Husband kills sick wife due to costly meds

This shows how the cost of medication in this country has been out of control. There should be some control over pharma. So sorry that you and hubby had to undergo such difficulties.

Amen!!

My husband suffered and died from Acute myloid leukemia. After chemo he became neutropenic and need two shots a day to help his white blood cell production. even with two major health insurance the drug was 100 bucks a shot. so 200 bucks a day over 13 months, (not straight) well you get the picture, Not to mention the myriad of other charges that come along like 250 a month parking fee because the hospital did not give free parking even to patients.

Now I never had to make the choice between food or medicine, thank
God but I can tell you I was one of those naïve people who thought that with once my deductible was met I was ok.

I know differently now. I can attest to the feeling of utter hopelessness

Last edited:
That's terrible. When you say 'good nest egg for retirement', what kind of amount did he have that was lost to medication?

This story is disturbing on several levels. Reminds me of my brother's Ex's mom and step dad (I know, a lot of family relationships). An older couple who I think the step dad was an engineer and had a pretty good nest egg for retirement. But barely into that, his wife had cancer then died. Then he had cancer the following year and died too. Their savings pretty much wiped out. Sad but I bet not too uncommon.

That's terrible. When you say 'good nest egg for retirement', what kind of amount did he have that was lost to medication?

I think they had about 500K. But I should clarify that was lost to medical bills not covered by insurance and not medication alone. He probably should just just not paid and let the bills pile up. I wonder in that case what what would have happened to the money (would the hospitals line up as a creditor to the estate or just absorb the unpaid bills).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom