Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
We accomplished things. Wiring from temp house to new house. Generator connected. Much food moved. Boat stored under house. Tomorrow will move stuff to freezer and fridge. Microwave will not work on generator power. We have several days of propane and ~80 gallons of gas.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #122
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
We accomplished things. Wiring from temp house to new house. Generator connected. Much food moved. Boat stored under house. Tomorrow will move stuff to freezer and fridge. Microwave will not work on generator power. We have several days of propane and ~80 gallons of gas.
You have been doing a lot of hard work to prepare for Irma. Good idea to have lots of propane and gasoline. If the microwave won't work on generator power, maybe you can grill things.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #123
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
It's so big, it's hard to tell, but as of the latest looks like it will go thru the keys en route to Miami, and up. I'm near Palm Beach, 40 mins south, 2 miles from the Ocean. Not an evac zone... and we have hurricane impact windows installed post-wilma... but getting nervous.

Nothing is rated for a Cat 5, even a 4 + gusts.... worst case we'll hunker down in the interior bathroom with the cats until it's over!
It seems to me that nearly anyone who has been through a big hurricane (like Wilma) would be just as nervous as you are, or more. I sure hope that something unexpected happens to lessen the danger - - maybe Irma could fizzle, or head out to sea, or something. If not, the outcome may be quite grim. Take care.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in Punta Gorda. We are loading up the plane and heading out tommorow. My insurance man is even paying to relocate the plane.

I see no reason to stay.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I'm in Punta Gorda. We are loading up the plane and heading out tommorow. My insurance man is even paying to relocate the plane.

I see no reason to stay.
Wow, PM me your insurance guy, he is a keeper, Im on the ignore list when i try to put in a claim.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:30 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Irma Could Leave Puerto Rico Without Power for 6 Months, Um O.K. that would cramp most preppers. Irma Could Leave Puerto Rico Without Power for 6 Months. Seems extreme, is this because the place is broke? or because the island is going to get flattened.?
Could be, due to a combination of broke and extreme damage.

I mentioned in another thread, DD's boyfriend is from Puerto Rico, and when a side road near them (about 10 miles from us) was washed out in some floods a few months ago, he was amazed that it was repaired in a few days. He said that would take years to get fixed in Puerto Rico.

He has family there and lost contact due to power outages today. It's going to very rough I think.

-ERD50
Old 09-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Note that there are now inverter generators, which produce a much cleaner electricity than a traditional generator, and because of the way they work don't have to run at a constant speed like traditional generators.(It is basically the same technology as used in inverter compressors and blower motors turned around. They generate ac, convert it to dc and back to ac. I suspect that over the next few years they will replace the older models.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 PM   #128
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that one other idea is to buy empty gallon jugs and fill them with tap water before the storm.
Longer term, just don't throw water bottles away but keep them empty and refill from the tap before a storm.
One of the things we did was fill up empty 2 ltr soda bottles and put them in the freezer... if the electricity goes out it can help keep the interior cold longer... and you still have water to drink....

DW keeps pushing for me to buy a generator.... but I would buy a Honda that cost $1,000.... do not want to do that since it is very rare we need it... the last time we lost electricity for a long time was 2008 and it was out for 2 or 3 weeks ....
Old 09-06-2017, 11:18 PM   #129

I love our little Honda EU2000i

I probably have already put 200 or more hours on it because of this smoke from the forest fires making solar not work. Highly recommend that little red $1000 inverter generator!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:38 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
The NWS map 'M' for Sunday at 8pm marks where my home is located. M is for major hurricane. Residential structures fair poorly in a cat 4 or 5. Millions live along this storm track.

Only good thing for Irma will be a lower storm surge on its current track.

I saw the aftermath of Andrew in 1992 - a cat 5.

Pray for Florida.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:41 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Wow, PM me your insurance guy, he is a keeper, Im on the ignore list when i try to put in a claim.
I get two moves a year, It has to be a hurricane watch or warning. I guess it's cheaper than replacing the plane. It doesn't take much to total out an aluminum airplane. Just something hitting the prop requires the engine to be torn down and inspected.

And my insurance guy is actually my daughter in law
Old 09-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #132

The latest models are showing my condo in line for a direct hit. It's an eighth floor condo with hurricane windows. I hope they hold and my remodeling contractor ensured they're locked as he promised. Many personal belongings are in a storage bin in the garage basement. I suspect they will be a total loss. But at least we're safe in PA. Stuff can be replaced. Pray for Florida!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
The latest models are showing my condo in line for a direct hit. It's an eighth floor condo with hurricane windows. I hope they hold and my remodeling contractor ensured they're locked as he promised. Many personal belongings are in a storage bin in the garage basement. I suspect they will be a total loss. But at least we're safe in PA. Stuff can be replaced. Pray for Florida!
Let's pray for the best - and a continued shift to the east. Hope you're insured. As you say, stuff can be replaced. I know, because we suffered a total loss of household goods in '90. A real PITA, but stuff can be replaced.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Let's pray for the best - and a continued shift to the east. Hope you're insured. As you say, stuff can be replaced. I know, because we suffered a total loss of household goods in '90. A real PITA, but stuff can be replaced.

We're insured for wind damage. Eighth floor we didn't see need for flood insurance. Question is how responsive the insurance companies will be.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We're insured for wind damage. Eighth floor we didn't see need for flood insurance. Question is how responsive the insurance companies will be.
We have a condo on the 4th floor of a building in the path. Garage on first level. We maintain flood insurance in case flood damage to the building causes an assessment to all owners. I'm told that would be covered.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking at today's 11:00 am advisory, I think the eye of Irma will be on my street Sunday.

(I typed various sentences after the above one and none made any sense). Ugghhhhhh

Rich
Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

DW keeps pushing for me to buy a generator.... but I would buy a Honda that cost $1,000.... do not want to do that since it is very rare we need it... the last time we lost electricity for a long time was 2008 and it was out for 2 or 3 weeks ....
Ok as a city kid, I need to ask, What did you do for those 2 weeks? You stayed and roughed it? Or did the BCG thing and try to find a dog friendly hotel?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I get two moves a year, It has to be a hurricane watch or warning. I guess it's cheaper than replacing the plane. It doesn't take much to total out an aluminum airplane. Just something hitting the prop requires the engine to be torn down and inspected.

And my insurance guy is actually my daughter in law
Bwaa, A) thanks for that info and B) You have the best insurance agent in the business
Old 09-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #139

is there a waiting period for flood insurance? Might be prudent to get a policy now if it will be in effect immediately.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Let's pray for the best - and a continued shift to the east.
You are basically praying for the storm to hit the Bahamas more than Florida...there are people in the Bahamas praying for it to shift more to the west. I'm sure there are more people praying for Florida than the Bahamas just based on population and I wonder if God considers the total number of conflicting prayers when deciding which prayers to answer?