towards Homestead! Fortunately they didn't get more than a few miles. FIL calls his son in Ft. Myers and pleads for him to fly down and get them outa the Keys. Son is flying VFR around a hurricane to go rescue mom and dad! They were the last plane out of Marathon.

For some reason FILs home went up for sale afterwards.

Good luck to anyone who is in the path of this storm.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #52
Administrator

Total evacuation from Key West is logistically just as unlikely as evacuation from Houston. So many people have nowhere to go, there are no facilities open that are prepared to house and feed all the evacuees, and the surface transportation system can't manage the volume.

Key West inhabitants have one additional obstacle. Even if they can get out, after driving for 5-6 hours, they reach SE or SW Florida, Ft Lauderdale or Naples, where they are just as exposed to the hurricane.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

We were thinking of trying to go to the Keys this year since we didn't make it down that far last year. Hmm.

If it hits the Keys as a Cat 4, the last thing they need is more tourists I guess.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Heck, with that lil ole 2-lane road, it is crammed with traffic at the best of times. If I lived in Key West, I'd want to own a helicopter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

When we were worrying last winter about being stranded by snow, I checked with my credit card travel agent. They said the underwriters for the travel insurance generally accept an article from a major newspaper describing airports or highways in your area being shut down due to a major weather event. Of course, the insurers know about the really bad storms; they are just trying to be sure we don't claim a local snowstorm (that really only stranded us) was a major weather event.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
Latest update says 175 mph sustained winds. I dont remember ever seeing that!
With gusts to 215mph, according to weather underground.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
With gusts to 215mph, according to weather underground.
fake news was reporting category 6 this morning

Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Forest fires and earthquakes on the west coast, Huge hurricanes on the east coast, tornadoes inland from that and all over the Midwest

Phoenix, AZ is starting to sound pretty dang good.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I'm in S Fla, was here for Andrew (92), Wilma (05) and all the rest of the near misses. We have plenty of hardware supplies (batteries, flashlights, radio) etc., ready from Matthew last year.

Our plan is the same as we ended up doing after wilma. Stay in, (we have hurricane windows now and don't live in an evac zone), ride it out, but have a refundable hotel reservation several hours away for afterwards. Staying in FL in September with no power is not fun.
I'm in Jacksonville. Been here for 24+ years and been through numerous hurricanes and tropical storms. Never lost power or satellite. Matthew was a bit hairy but I'm hearing Irma will make Matthew and Harvey look like sun showers! We're not supposed to be impacted until Sunday or even into the week of Sept 11th. The big question now is when and where will Irma stat to turn.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good plan.

If you do decide to leave just before the storm instead of after, and if you have an answering machine that is dependent upon electricity, you can easily find out if you still have electricity at home by calling it from your evacuation location. But you probably already knew this.

I don't have one, because I don't have a landline any more, but Frank does.
This is how I knew power had been restored to my apartment building after Hurricane Sandy in 2012. For a few days, I was staying in my ladyfriend's apartment a few blocks away from mine, as she had power, internet, and phone (I had no cell phone back then) but no cable TV. I was able to retrieve my frozen and refrigerated foods to keep them from going bad and place them in her fridge and freezer.

A few times per day, I called my home phone to see if the answering machine picked up. Then, suddenly, it did so I walked home to check it out - an outdoor light and nearby traffic light were working again. A porter was vacuuming in the lobby and told me the power had just returned within the hour. Happily, I went back to my ladyfriend's place and brought my frozen foods, belongings, and PC back home and got my life back to normal.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote