Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good news on our winter condo in Sarasota. In our condo complex some trees down and lots of branches no structural damage to buildings or infrastrucutre. Our power was out for ~48 hours but is now back on. A neighbor checked our place and all is well.

I had put a baggie of ice cubes in the freezer when we left in April and the neighbor said that it was a solid block of ice... so sometime between April and now the freezer was out long enough for the ice cubes to melt and then refreeze so we'll pitch a lot of the stuff in the freezer when we get back but IIRC we didn't have much in there so it is not a big loss.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #382
Recycles dryer sheets

Got power restored this morning. Grateful the storm shifted a bit east before making its way past us. My house came out fine lots of debris to pick up in the yard but no damage. Had to help my sister make temporary repairs to the roof of her mobile home yesterday. All in all we were very lucky.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #383
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The family beach house on Saint Simons Island GA apparently got just a little bit of storm surge water inside the house - well less than an inch, but still enough to dampen the whole first floor. I say "apparently", because we are relying on the report of a first responder neighbor. There is no power and homeowners are still not allowed back yet.

While we've dodged a bullet, we are concerned that this relatively small impact will worsen, as surge water just sits inside for perhaps days. The refrigerator/freezer is getting grosser by the minute. We also don't know if the compressor (still on the ground) was ruined or how much it was submerged (if any). There was only carpet in one room on the first floor, but I just don't know if this small amount of surge water got behind baseboards and soaked into sheetrock.

Any experience out there with slight flooding and mold? (My biggest fear...)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #384
Give me a forum ...

Glad to see many of the lovely palm trees survived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Our power is back on our First Coast Barrier Island today. Jax Beach was flooded though 50 miles North of us. We faired fine all in all. Lots of clean up today, no significant home damage, but things could have been VERY different if this had hit my roof (See Pic). Another 5' would have been an insurance claim.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #385
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just talked to my neighbor, there is no damage to my home in North Port FL. There were few falling trees in the neighborhood and the power was out for few hours that night.

We were aways the last 3.5 months (spending time in Portland OR), heading back to Florida tomorrow.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #386
Give me a forum ...

Our palm trees are leaning at 45 degrees or so. I'll have to find out whether they can be pulled back up or if we should take them down and re-plant. I'm surprised there's a palm tree left in FL considering how small their root systems are.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Just talked to Louie C Rocks a DJ who rode the storm out in KW and who is there right now.
Key West was not destroyed ( KW is in OK )
The 25% people who lost home is correct , these are mostly people who live in travel trailers and motor homes.
!
They have trailer parks in Key West? I thought the keys was all big bucks?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I think you are assuming cheap equates to low cost. The trailer may be inexpensive, but the land you put it on isn't.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think you are assuming cheap equates to low cost. The trailer may be inexpensive, but the land you put it on isn't.
Ya had to ruin my exodus to the Keys
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #390
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Our palm trees are leaning at 45 degrees or so. I'll have to find out whether they can be pulled back up or if we should take them down and re-plant. I'm surprised there's a palm tree left in FL considering how small their root systems are.
I have not seen any palm trees down just oak trees.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #391
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
They have trailer parks in all the expensive areas of Florida . They came first . Those trailers even the shitty ones sell for well over $350,000.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #392

Quote:
I'm surprised there's a palm tree left in FL considering how small their root systems are.
My royal palm lost half its fronds but stayed upright, which is its survival strategy for tropical storms/hurricanes. There are other palm species which aren't able to shed their fronds and thus are more likely to topple over in a storm.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
They have trailer parks in all the expensive areas of Florida . They came first . Those trailers even the shitty ones sell for well over $350,000.
Wow, I was thinking trailer park 25K. Never knew they go that high. I personally never saw one in person as they are outlawed here. (OK there is one In Staten Island near Jersey, but never saw it, knew anyone that lived there)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
I just heard from a neighbor that with the exception of a few screens from a neighbors pool cage sitting on my roof and some significant tree damage, my house looks fine in Fort Myers.

I had braced myself for much worse, given that I didn't put up the storm shutters before leaving last Tuesday.

Waiting to hear when power is restored and flights resume, so I can get down there and see for myself.

Such a relief!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We arrived home at noon today and power was on . I am so happy .Our one fence seems to be leaning a little but that is it.
Great to hear. We arrived home around 4:30 p.m. yesterday after a long 9 hour drive. We took back roads instead of 75, which was a parking lot. No gas anywhere. Traffic lights out many places and many trees down. Thankfully we were able to fill up in Georgia beforehand and made it without any issues.

We were extremely relieved to confirm no damage to our townhouse, not even to our screened in lanai. There was a large tree down out back which took out part of the development's fence, as well as a smaller tree. Very thankful the palm tree in front of our property did not crash into our place!

The power was on when we arrived - so very, very thankful for that! It had been out about 12 hours according to my neighbors.

My college will not re-open for classes until next Monday.

Sleeping in my own bed last night was heaven!

Old 09-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Reports from folks at my condo complex in Estero indicate no damage to buildings. The giant Cheekee hut in the pool area survived, too. Lots of downed trees and branches on nearby roads.

Someone sent me a text stating that a large palm tree had fallen alongside my condo. It should be cleared away before I arrive in ~6 weeks.

Coconut Point Mall has had its power restored this morning. The Publix and Target stores there are open for business.

omni
So glad to hear this omni!

Old 09-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Good news on our winter condo in Sarasota. In our condo complex some trees down and lots of branches no structural damage to buildings or infrastrucutre. Our power was out for ~48 hours but is now back on. A neighbor checked our place and all is well.

I had put a baggie of ice cubes in the freezer when we left in April and the neighbor said that it was a solid block of ice... so sometime between April and now the freezer was out long enough for the ice cubes to melt and then refreeze so we'll pitch a lot of the stuff in the freezer when we get back but IIRC we didn't have much in there so it is not a big loss.
Glad to hear all is well with your condo!

We had put a toothpick on top of a frozen block of ice inside a plastic tub. When we came home, the toothpick had not sunk down into the ice at all - so our freezer held up well. Neighbors say the power was off about 12 hrs.

I pitched the creamer, etc. from the fridge but thankfully had taken most of the items that were perishable in a cooler with us when we evacuated.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #398

Just got back to power at our place near Clearwater Beach. No damage, everything up and running. So grateful that it was not worse. A LOT of cleanup though in our area and across the state that we witnessed during our return from evacuation to Disney.

On I-4 we witnessed convoys of teams of Ohio Edison and North Carolina. Plus, other convoys of tree removal and various other help on the way. THANK YOU EVERYONE. I get the feeling my wife will be handing out $20 bills for a while.

And BTW, Disney was absolutely incredible!! If you ever consider evacuating, this is a great place. They did everything they could to entertain, feed, and keep us safe. We were so lucky to get a room at the day before Irma hit.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #399

Oh and at Disney, the power never even flickered. I think they have their own system.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #400

Sarasota County Gov just sent an alert saying if you don't have power to limit use of water and putting things down drains - ie. minimize flushing toilets, etc. In the areas without power, apparently sewer stations are not functioning. Could result in sewer backup issues! 😲

I know a friend's neighbor is already having issues with this.