Hurricane Irma

We are in North East Florida, all the tracks (Currently) head for us on the way to South Carolina. Still uncertain at this point. Just making plans at the moment and putting things in what we hope will be safe places. We will decide whether to evacuate later, perhaps Saturday or Sunday.

Why does God allow hurricanes to develop? Maybe it's the work of the devil, and God could not help either.

A short time ago, I posted a French song where a little girl asked an old man some tough questions, one of which was about God. See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/why-would-a-bot-want-to-know-87869-2.html#post1917500

Pourquoi le diable et le bon Dieu? / Why the devil and the good God?
C'est pour faire parler les curieux. / It's to make the curious talk.

One of the biggest, baddest and meanest hurricanes of modern times should be interesting enough to keep us on track and on topic, don't ya' think? :)

The problem is we are mentioning names when we should have kept the Hurricane hypothetical

:D

Just kidding. Where is that hiding under a table emoticon...

You are basically praying for the storm to hit the Bahamas more than Florida...there are people in the Bahamas praying for it to shift more to the west. I'm sure there are more people praying for Florida than the Bahamas just based on population and I wonder if God considers the total number of conflicting prayers when deciding which prayers to answer?
Nope, estadounidenses go to the head of the queue.

Ha

Last edited:
What will this run? Can you run a freezer and fridge at the same time?

I was looking at the 2800 model... EB2800... not as portable but has a bigger tank and runs longer... it also looks like it can run a small AC unit as it draws 4 to 8 amps for a smaller unit...

Electric Generator Depot - Honda EB2800i 2,800-Watt 120-Volt Industrial Inverter Generator - EB2800iXA

The 2000 (which is really 1600 watts continuous rated) will run a small window unit (something less than 9000 BTU) so it might run a freezer and fridge at the same time if they didn't both try to start up at the same time.

It will run a chop saw (which may or may not be useful in a hurricane). It easily will run a microwave or a tv/computer.

The 2000 (which is really 1600 watts continuous rated) will run a small window unit (something less than 9000 BTU) so it might run a freezer and fridge at the same time if they didn't both try to start up at the same time.

It will run a chop saw (which may or may not be useful in a hurricane). It easily will run a microwave or a tv/computer.

I'm reading this wondering why I know so much about generators :facepalm:

anyway, I brought this up with me from htown and haven't used it since Ike

Electric Generator Depot - Generac 5976 GP6500 6500 Watt 7.2 Gallon Portable Generator Csa Approved 389cc

It ran a fridge, a window A/C unit, microwave, coffee maker, a few TVs and some lights until we got the standby generator fixed

I like the EU2000i mostly because it is very small, light, and fairly quiet. All good things for being mobile and going camping. I do like a big generator like that 6.6kW unit but try picking that up with one hand and putting it in the trunk of your car.

I do like a big generator like that 6.6kW unit but try picking that up with one hand and putting it in the trunk of your car.

Not a problem for this guy....

Attachments

• hulk.jpg
    hulk.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 241
I do like a big generator like that 6.6kW unit but try picking that up with one hand and putting it in the trunk of your car.

6 years ago I was able to load/unload it myself out of the e250 van.

Not sure I could do it now though. It is a tad on the heavy side.

6 years ago I was able to load/unload it myself out of the e250 van.

Not sure I could do it now though. It is a tad on the heavy side.

Yep, I have an older model of the same generator and they are close to 200 lbs empty. A non-hulk (note I didn't say "hunk" :) ) guy like me used to struggle to roll it into the back of my truck using ramps. No more - now I don't even try.

I have the Yamaha EF2000is generator. It is portable and quiet. In case on an emergency, I just want to keep my electronics charged, and a small fridge or possibly a small A/C running.

Just saw on the Weather channel an interview with an older man, who said he had been through 15 hurricanes, and Irma will be his 16th.

He said he moved to FL in 1960, and that there was one year he dodged 3 hurricanes over the course of 1 month. I now have to look up to see what year that was.

By the way, switched to the FoodTV channel, and they were having a contest cooking pancetta. Hmmm... Coincidence?

The latest cat rescue plan has 30 cats being relocated from Jacksonville to Sarasota. This reflects more confidence in the forecast than I have. The Thursday 5 PM update shifted the path west so that Miami takes a direct hit. All it takes is a few more shifts to the west in the next two days and suddenly the Florida west coast gets to enjoy everything that Irma has to offer. IMO a better place for the Jacksonville cats is Atlanta or somewhere in the Florida panhandle. Not fun. :nonono:

I've used a friend's EU2001 for an outdoor event. Very nice, not too loud, easy to start, etc. Has anyone tried the WEN 56200i at half the price for comparison?

Looks like a direct hit on Miami the latest the track went 15 miles west.
Watching CNN right now

We lost power in Santa Cruz for a few days in the January 1982 floods. I bugged out after the roads opened. We lost power overnight here after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. No big deal. A major earthquake could be more of a problem - maybe a week with no power and longer for roads to reopen. Any opinions on having a generator for that situation? Suggestions?

We lost power in Santa Cruz for a few days in the January 1982 floods. I bugged out after the roads opened. We lost power overnight here after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. No big deal. A major earthquake could be more of a problem - maybe a week with no power and longer for roads to reopen. Any opinions on having a generator for that situation? Suggestions?

A couple of questions do you have natural gas where you live? Did it stay on during the events? Given the problem with gasoline supplies if you have natural gas a gas powered generator might be the way to go. If and you have the space for a large tank a propane powered generator might be the way to go. Note that the newer inverter generators are more efficient so you might look at them, plus the produce a cleaner current for electonics.

Have natural gas but there is concern about broken pipes. The advice is to turn it off in the case of a major quake, especially if there are leaks.

I think the plan would to be to power the fridge, a space heater and a light or two. Charge the phones and maybe a laptop. Not sure what communication would be like - cell phones working, cable internet, etc. If the gas is working, use the stove for cooking, otherwise the propane barbecue. Hope not to be camping in the car on the driveway or in a tent in the back yard...

I finally talked to my key west brother... he said he will make a decision tomorrow night on whether to leave. I told him, should he decide to stay, write your name on your arm because it will help with probate.

Yeah I know cruel stuff - I know there will always be a % that won't evacuate. I just hoped it would not be my brother...

He's 60 an older man all I can do is suggest...

Back
Top Bottom