Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thanks, but.....
I recall Senator is already adding to his portfolio with a rental in Florida.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had been holding out hope that our trip to the Bahamas this weekend was still doable. Clearly 150km/hr wind gusts on Friday would make for a very exciting beach wedding vow renewal, but not one I'm up for. Delta finally added Nassau to the list of places they won't charge fees to change flights.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #83

Just got a phone call from my condo watch lady who lives year-round in my condo community (between Naples and Ft. Myers, FL). She and her hubby are leaving for Valdosta, GA on Wed morning. She said the roads are already getting crowded with folks heading northward.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by YVRRocketSurgery View Post
We're sailing out of FLL for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in a week and a half. Irma will be gone by then but our ports of call are currently Nassau, San Juan, and Philipsburg. Irma sure looks like it's going to just pummel San Juan and Philipsburg. I feel really bad for them because there's no where to go except to hunker down. Whereas, I suspect my cruise will just end up doing a Western itinerary as these place will be cleaning up for a while.
Good news, the San Juan PR Spanish fort will survive, so there will still be an attraction to visit.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #85

I had no trouble filling up the car with gas this morning in Sarasota. Price $2.60/gal - no gouging yet.

For the first time ever I tried to do some hurricane shopping this afternoon. I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.

The local cat shelter is making plans to move 150 kitties to Jacksonville. Can I squeeze into a cat carrier and hitch a ride?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Hurricane Irma
Old 09-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #86

Hurricane Irma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
So what does he think about your armchair quarterbacking ..I think you're probably adding to his stress level.

Mandatory evacuation by Wednesday night; don't know what he thinks because he hasn't responded to me or my sisters phone calls to him.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Mandatory evacuation by Wednesday night; don't know what he thinks because he hasn't responded to me or my sisters phone calls to him.
Great minds think alike..I'm guessing he's pretty busy today.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're packed and ready to leave in the morning, heading from the Tampa area to Atlanta for several days. Probably conservative, but I don't want to be anywhere near 145 mph winds. And if we wait too long, there will be no gas, no hotels, and a parking lot on I-75.

We had concerned calls from my parents and our daughter today, and they were happy we were leaving. We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.
Try moving 150 cats who don't want to be moved.

P.S. Leaving is a good idea. By the time I have reliable information whether I should go, it will too late to do anything.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #90

Keep safe!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #91

Is it hype or the real deal? https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-speed-record Worst hurricane ever?!
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Is it hype or the real deal? https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...d-speed-record Worst hurricane ever?!
I don't know about that, but I do know hurricanes. (Ike, Rita, Harvey).

(Maybe we should move back to Connecticut?) LOL
Old 09-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
..... I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.
If you don't already have empty water containers, how about going to the camping section of Walmart and buying a water jug and then filling that from your tap ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
We're packed and ready to leave in the morning, heading from the Tampa area to Atlanta for several days. Probably conservative, but I don't want to be anywhere near 145 mph winds. And if we wait too long, there will be no gas, no hotels, and a parking lot on I-75.

We had concerned calls from my parents and our daughter today, and they were happy we were leaving. We are also taking MIL who's got dementia and in assisted living. Should be a challenge.
I don't think that's overly conservative, at all! This is a monster storm. Good luck with MIL.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 AM   #95

Quote:
Try moving 150 cats who don't want to be moved.

P.S. Leaving is a good idea. By the time I have reliable information whether I should go, it will too late to do anything.
Haha, I honestly would have to give some thoughts on moving 150 cats vs. MIL

The cone of uncertainty and hurricane predictions are getting better for "reliable information". It's still an individual trade-off, but ER allows us to have the time and money to be able to make a better decision.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:35 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
It's real. FIL used to diss the weather predictions... until he was blasted by Charlie
Old 09-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't think that's overly conservative, at all! This is a monster storm. Good luck with MIL.
Thanks! Should be packing her up soon.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:13 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
You might want to check the vegan section:

there's a reason for that.

In all seriousness. Prayers to all that are in it's path and friends from Florida, please don't be "heroic", be safe and leave if you have to.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #99

Quote:
I had no trouble filling up the car with gas this morning in Sarasota. Price $2.60/gal - no gouging yet.

For the first time ever I tried to do some hurricane shopping this afternoon. I went to Target and Publix. Both places were out of water (more coming, they both said). No 'D' batteries at Target; I picked up the last package at Publix. Plenty of nutritionally-deficient empty calories still available to keep the body fueled, but potable water is more important.

The local cat shelter is making plans to move 150 kitties to Jacksonville. Can I squeeze into a cat carrier and hitch a ride?
I'm in Jacksonville and the panic is already setting in. We are more than likely quite safe until Sunday night into Monday. Long lines at gas stations already and some reporting running out of gas. Irma was reporting to have turned east late last night. Hopefully she will continue to turn east right back out into the Atlantic (I know, wishful thinking). Still no concrete plans for me and my family. We'll know more in the next 48 hours.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
I'm in Jacksonville and the panic is already setting in.
Based on the Wednesday morning predicted storm track, I'd rather be in Sarasota than Jacksonville. Irma is sufficiently powerful that even if it goes up the east coast it will cause lots of thrashing around here on the west coast. It's still early - the experts might change their minds (again).

On the positive side, no one is predicting that the storm is going to stall out and hang around for days dumping huge amounts of rain.