Join Early Retirement Today

Hybrid Car Break Even Point
Old 05-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hybrid Car Break Even Point

Here's an interesting site that show the potential breakeven points of buying a hybrid auto versus a regular gasoline automobile. Play around with the Personalize button to see how a change in gas prices affects the the breakeven period.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridCompare.jsp

I noticed that the breakeven point for my car changes about 2.5 years per $1 change in gasoline prices.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

wow, thanks - that link is the final confirmation that I'll never be getting a hybrid
Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
wow, thanks - that link is the final confirmation that I'll never be getting a hybrid
I agree....5 - 9 years is not in my wheelhouse for a payback. I'll just keep my diesel.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I think it depends on the car you choose. A hybrid SUV is not fuel efficient and the payback may be longer than the time you own the car.

The key, IMO, is the choice of car where fuel efficiency is significantly greater with a hybrid. For example: Honda Accord Touring model. The difference in price is only $1,500 between the hybrid and gas model, but the fuel efficiency yields a 2 year payback. So if a sedan is your choice, then depending on the model, a hybrid might be a good choice.

Rita
Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was looking at the only Subaru hybrid (I like subarus).

Plus if I went with a hybrid I'd be giving up a few hundred HP/TQ at the wheels over my E85 running turbo forester.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The only hybrid that appears to have made it successfully over the long run is probably the Prius, but the downside is it's like driving a lightweight kitchen appliance. This may work for some people but not for me.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The only hybrid that appears to have made it successfully over the long run is probably the Prius, but the downside is it's like driving a lightweight kitchen appliance. This may work for some people but not for me.
agreed - DW has already been given orders to off me with my 9 iron if she sees me driving one of those
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, this is good news. Our 2010 Prius is in the "payback" zone and it's all gravy now. And to think we mainly bought it for the wonderful feeling of superiority it gives us.
manerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manerac View Post
And to think we mainly bought it for the wonderful feeling of superiority it gives us.

that's a strange reason to purchase a vehicle
Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love my Volt! We drive around 12,500 miles a year and would spend about $160 a month on gas for our city driving. We spend $75 a month on electricity. Now, our lease payments are just over $300 a month and when you take away the $85 gas savings we're driving a new car for just over $200 a month thats under a full warranty. We like the Volt because we have an engine back up after 40 miles but very seldom have to use it. And......think of the time we save visiting a gas station once or twice a year instead of every week. And, we get to use the special traffice lane in California when only one person is in the car instead of two or more.

I wouldn't buy a typical Hybrid or an electric only car like the Nissan Leaf. But, we do like our Volt and don't feel it costs us much extra to drive it.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

IMO this guide is misleading for at least some cars

From Toyota.com
Camry Hybrid XLE: $31,565
Camry XLE: $29,995

From Guide
Camry Hybrid XLE: $30,805
Camry XLE: $26,975

Plus, the gas Camry XLE V6 has an MSRP of $33,500 and you must select this option (V6) to get options matching the Hybrid.

It also doesn't include ongoing maintenance costs which are almost always lower when comparing hybrid vs. gas.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Breakeven for me was 1.9 years according to the link, that's great IMO. There are other reasons to buy a hybrid aside from purchase price/fuel cost breakeven - but to each his own. Most people have their minds made up on what vehicles they'd consider, like most other choices in life...

And every car makes some "statement" about the owner, not unique to hybrids or any other vehicle.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And every car makes some "statement" about the owner, not unique to hybrids or any other vehicle.
Of course. If you commute to work in a F350 Dually 4x4 crewcab with a V10 engine, it is high 5s all around. If you buy a hybrid, somehow you are supposed to justify it to the Total Environmental Impact police.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Of course. If you commute to work in a F350 Dually 4x4 crewcab with a V10 engine, it is high 5s all around. If you buy a hybrid, somehow you are supposed to justify it to the Total Environmental Impact police.
Or not.

I don't care what someone else drives (well, it bothers me if I had to pay for part of it). Unless they are going to try to make some point of it, it is no concern of mine.

Although I am tempted to spray paint over the "Zero Emissions" stickers I've seen, unless it specifically says "Zero TAILPIPE Emissions" - that does bug me (but then again, I probably paid for part of that car).

BTW, if a hybrid penciled out for me, it would be a a strong contender. But at < 6000 miles per year, it doesn't so I don't. Why should anyone else care? And what if that F350 driver uses less fuel annually than the Prius driver? Maybe he should get the high fives? Can't judge a book by its cover.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #15

Can you get e-85 fuel? The only stations around here where I was looking were active duty military only.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just bought a 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid. Mileage is very close to the EPA estimated 50 mpg city, 45 highway and 47 combined.

Break even is useless to me, I like the way it drives and the fuel economy. Got a great price because it is a year old model sold as new.

Of course, YMMV!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I've had a hybrid Escape for 8 years. I got a screaming deal on it - employee pricing, a $3500 rebate and a $2600 tax credit. It was actually cheaper to buy it new than my used company lease vehicle (a similar, nonhybrid Escape).

I've had a lot of fun exploring the gee whiz aspects of a hybrid and the hybrid components have been very dependable. That said, my next vehicle will be a non hybrid, mainly for the additional tow rating and for the security of not having any risk of a super expensive unique hybrid component failing, out of warranty. For example, some Escape owners had the electric power brake unit fail and were shocked to find out it was $4500. The actual numbers of brake failures were low, but the owners cried like stuck pigs - as I would, too.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Can you get e-85 fuel? The only stations around here where I was looking were active duty military only.
yes I'm getting my FXT tuned for e85 next week. it's cheap race fuel actually.

we have a few spots here where you can get it.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll keep my Prius, gas is only going to get more expensive. Where I live it's $3.90 and will only get worse.
LinCella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2005 we bought a Prius. I was expecting the price per gallon of gasoline to go up much more than it did.

At around 70,000 miles the “drive” batteries refused to go to 100% charge. The Prius is significantly dependent on its computer(s). When the 12 volt battery started to go bad, and the voltage was a little off, the computer essentially lost its mind.

In 2013 our daughter was in an auto accident. To my relief, on BOTH counts, she came out of it ok, but the Prius was totaled. We replaced the Prius with a slightly older, but lower mileage Chevy Tracker. We’re all much happier with the Tracker.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hybrid auto breakeven