Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I do like a big generator like that 6.6kW unit but try picking that up with one hand and putting it in the trunk of your car.
Not a problem for this guy....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hulk.jpg (16.3 KB, 238 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #162

Just browsing emergency preparedness suggestions, I came across this link the other day, which looks interesting. The Best Emergency Preparedness Supplies | The Sweethome

Old 09-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I do like a big generator like that 6.6kW unit but try picking that up with one hand and putting it in the trunk of your car.
6 years ago I was able to load/unload it myself out of the e250 van.

Not sure I could do it now though. It is a tad on the heavy side.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
6 years ago I was able to load/unload it myself out of the e250 van.

Not sure I could do it now though. It is a tad on the heavy side.
Yep, I have an older model of the same generator and they are close to 200 lbs empty. A non-hulk (note I didn't say "hunk" ) guy like me used to struggle to roll it into the back of my truck using ramps. No more - now I don't even try.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

I have the Yamaha EF2000is generator. It is portable and quiet. In case on an emergency, I just want to keep my electronics charged, and a small fridge or possibly a small A/C running.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #166
Full time employment: Posting here.

Consensus models from Wunderground have it hitting the eastern Florida coast somewhere around Miami and tracking north along the coastline.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/hu...owerhouse-irma

A lot of people and buildings in its' path...
Old 09-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just saw on the Weather channel an interview with an older man, who said he had been through 15 hurricanes, and Irma will be his 16th.

He said he moved to FL in 1960, and that there was one year he dodged 3 hurricanes over the course of 1 month. I now have to look up to see what year that was.

By the way, switched to the FoodTV channel, and they were having a contest cooking pancetta. Hmmm... Coincidence?
Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
is there a waiting period for flood insurance? Might be prudent to get a policy now if it will be in effect immediately.
Yes, there is a waiting period.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #169

The latest cat rescue plan has 30 cats being relocated from Jacksonville to Sarasota. This reflects more confidence in the forecast than I have. The Thursday 5 PM update shifted the path west so that Miami takes a direct hit. All it takes is a few more shifts to the west in the next two days and suddenly the Florida west coast gets to enjoy everything that Irma has to offer. IMO a better place for the Jacksonville cats is Atlanta or somewhere in the Florida panhandle. Not fun.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #170
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've used a friend's EU2001 for an outdoor event. Very nice, not too loud, easy to start, etc. Has anyone tried the WEN 56200i at half the price for comparison?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #171

Hurricane Irma

Looks like a direct hit on Miami the latest the track went 15 miles west.
Watching CNN right now
Old 09-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #172

We lost power in Santa Cruz for a few days in the January 1982 floods. I bugged out after the roads opened. We lost power overnight here after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. No big deal. A major earthquake could be more of a problem - maybe a week with no power and longer for roads to reopen. Any opinions on having a generator for that situation? Suggestions?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:58 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
We lost power in Santa Cruz for a few days in the January 1982 floods. I bugged out after the roads opened. We lost power overnight here after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. No big deal. A major earthquake could be more of a problem - maybe a week with no power and longer for roads to reopen. Any opinions on having a generator for that situation? Suggestions?
A couple of questions do you have natural gas where you live? Did it stay on during the events? Given the problem with gasoline supplies if you have natural gas a gas powered generator might be the way to go. If and you have the space for a large tank a propane powered generator might be the way to go. Note that the newer inverter generators are more efficient so you might look at them, plus the produce a cleaner current for electonics.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #174

Have natural gas but there is concern about broken pipes. The advice is to turn it off in the case of a major quake, especially if there are leaks.

I think the plan would to be to power the fridge, a space heater and a light or two. Charge the phones and maybe a laptop. Not sure what communication would be like - cell phones working, cable internet, etc. If the gas is working, use the stove for cooking, otherwise the propane barbecue. Hope not to be camping in the car on the driveway or in a tent in the back yard...
Old 09-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #175

Hurricane Irma

I finally talked to my key west brother... he said he will make a decision tomorrow night on whether to leave. I told him, should he decide to stay, write your name on your arm because it will help with probate.

