Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Around here the UPS brown delivery trucks are all hybrid and they look similar in size to small RV's so maybe it won't be too long.
I thought UPS was using hydraulic hybrids, designed to optimize savings during stop & go driving. Looks great for delivery routes but not sure how applicable that technology might be to the world of RV's.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But it is really hopeless for the conventional brick-like class C. As I described in an earlier post, the terminal velocity of my class C is only around 65mph going down a 6% slope. That's when the aero drag is equal to the gravity pulling the vehicle down.

So, when traveling 65mph on level ground, overcoming that aero drag requires the same force as pushing a perfectly streamlined vehicle up a 6% slope. That's terrible!
Perhaps we're in for a future of aerodynamically streamlined class C's? I'm thinking we're probably a way off from that.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I am talking about aerodynamic drag, can anyone here take a guess of how much drag is on a rifle bullet, such as an M-16 round?

It's HUGE! Out of curiosity, I once consulted a ballistic table that showed muzzle velocity of a round, and then its velocity at 1000 ft, 3000 ft, etc... I then assumed that the bullet underwent constant deceleration due to aero drag as it exited the muzzle, and computed that deceleration.

I do not remember the exact number, but it was several G's of deceleration.

And many air-to-air missiles decelerate as fast as that bullet after their propellant burn out.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought UPS was using hydraulic hybrids, designed to optimize savings during stop & go driving. Looks great for delivery routes but not sure how applicable that technology might be to the world of RV's.
Cool

I'd just noticed the hybrid drive words on the side, and not looked into it in detail.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Perhaps we're in for a future of aerodynamically streamlined class C's? I'm thinking we're probably a way off from that.
Class C RV makers do not even bother to round-off any edges of the MH body, except for premium makers like Chinook and some other brands.

Glenn Morrissette of the "To Simplify" RV blog reported something like 13mpg on his Chinook, while I cannot get more than 9.8mpg on mine. And as you probably know already, he is downsizing to a Vanagon, mainly because of his gas bill.

Yes, it's sad. I usually stop at Costco for gas in my RV trips (to save a few bucks), and while I spent 10 min pumping gas and felt sorry for the motorist waiting behind me, he probably felt sorry for me spending that money. And I have read of an RV'er with a big class A (a converted double-deck bus) holding 300+ gal of diesel.

And he got bored with RV and bought a boat with a fuel capacity of 3300 gal.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 PM   #66

The lady who lives out of her Prius had it figured out quite well. I like how she can leave her heater on all night, and the engine only runs very occasionally when needed - plus, when it does so, it is quiet, so won't disturb her.

It was that fact, plus the fuel economy, that got me to wondering about the application of hybrid technology to RV's.

Once the same chassis' that are now used for class B's and class C's become hybrid, we might see some of the custom manufacturers such as Chinook, Roadtrek, LazyDaze etc develop new streamlined body designs. I look forward to that day. Actually, on my budget, I look forward to that day + 10 years, so I can afford to buy a nice used one, by which time my RV days will be behind me
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

But for a single person, you can get a used Sprinter-based class B diesel with decent MPG right now.

Or you can spend the time to build your own travel trailer like this guy who puts enough solar cells on top, such that he could run a small A/C from the solar panels! Yes, that is the first! It requires much better insulation than is in factory trailers.

It worked, but he is ripping the walls out to put in even more insulation. Said it was OK up to 95F outside temperature, but he wanted better.

If you do not know of this guy, search for "over the top cargo trailer". Really cool!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Chuckanut, I have a Lincoln MKZ hybrid. It's sweet!!! It has more room than the
Prius and consistently gets between 39 and 42 mpg over the two years I've owned it. We drove it from NJ to Cape Cod and back last year and it was a dream.
The 2013 model is improved - supposed to get up to 47 mpg with lithium ion batteries.

Go for it! The Lincoln is the smoothest and most spacious hybrid on the road today - and its 100% American made.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

How about repairs and maintenance costs? I figure anybody can do an oil change but what happens if the drive train needs work? Is that something only a Toyota dealer can handle? I have a good independent repair shop near me that I trust.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestatime View Post
Chuckanut, I have a Lincoln MKZ hybrid. It's sweet!!! It has more room than the
Prius and consistently gets between 39 and 42 mpg over the two years I've owned it. We drove it from NJ to Cape Cod and back last year and it was a dream.
The 2013 model is improved - supposed to get up to 47 mpg with lithium ion batteries.

Go for it! The Lincoln is the smoothest and most spacious hybrid on the road today - and its 100% American made.
Does Ford know that?

http://media.lincoln.com/images/1003...brid_Specs.pdf

Quote:
Final assembly location Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant, Mexico
I found scads of other websites confirming Mexico...

