Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2008, 08:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I was hypermiling on the news it is good to see that people are actually doing it. I doubt it would do any good in nyc though

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:28 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Vinnie, I think the 'gentle driving' parts would work - not jamming on the brakes, not vvrroooming off the lights, etc - but drafting? on the BQE? The Cross Bronx? augh!! Suicide City!!

ga, what a thought!

ta,
mews

Old 06-16-2008, 03:12 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
i realize that most people drive like driven cattle. you go to the beach, find a spot by yourself, wake up and rest of the beach is still empty but crowded next to you.
That reminds me of when i park my car in the far reaches of a parking lot to avoid door dings and when i come back there is usually some jerk parked next too me
Old 06-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lazy, do you realize you can 'draft' 10 car lengths behind a semi?
I agree that those drafting at extremely short distances are a hazard. But I regularly take advantage of other vehicles air streams to improve mileage. Never at an unsafe distance, but I will stay directly behind trucks.
Not in their blind spot, and always far enough away to be safe.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
But, its summer and 95 here, so I've been using the AC. Not sure if I'll break even in the MPG department.
Actually, above 45 mph, the drag from having the windows open sucks more gas than the use of the AC, so you're fine..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Lazy, do you realize you can 'draft' 10 car lengths behind a semi?
I agree that those drafting at extremely short distances are a hazard. But I regularly take advantage of other vehicles air streams to improve mileage. Never at an unsafe distance, but I will stay directly behind trucks.
Not in their blind spot, and always far enough away to be safe.
understood and certainly agree that is not so intrusive in the life of another person. even still i do not ride behind trucks...

Quote:
Stephanie Murray was 13 in 1998 when a metal rod broke the window of the car she was riding in on Interstate 95 in Broward County and impaled her to the seat. She arrived at the hospital with a metal rod sticking out of her chest, but survived. ''It took a year to get back into the swing of things,'' Stephanie said in a phone interview. ``We weren't able to press charges because there was nobody to press charges against. The rod was kicked up off the road.''
source: FHP In The News

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You might want to try it with regular instead of "premium". Theres no benefit in terms of performance or gas mileage from using higher octane fuel unless your engine demands it.

In fact, higher octane fuel has a lower energy potential than lower octane fuel.
At least 2 of us get it.
I think a lot of people have the wrong idea that the higher octane gasoline is better quality than regular, it probably comes from the oil companies labeling their higher octane product "Premium"
It amazes me how many people are throwing their money away by putting 92 octane gas in a car that was designed to run on 87 thinking the 92 is a better gasoline,By putting a higher octane gas than is necessary you are trying to out guess what the engineers had in mind for your engine .92 and 87 octanes have different detonation characteristics quality of the gas has nothing to do with it ,run 87 when you need 92 and you get pinging or pre detonation,run 92 when you need 87 and you get carbon build up in the combustion chamber because the 92 has a cooler burn characteristic..
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Some nice math there Kronk, thanks. I guess I'll need to find some way to factor in the added safety, increase in enjoyed scenery, engine longevity gains of driving slower, and subtraction of more pitstop times. Besides the fact that I have all the time in the world now.

I suppose if I factor in the possibility of flying, I'm really getting ripped off.
I have serious doubts about the "added safety" unless the speed limit was 60, which is unlikely between Cal and Tex. The safest thing is for all vehicles to drive the same speed (the speed limit). A car driving considerably slower causes everyone else to have to pass it. On a highway that doesn't seem like it should be congested but is, I often see the cause being a slow vehicle. Everyone starts piling up behind it and passing becomes dangerous in the crowd. So you've certainly put others at risk, and the slow car is also in danger as cars can clip it while passing.

Driving slower than the speed limit is safer than driving above it, but I don't think it's safer than driving with traffic.

And blocking the second lane while drafting doesn't seem too safe nor courteous to drivers who want to get around. I'd have been annoyed as hell if I'd have been the trucker who you were off the flank of.

Sorry for piling on, but it seems like you're patting yourself on the back for questionable driving practices.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

If anyone truly doubts it, I can go find a source but I well recall some good insurance studies that showed that far more accidents are caused by a driver who is driving too slow vs drivers speeding.

