Already have 1 or more 17 16.50%
In 1-2 year 7 6.80%
In 3-5 years 26 25.24%
In 6-10 years 18 17.48%
Never 35 33.98%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

It may be "greener" to keep the car you have as long as possible rather than buying any new car (because of the impact of the mfg. process) and reducing its use--combine trips, bicycle, walk. I didn't check a poll response because we won't be replacing our cars until we have to.

When that day comes we will consider all the options. We are not early adopters (although we did have a betamax for two days!) and would prefer to wait until there is some leading technology.

I noticed in today's Best Buy flyer there is a little camcorder that has a USB connector built right in (Pure Digital - Flip Video Ultra Series Camcorder - White/Silver - F260W) for $129 and I'm thinking about the hulking $1400 ginormous VHS-tape camcorder from 15 years ago or so that's in my closet. Not that the Flip camera is necessary that good (but it's got to be good as the ancient VHS camcorder), and I hope the hybrid/non-petroleum powered vehicles have evolved like this by the time we're ready for a new car!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I bought a Honda Civic hybrid in December and really enjoy it.

The Honda technology is fundamentally different from the Prius. The primary motive force for the Prius is the electric motor, with a boost from the gasoline engine when necessary. By contrast, the Honda uses an ultra efficient gasoline engine as the prime motive force and uses an electric motor for boost when accelerating. As a consequence, the Honda battery is much smaller.
Interesting on the sales tax break...So with the smaller battery, is the replacement battery estimated as much cheaper to replace than the Toyota and last longer?

BTW, I voted never would buy without significant payback/tax breaks...I think the "next great thing" will come along before mass acceptance...

Old 05-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Recently, subsidies have made it more attractive to purchase hybrids. Taxi companies in my area are buying scores of Toyota Priuses. All the taxi drivers tell me they love them and are saving a bundle on gas.
Because of the stop and go driving, taxi and delivery service may be applications where the economics look better (or at least not as bad) for hybrids.

MB
Old 05-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I selected 3-5 years. But it really depends on what happens between now and then.

We will probably purchase one in about 3 years.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #45

My current Subaru is only 4 years old, so I'll be keeping it for another 6 years, all things remaining pretty much equal. But that is the question. Will gas prices remain pretty much the same for the next 5-10 years? I seriously doubt it. Consequently, the hybrids will likely become much more attractive as time goes on.

And I understand that Subaru is developing their own version of the hybrid with all wheel drive!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #46

DW got rid of the mini-van (180k miles) last month and bought a Prius.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I'm driving a nine year old Camry Solara when it dies I will probably go with a hybrid . Of course the Solara might have another nine years in it . It has been the best car I've ever had .
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #48

The 'premium' isn't really all that much. Especially when you take into account the tax breaks (although for the Prius I think that one is ending soon).
I own one, my wife owns one. I will likely not buy another as I plan to purchase an all electric vehicle next (2-5 years).
As for pay back, if you don't want a higher mpg car, that is fine. But why talk about pay back? How much time passes to pay you back for the added price of a sunroof, or fancy radio, or heated seats?
For this person I wanted high mpg for two reasons. One is the enviornment (yes yes, I know the Prius isn't perfect in this area, but it is better), two is our national security. We need to import less oil and if my representatives wont work to take the country in that direction, I will do what I can personally.
Around here many would probably laugh at spending as much as I am willing to to do this. But many of the general public will spend 35k on a car so they can have leather, heated seats, and a luxury name. Well I will do that to buy a Prius with the PHEV conversion so I can get 90mpg

As others have noted, the type of driving will alter your mpg by quite a bit (this is even moreso with the PHEV modules). So if it is a purely economic question for you (which is perfectly fine) consider the type of driving you are going to do and talk with some owners of the brand you are looking at.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
Interesting on the sales tax break...So with the smaller battery, is the replacement battery estimated as much cheaper to replace than the Toyota and last longer?

BTW, I voted never would buy without significant payback/tax breaks...I think the "next great thing" will come along before mass acceptance...
Based on what I have read, it is indeed cheaper to replace a Civic battery than a Prius battery. I must admit, however, that I have not given it much thought, since my battery is warranted for 15 years or 150k miles (pursuant to state law).

I am hopeful that by the time we replace our 1997 Accord, we will have the choice of a plug-in electric.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #50

I'm waiting for Version 2.0 of the plug-in. Then I'm all in.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I'm considering replacing my vehicle in 4 years; I'll see what seems best mileage and reliable and long lasting.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to agree with the viewpoint that they aren't economical in terms of the premium levied on them.

My current vehicle is 14 years old and has almost 170k miles on it. I want to see if hybrids can be driven 200k miles and kept for a significant period of time.

