Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know anything about bikes but I try to read this site whenever its time to buy something: The Best Hybrid Bike | The Sweethome
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the great advice. This group always come through. Looks like a trip to the local bike shop needs to be scheduled ASAP.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Any thoughts on Norco bikes? I am looking at one of their hybrids in the $600 range. The model is the Indie 3.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had not heard of the Norco. Reviewing online, it has a long Canadian history. Cannondale is now owned by a Canadian company, too.

The components look OK but on the lower end. That is not a bad thing as they are considered fine. With an aluminum frame I expect the weight is OK. I am not sure if their is a premium for disc brakes. They are likely overkill but if you do ride in wet conditions, it adds some safety. But that is honestly a stretch as rim brakes work really well especially at the speeds most of us ride. I can't really comment on the price as it compares to other choices.

However, reviewing a bike without knowing how you plan to ride it is not fair to you or the bike. Kind of like like asking for thoughts about a Dodge pick-up? A lot depends on what you are going to do with it. Want to ride in ultimate comfort, the pick-up may not be for you. Want to take sexy turns, you may be better off with a sports car, etc.

Having said all this, no matter what else you do, take the bike for a ride. Make sure it can be set up for you properly. The saddle feels comfortable. You are not reaching too far for the handle bars. You are happy with the way it shifts. The brakes work well for you. The wheel base is long enough for taking road bumps comfortably, If you ever want fenders or the ability to add a rack/bags, you will be able to do that. Etc.

Hope this helps.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #25

As I said earlier, REI is a great source, both for information and products. When I was ready to buy a new one last year, I went to one of the largest REI stores (Denver) since I happened to be there. I expected to just do a bit of research but ended up buying one.

I walked into the bike department and asked the first employee I saw "Who's the bike guru; I need lots of help." She replied "That would be me."

I spent the next 15 minutes asking and answering about a million questions until she felt she knew what to tell me. She had a video gadget that measured me for the bike height within about a minute. Then she dug out a bike that looked cool and asked me to try it. Disk brakes, shock absorbing front fork, lots of good features. She adjusted the seat height for me and let me take it out for a spin. "Just have it back here within about 45 minutes."

I absolutely loved it and since it was a closeout item I saved some serious money. They shipped it to my local REI store at no charge, where they tuned it up and handed it over. Great service.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've had a Giant Sedona for a number of years and like it. The new ones don't seem to have disc brakes anymore, which is a feature that I like.
+1 on Giant Sedona. I've logged about 3000 miles on mine with no problems so far. Comfortable and easy to ride. The handlebars easily adjust so you don't have to lean on your wrists much.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Back in the day, 10 years ago LOL, we 'd call that a cruiser or a beach bike.
The only issue with those is almost 100% of your weight is on your bum, which limits how long/far you can ride without discomfort. For shorter rides, they are fun though.
I've never been much of a bike rider, except when I was a kid with a paper route, but we occasionally do some short rides on our Electra Townies. I would probably ride more but I get a serious case of numb nuts riding. I've tried different seats, which helps a bit, but if I'm on the bike for more than half an hour I'm completely numb in the groin area, and can barely walk. Do you think this is because of the sitting position? If you ride a more traditional bike, where is the weight kept?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I've never been much of a bike rider, except when I was a kid with a paper route, but we occasionally do some short rides on our Electra Townies. I would probably ride more but I get a serious case of numb nuts riding. I've tried different seats, which helps a bit, but if I'm on the bike for more than half an hour I'm completely numb in the groin area, and can barely walk. Do you think this is because of the sitting position? If you ride a more traditional bike, where is the weight kept?
Here is an article that might help. I'll bet the primary cause is the saddle (but read the article as that is a guess from hundreds of miles away, without any evidence. Many people think a wide, cushion saddle is best. But as you will see in the article, it is associated with less comfort. But position of the handle bars, distance to the pedals, etc make a difference.