Yeah I know cruel stuff - I know there will always be a % that won't evacuate. I just hoped it would not be my brother...

He's 60 an older man all I can do is suggest...
Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I finally talked to my key west brother... he said he will make a decision tomorrow night on whether to leave. I told him, should he decide to stay, write your name on your arm because it will help with probate.

Yeah I know cruel stuff - I know there will always be a % that won't evacuate. I just hoped it would not be my brother...

He's 60 an older man all I can do is suggest...
I would have him write his SS number also, but use waterproof ink. Or if he has military dog tags (I kept mine), have him wear them around his neck.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #177

Thursday afternoon. Latest centerline of the Irma predicted path looks to be between the kitchen and the livingroom of my house in Leesburg FL. This could change, but my current selling price for the house, golfcart, Yamaha scooter and all the expensive things inside the house... $8.57.

We are so grateful to be here and relatively safe in Peru, IL. Can only hope that my neighbors in Lake Griffin Harbor will get through this safe and sound. Received a note from there that they have organized block captains, and are having meetings with the older residents to be prepared to move to shelters.

Watching the news, seems like the US has temporarily forgotten Harvey already. The Fl governor said that many millions of people could be affected by this terrible storm. Not big on the radar yet, but Hurricane Jose has already been named, and Katia is aiming at Mexico.

Also:
Quote:
Associated Press, UN estimates that 37 million people will be affected by Irma. …
Can't remember when we've been blasted with so much news... weather, politics and international anxiety.

For those who are going in harm's way... please stay safe...
Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #178
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Watching the news, seems like the US has temporarily forgotten Harvey already.

For those who are going in harm's way... please stay safe...
We here in Houston have not forgotten Harvey. Still many homes under water. Still finding dead bodies. Still empty shelves in stores (although improving) and trouble getting gasoline.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #179

@BCG - yes there is a mandatory 30 day FEMA regulated wait period on new flood policies. I'm in the path of IRMA. South FL. For some reason we had let the Flood policy go a while back, prob when we paid off the mortgage....anyway, I got a new one queued up after Harvey when we realized, but that won't be in effect until 10/1... oi.

Windstorm (roof blowing off, windows, etc.) is part of homeowners. For where we are, 1.5 miles inland, with a storm coming up through 2 counties before us, and staying max 12 hours, I don't think flood will be the main issue.

S. Fla hasn't had a good rainy summer. Water levels (canals, lakes, etc.) are on the low side. That is in our favor.

And yes, we don't have a generator because Aeri ain't camping! With Wilma, on the 2nd full day with no power we high tailed it out and stayed at a hotel for a few days. That's cheaper than a good generator, and less mess.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #180
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
@BCG - yes there is a mandatory 30 day FEMA regulated wait period on new flood policies. I'm in the path of IRMA. South FL. For some reason we had let the Flood policy go a while back, prob when we paid off the mortgage....anyway, I got a new one queued up after Harvey when we realized, but that won't be in effect until 10/1... oi.

Windstorm (roof blowing off, windows, etc.) is part of homeowners. For where we are, 1.5 miles inland, with a storm coming up through 2 counties before us, and staying max 12 hours, I don't think flood will be the main issue.

S. Fla hasn't had a good rainy summer. Water levels (canals, lakes, etc.) are on the low side. That is in our favor.

And yes, we don't have a generator because Aeri ain't camping! With Wilma, on the 2nd full day with no power we high tailed it out and stayed at a hotel for a few days. That's cheaper than a good generator, and less mess.
I think rain is the least of your worries with this one of it hits. And power? If it goes through the state, you might get a hotel room (with power) in Texas....oh wait, all our hotels are full right now as 600,000 people have filed claims with FEMA already.