I can currently buy a Ford Focus and get very good mileage out of it for a significant discount to the Prius for example. Even given the better mpg of the Prius (and for me it would have to be a highway to highway comparison) it would take a pretty long time to make up the initial 7k or so difference in price.

I think the Prius's are ugly. The Civic Hybrid is pretty good looking because it looks like a regular car, but I think that might be in the category of "mild hybrid" as mentioned by the original poster.

I drive 70 miles per day to work and back, 98% of it freeway. It seems like the most efficient use of the current crop of hybrids is for city driving versus freeway driving.

What I would really like to see is an electric vehicle with a decent range (say 250 or so miles) that I can use to drive around every day and plug in at night.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
equip them with all manner of penis enhancement packages
That option would save an awful lot of people quite a bit of time when buying a new vehicle.

"Uh...yeah...can you point me to the trucks with the PEP option?"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
That option would save an awful lot of people quite a bit of time when buying a new vehicle.

"Uh...yeah...can you point me to the trucks with the PEP option?"
That option would singlehandedly save the American automakers!!
Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #55

A hybrid.........maybe some day, but I don't think I'd ever see any savings.

Tomorrow we're taking DW's ghetto gilder on a road trip up the interstate. It's 17 years old with only 34k on the clock, still smells new. I can usually push it to about 24-25mpg with a light touch on the gas pedal.

First thing in the morning I have to get it gassed up, the last fill-up was in December. I honestly can't figure what she does with all the gas.

My F150 is still nursing that last tank of juice I put in March 19. Today was day 46 on one tank.

Since we're such big users, if I bought a hybrid, I'll bet OPEC would close the oil fields and start selling bags of sand.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:38 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had one for 6 months or so, as you might guess from my name. In any case, the Prius has been a completely pleasurable experience. It's been worth the extra money (for me) over a comparable car, e.g., (insert your favorite Corolla equivalent), and I'd buy another Prius today if I had to.

In sum, the Prius is just a 45 MPG (avg.) car using some new technology that Toyota had the insight/courage/discipline to bring to the commercial market. I say "good job," and give me more.

I also spent the day at the Maker Fair (San Mateo, CA) looking at several modifications of the Prius that convert the Prius into a plug-in 100+MPG car. Sort of nice to see some possible solutions to desperate problems...

Of course, I'm somewhat of an early adopter: I have a push-button telephone and electric lighting and refrigeration. Those work well too, although I was initially worried they might be too dangerous...

-plsprius
Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #57
Administrator

I live close to work and over the past 8 years I have averaged less than 4.5K miles/year on my Solara.

However, I just did a search and found this post in which I said a year ago that my Solara had 33K miles on it, and right now it only has just barely 35K miles on it. That confirms to me something that I suspected - - that I am driving less than before - - only 2K miles in the past year.

Since my Solara already gets around 33 mpg around town, I don't see the economy for me in getting a Prius.

(2000 miles)/(33 mpg) ~= 61 gallons/year
(2000 miles)/(44 mpg) ~= 46 gallons/year

---> Gas savings if I bought a Prius: 15 gallons/year.

I am hoping to drive even less after ER and walk a lot more so eventually I can make the transition to being car-less.

Figuring out ways to drive less might be more difficult in the U.S. than in Europe, but I still think most of us can gain by driving less whenever we can.

Me, too. I have been trying to figure out how to walk or bike to work. That would take 800 miles off the total miles I drive each year. But, the big freeway-type bridge with walls and no shoulder that shortens my commute so much is too dangerous to walk or bike on. Still thinking! But, in 18 months I will ER and the problem will become irrelevant to my life.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We will see how many more years I can drag out of my Subaru (126k and counting). Assuming I am still doing an extreme commute when it goes, I would seriously consider a hybrid or diesel. The hold-up for me on the hybrid is not price (don't mind giving up a couple thou to assuage my enviro-guilt), its safety. I want to see several years of real world data before I commit to driving a new technology car. If manufacturers can get the green diesel sorted out to US emission satisfaction, it would likely be a preferred option for me. C'mon, Subaru, bring that flat 4 turbo diesel wagon on over from Europe...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We will see how many more years I can drag out of my Subaru (126k and counting). Assuming I am still doing an extreme commute when it goes, I would seriously consider a hybrid or diesel. The hold-up for me on the hybrid is not price (don't mind giving up a couple thou to assuage my enviro-guilt), its safety. I want to see several years of real world data before I commit to driving a new technology car. If manufacturers can get the green diesel sorted out to US emission satisfaction, it would likely be a preferred option for me. C'mon, Subaru, bring that flat 4 turbo diesel wagon on over from Europe...
It will take time.......the air in Europe ain't the best.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It will take time.......the air in Europe ain't the best.............
Uh, I drive daily on the NJ turnpike past a huge refinery, a large dump, at least two power plants, and the largest port in the US. I highly doubt the addition of a few small diesels will make much difference.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote