Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've been through several Cat 2's and one Cat 3 in my life. I was about 40 miles inland for all of them. No way would I stay anywhere near the coast with a Cat 4 or 5 projected to head my way.
No way I would stay either Car-Guy. I hope anyone near the coasts or rivers and lakes that may back up and flood gets out and does so in time. There is a point when it's too late.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Surprised that there are already folks coming into local shelters when the storm is still a few days away.
About 10 years ago, we tried to evacuate from a Cat 3 storm heading for Houston when the storm was still 36 to 48 hours out at sea. After 10 to 12 hours sitting on the freeways (and moving about 1/2 mile each hour, at best) we turned around, went home and rode out the storm. (Made it home in ~15 mins) The next storm we left 3 days in advance and made it out. I can understand it.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
This is my first hurricane. I'm in Cocoa, like a block from the river. I'm on the fence about whether to evacuate or not, especially considering the home owner doesn't have any kind of anything to cover up the windows with. I'm more used to earthquakes. No suspense to get all worked up about.
Howdy neighbor!
Friend of mine and his wife just built a new house (almost finished) on North Merritt Island and they are staying.......dunno if it is a good idea but they are adults and can make their own decisions.
Our house on Cocoa Beach has a tenant, and we are overseas, so only thing we can do is watch and wait and see.....hopefully I won't have to deal with insurance companies from halfway around the world!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:53 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Made it to the opposite coast in a seedy little hotel because everything else that would accept animals is booked.

No one on the block I was on had any inclination to board up their windows. The more I find out about hurricanes the more baffled I am. Maybe if they don't bother, Matthew won't bother them?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #45

anyone hosting a hurricane party?
Old 10-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Not a good idea.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not a good idea.
did a few when I was a kid but we were in a cinder block dormitory

as an adult, I try and stay as sober as possible during hurricanes
Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah, hurricane parties. As a kid in Central FL in the 60's no one seemed to worry about hurricanes, of course we could not track them as we do now.
The only one I ever fled from was Katrina, we lived on the coast in MS then.
If there is any doubt in your mind GO! Even if you stay, fill your car with gas, the pumps don't work without electricity. Get small bills at the bank, no sense paying $20.00 because you do not have a 5.
Be safe out there
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
Ah, hurricane parties. As a kid in Central FL in the 60's no one seemed to worry about hurricanes, of course we could not track them as we do now.
The only one I ever fled from was Katrina, we lived on the coast in MS then.
If there is any doubt in your mind GO! Even if you stay, fill your car with gas, the pumps don't work without electricity. Get small bills at the bank, no sense paying $20.00 because you do not have a 5.
Be safe out there
kinda late to be prepping - when I lived in TX all vehicles had at least a half tank in them between june and nov inclusive

prep should be done in May, js
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Made it to the opposite coast in a seedy little hotel because everything else that would accept animals is booked.

No one on the block I was on had any inclination to board up their windows. The more I find out about hurricanes the more baffled I am. Maybe if they don't bother, Matthew won't bother them?
Glad you made it, how long did it take, how was the drive ?

It will be interesting for you, when you return to see what survives, especially without boarded up windows.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:13 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Glad you made it, how long did it take, how was the drive ?

It will be interesting for you, when you return to see what survives, especially without boarded up windows.
We left around 7:30 last night, got here in good time. There was no stop and go traffic at any time, only ever had to go under the speed limit at a couple construction sites.

Home owner evacuated and left her pet locked in her room. Poor thing is going to be terrified to death.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #52

Hope everyone stays safe. I can remember back in the 80s when a cat5 storm was projected to track through Long Island and hit Stamford, CT. I went into work in downtown stamford in early morning along with only a few other employees, but left and headed home to Ridgefield before things got bad. It was a very harrowing ride home with trees coming down along the way due to the wind and heavy rain. The weather said that downtown Stamford would be leveled had the Cat 5 hit as expected, but it diminished in strength before going thru Long Island, nevertheless, was a very nasty hurricane.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #53

^^ hurricane bob?
Old 10-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I last hosted a hurricane party(for Katrina) in Memphis - believe it or not the hotel lobby flooded with several inches from the outer bands of rain.

May good luck, common sense and the art of exit bless those affected/effected by this one.

heh heh heh 1975 - 2005 We always moved to 'safe' areas for hurricanes in New Orleans.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #55

Quote:
^^ hurricane bob?
No Gloria
Old 10-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #56

The hurricane is sort of affecting us. I went to extend the stay at the state park we are in this week (in south Georgia) and they said it was all booked up with evacuees.

So now we are going to have to boondock somewhere and probably not legally. The upside there is I doubt we would get a ticket since everything is in state of emergency. I think we will just find a county or city park to spend Friday and Saturday night in our RV. Everything including hotels is booked solid.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #57

Quote:
...Home owner evacuated and left her pet locked in her room. Poor thing is going to be terrified to death.
Possibly it will be dead, starved or dehydrated to death. What a dumb homeowner.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #58
Administrator

Wow, what an amazing cone! You've probably seen this graphic, but if not look at the five day cone loop down towards the southwest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matthew.jpg.jpg (99.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-07-2016, 06:03 AM   #59

That curved track is crazy! And with Nicole out there, too, this is a busy October.
Quiet still this am in Charleston, just breezy and cool. I'll be volunteering again today, but back home in time to hunker down with the pets.

If any of you are weather/tech kinkiest like me, the new storm surge prototype maps on NHC.gov are fascinating. Some of the areas that are forecast to have big changes in water levels are quite a long way from the ocean. One I noted was the area around Yemassee, SC, which is on Hwy 17 above Beaufort, just before I-95. That area is very low, and when I checked out the map yesterday, it showed levels rising more than 6 feet.

Where we are is fairly high elevation, though we are within a couple of miles of the ocean and very close to the ICW. Won't be flooding here but I imagine I could navigate the whole creek behind our house tomorrow if I were so inclined!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:16 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, what an amazing cone! You've probably seen this graphic, but if not look at the five day cone loop down towards the southwest!
i've seen that object drawn on my car window a few times, never could figure it out