If you want to ride in comfort and do not mind spending a few bucks, you can find a person, at your LBS and/or independent, who fits people on bikes.

My most comfortable saddle is a Brooks B-17 leather saddle which is very hard. It is the saddle that you will see most people using who bicycle tour and ride 50 miles+ day after day. The other one I have on my city bike is the Terry made for men. That has some cushion but with a cutout.

Groin Numbness and Bike Riding – Causes, Symptoms and Signs on MedicineNet.com
Old 03-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Here is an article that might help. I'll bet the primary cause is the saddle (but read the article as that is a guess from hundreds of miles away, without any evidence. Many people think a wide, cushion saddle is best. But as you will see in the article, it is associated with less comfort. But position of the handle bars, distance to the pedals, etc make a difference.
Thanks for the article. But I think you misread the saddle part. The article is saying that a wide saddle is better than narrow for avoiding numbness.
Quote:
Interestingly, in a study on saddle shape and penile blood flow, a narrow saddle was associated with greater reductions in penile blood flow than a wider saddle, leading the researchers to conclude that the narrow saddle could be a source of blunt perineal trauma. In a study involving computer analysis of forces on the perineum with wide and narrow saddle design, it was also shown that a wide saddle capable of supporting the sit bones was superior for reducing perineal stress compared with a narrow saddle.
Maybe I'll rent a few different bikes to try and find one that works better. I would like to ride more, especially when I'm down here in FL. I've actually found a design for a DIY bike-pulled kayak trailer that I'm going to build, since I have nearby access to a couple of rivers and bays, as well as the Gulf.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bet your pelvis is tilted forward slightly putting pressure on your boys. You may be too far from the bar or the pedals or both. You also may not have as much upper body flexibility, causing you to lean. Have a shop fit you and see what they think.
On a road bike your weight is more distributed over your bum and hands, but you never want to overweight your hands either. Those can go numb as well.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #31

Quote:
I had similar problems with my bike, so I switched to a Sunlite Cloud-9 seat about six years ago. It eliminated any numbness, and I find it more comfortable. I also adjusted the tilt of the seat so more weight is riding on my rear. This is the exact model I bought, from Niagara Cycle (they're out of stock now). Sunlite Cloud-9, Suspension Comfort Saddles, Comfort Gel Plus, Black Emerald
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the article. But I think you misread the saddle part. The article is saying that a wide saddle is better than narrow for avoiding numbness. Maybe I'll rent a few different bikes to try and find one that works better. I would like to ride more, especially when I'm down here in FL. I've actually found a design for a DIY bike-pulled kayak trailer that I'm going to build, since I have nearby access to a couple of rivers and bays, as well as the Gulf.
Width is relative though with bike seats. I have a seat that supports my sit bones well and I've done as much as 200 mile rides in a day. By road standards it is considered wide though, but for a cruiser it would be narrow. The tractor seat type saddles are usually a no no unless you are so wide that you need it to contact your sit bones. There are also saddles with cutout sections in the center to alleviate contact in the center. I've had good luck with those too.
Here's what I ride. https://www.proform.com/tdfaccessori...ent=Treadmills
Old 03-25-2017, 05:30 AM   #33

2 or 3 years ago I researched a number of hybrids to find a suitable one for my wife. There were 3 bikes that I considered but a Trek model with Alivio deraillers left from the previous model year was my top pick with a Specialized model a close second. I wasn't interested in shock absorbers or disc brakes that only added to cost and maintenance without adding any measurable benefit. If you are not going to be using it for off road in the woods the shocks are not much of an advantage and disc brakes can be more delicate and don't offer any more stopping power than modern side pull. I still have my 30 year old Specialized that I took completely apart, greased and adjusted everything from pedals to headset a year ago. I would have like a new Trek just like hers but they didn't have the previous year model in my size and the present year model had some derailler changes that weren't as preferred at that price range. So I rebuilt my old bike instead. Still, her Trek is a beauty.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Width is relative though with bike seats. I have a seat that supports my sit bones well and I've done as much as 200 mile rides in a day. By road standards it is considered wide though, but for a cruiser it would be narrow. The tractor seat type saddles are usually a no no unless you are so wide that you need it to contact your sit bones. There are also saddles with cutout sections in the center to alleviate contact in the center. I've had good luck with those too.
Here's what I ride. https://www.proform.com/tdfaccessori...ent=Treadmills
I agree with COcheesehead about width. The tractor saddles like the Bell Sports Comfort (sold at Walmart) makes the less educated believe they will get more comfort. Nice wide saddle, with a cushy gel feel. My experience and all that I have read suggests that is not true.

One of my saddles is very much like the Selle COcheesdhead shared. But, the saddle maybe the last thing to consider. Applying all the other advice provided such as tilt of the seat, distance to handle bar, length of the peddle stroke, and sit-bone position is more important.

A great saddle will not overcome a bad riding arrangement. But, like clothes, saddles fit differently so once all the rest is in place, the shape and design of the saddle will need to match the fit of your body structure.

So, not to think it is a very difficult decision, the information found online about saddle performance will probably apply to you. For example 90% of people like the Brooks B-17 and provide great reviews of the adjustment period required for the saddle. It worked for me just fine. In another example, I replaced the saddle which came on my touring bike while basically brand new since the online reviews were fairly bad and my experience was not much better.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #35

While most of us on this thread bicycle, I want to give a plug for Trek.

10 years ago during my Peace Corps service, I contacted Trek and asked if they would donate bikes to me and my fellow volunteers. There were about 15 of us who thought bikes could help our service. (PC does not allow Volunteers to drive). We offered to pay the meager allowance that PC provides for purchasing local bikes. But the folks at Trek simply arranged for the delivery at no cost. The agreement was that at the end of our service, the bikes would be donated to someone who needed a bike but could not afford it.

I donated my bike to a street child who managed to convince school officials to allow him to attend school without paying. A fairly extraordinary approach for a street child. He did not have the money for school or transport and the bike allowed him to get back and forth. My wife donated her bike to a merchant who used it as his mobile store. His bike at the time was in bad shape.

So, you can probably understand why Trek is my first choice. Perhaps other companies would have been as generous but I never had to try.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Any thoughts on compact cranks vs triple cranks.

I live in an area with a number of relatively flat bike trails, but many of the roads with a bike lane are rather hilly.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Any thoughts on compact cranks vs triple cranks.

I live in an area with a number of relatively flat bike trails, but many of the roads with a bike lane are rather hilly.
It is going to be based on the type of gearing you want. You can combine a compact crank with a larger range cassette in the rear and get similar gearing to a triple. If you are not that strong of a rider, a triple gives you the granny gear, but that is a really, really easy gear to peddle on the road. So what are looking for?
Old 04-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Norco hybrid (a 2009 model, so probably not available any more) and I love it to pieces. Norcos have a really good reputation.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #39

Quote:
It is going to be based on the type of gearing you want. You can combine a compact crank with a larger range cassette in the rear and get similar gearing to a triple. If you are not that strong of a rider, a triple gives you the granny gear, but that is a really, really easy gear to peddle on the road. So what are looking for?
I think this is good advice. My touring bike and commuter is a triple. (My commuter use to be my touring). My ride with friends bike is a compact double. They both work fine and are nearly interchangeable. Having said that, my bike with the compact is an all carbon so is light and built for speed not comfort. (That does not mean it goes fast when I am in the saddle).

I have a regular 12 mile commute with the last 1 mile or so of the return up a fairly steep hill. I will use the granny for that hill when I am tired. I am always happy to know that the gearing is available.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have both a triple on one bike and a compact double on my newer bike. I like ease on hills so I got an 11/36 cassette on the CD bike. It is great on hills.

Tags
hybrid bike search