And domestic content for the 2011 MKZ 2.5L HEV looks like 20%, with 45% Mexico & 20% Japan?
Attached Images
File Type: png DC.png (150.4 KB, 2 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Tire threads aside, here's why one should be careful with armadillos: leprosy!

PS. Leprosy should now be added as another item in the list of hazards for living in Texas.
Yeah, I do admit we have plenty of them around where I live. But they are pretty widespread - I see plenty of armadillos in Georgia, for example.

The leprosy carrier thing has been known for a loooong time. I've never had the urge to pick an armadillo up, although their eyesight is so poor they'll walk right up to you if you don't watch it.

The other day I was amused watching an armadillo - he sure looked like he was carefully sneaking past that border patrol vehicle. But he was headed for Mexico!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #72
Dryer sheet aficionado

One more sidetrack on the Prius, some of the tech and Prius sites talk about using the the Prius as a small whole house backup generator. Probably would not consider it with one under warranty but an older model maybe, first by installing an inverter (a large UPS)in the house then using the Prius to charge the UPS. One link to one of the tech sites:

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/arch...p/t-12962.html

We have a class A with a diesel generator and a Honda EU2000i for emergency backup but still an interesting concept. You could drive the Prius everyday keeping the gas tank full and have a instantly available backup generator without having to worry about storing gas cans, etc.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siestatime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Does Ford know that?

http://media.lincoln.com/images/1003...brid_Specs.pdf

I found scads of other websites confirming Mexico...
North American...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
North American...
I guess I need to find Japan on a map again, didn't realize it was in North America...

Is any volume production car 100% American any more?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I guess I need to find Japan on a map again, didn't realize it was in North America...

Is any volume production car 100% American any more?
Picky picky...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
How about repairs and maintenance costs? I figure anybody can do an oil change but what happens if the drive train needs work? Is that something only a Toyota dealer can handle? I have a good independent repair shop near me that I trust.
I've driven an Escape hybrid for 6 years and the good news is that I've never had an issue with the unique hybrid components (I did have some front suspension / steering work done). The bad news is that there are some failures that only a dealer can fix and not all dealers have a hybrid trained tech on hand. So, conceivably you could have a failure in the middle of nowhere and be hosed.

Prius owners are probably in better shape due to the higher sales volume.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've driven an Escape hybrid for 6 years and the good news is that I've never had an issue with the unique hybrid components (I did have some front suspension / steering work done). The bad news is that there are some failures that only a dealer can fix and not all dealers have a hybrid trained tech on hand. So, conceivably you could have a failure in the middle of nowhere and be hosed.

Prius owners are probably in better shape due to the higher sales volume.
And Ford is phasing out the Escape hybrid, replacing it with the Ecoboost in the 2013 model.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #78

I suspect the Prius will prove to be a surprisingly long-lived car with few mechanical problems due to the mechanically simple and rugged planetary gear drive system and the way the IC engine is coddled relative to a traditional car. But I could be wrong, or perhaps the fears of uber-expensive battery issues could still prove true, or perhaps the electric motors and computers may exhibit wear or degradation I don't anticipate. But it looks like a system built to last a long time with no major repairs.

That said, if it breaks down you can't get a jump start or push start and continue on your way.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Over the last 25 years we have had several Toyotas including Corollas, Camrys and Tundras and never had any major components fail, and the 2 Camrys were aged 9 and 10 years with over 100k miles.

We've had our Prius over 5 years now and it has done ~69k miles with no issues except the 12v battery failing after 2.9 years, and the dealer replaced it at no charge (pun intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim View Post
That said, if it breaks down you can't get a jump start or push start and continue on your way.
Sure you can get a jump start provided it is just a dead battery. I've had 2 jump starts, once when the battery failed, and once when we let the car stand for 5 days with the tailgate open (and dome light on).
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterbill View Post
One more sidetrack on the Prius, some of the tech and Prius sites talk about using the the Prius as a small whole house backup generator. Probably would not consider it with one under warranty but an older model maybe, first by installing an inverter (a large UPS)in the house then using the Prius to charge the UPS. One link to one of the tech sites:

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/arch...p/t-12962.html

We have a class A with a diesel generator and a Honda EU2000i for emergency backup but still an interesting concept. You could drive the Prius everyday keeping the gas tank full and have a instantly available backup generator without having to worry about storing gas cans, etc.
I have also entertained the idea of getting a used Prius, and playing with it this way. Too bad it cannot be flat-towed to serve both as a toad and a generator for my RV. As a generator, it most likely burns more gas than an Onan genset, but surely is a lot quieter.