Of course a lot of the accidents are from drivers behind the slow driver getting fed up and passing them, so the death toll is on someone else unless you happen to get pulled into the resulting accident...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
A car driving considerably slower causes everyone else to have to pass it.
The risk of this can be mitigated by driving in the left lane with the left blinker on.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
The risk of this can be mitigated by driving in the left lane with the left blinker on.
Or my favorite, the occasional two trucks that decide to drive side by side just below the speed limit for miles and miles with open highway in front of them and a mile of cars and other trucks backed up behind them.... I guess that could be enforced drafting along with safety in not passing.

(I have full respect for long-distance truckers, btw--not slamming them)
Old 06-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #52

So, this has me wondering, and admittedly I don't know anything about drafting... what's the benefit of driving to the back and left of the truck? I thought one of the benefits of following a big rig if you weren't right on it's bumper, was that it was doing the work of pushing the air out of the way for you. If you're next to it, then I would think it would just be pushing the air into your path.

Then again, I'm sure that question is easily answered but that'd involve real effort on my part.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:18 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Riding my bike on the side of the freeway today, into a headwind, I was surprised at how long the draft from passing trucks lasts. That is, after a truck passes, the headwind was diminished for at least five seconds.

Just realized another benefit of reducing speed limits to 55 MPH. Besides gas savings and safety improvements, the minimum highway speed could be reduced as well. The benefit of that would be that more electric vehicles could become highway capable.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

For a short trip, I'm ok with reducing the speed limit. For longer trips, I'm less enthusiastic about adding several hours to the trip time...

200 miles at 70 = 2.86 hours
200 miles at 55 = 3.64 hours

An extra 47 minutes...

1000 miles at 70 = 14.29 hours
1000 miles at 55 = 18.18 hours

An extra 3 hours 53 minutes...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
So, this has me wondering, and admittedly I don't know anything about drafting... what's the benefit of driving to the back and left of the truck?
riding the bow wave?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

Try driving 55 on the interstate...even if you stay in the right lane, you will get honked at and as mentioned above, probably more likely to cause an accident not keeping up with traffic...I assume that folks are simply using highways with 55 mph speed limits...

-------------------------------
-Whazzzup [Moderator Edit]
Old 06-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Riding my bike on the side of the freeway today, into a headwind, I was surprised at how long the draft from passing trucks lasts. That is, after a truck passes, the headwind was diminished for at least five seconds.

Just realized another benefit of reducing speed limits to 55 MPH. Besides gas savings and safety improvements, the minimum highway speed could be reduced as well. The benefit of that would be that more electric vehicles could become highway capable.

55MPH Nixon, no Xmas lights that year. 70s will be a cakewalk to what is in the offing.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter User Name Here View Post
Try driving 55 on the interstate...even if you stay in the right lane, you will get honked at and as mentioned above, probably more likely to cause an accident not keeping up with traffic...I assume that folks are simply using highways with 55 mph speed limits...
[Moderator Edit]
Several months of going 60 in the right lane on my bike hasn't caused a single person to honk at me or wreck going around me. It's actually quite relaxing not feel like I'm being rushed ahead by the person behind me because they want to leave so late the only way they'll ever get anywhere in time is if they go 80 MPH to get there.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #59
Administrator

Here is my list of things one can do to improve gas mileage, without even resorting to a hybrid or doing anything crazy. These are largely focused on reducing air resistance, rolling resistance and mechanical friction.

1. Slow down -- you know that big rectangular black and white sign with numbers by the side of the road? It is a maximum, not a minimum. Treat it that way and you will see a big improvement. Air resistance is proportional to the square of the velocity, so even a small reduction in speed carries a substantial payoff.

2. If you aren't using your roof rack for a bike or kayak or whatever, take it off. You will improve the aerodynamic coefficient of your vehicle, which will reduce drag and improve mileage.

3. Keep your tires properly inflated. Under-inflated tires have increased rolling resistance, since more surface touches the road. I usually go 2-3 psi over the number on the door post to account for the fact that the air in the tire heats up on the drive to the service station.

4. Don't carry 100 lbs of junk in the trunk. Every pound of weight increases the rolling resistance of the car.

5. Use the lowest viscosity oil recommended for your car. Unnecessarily high viscosity oil results in higher mechanical friction to be overcome in the engine.

6. Keep your car properly tuned. This will ensure the optimum air/fuel mixture in the cylinders and maximum power for the fuel used.

7. If you have a manual transmission, upshift as soon as you can without lugging the engine (you'll hear the knocking if it's too soon).
Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 AM   #60

The suggestion of 55mph on a few car forums i visit is met with so much ridicule and scorn that i believe most North Americans are addicted to speed,the mere thought of slowing down for any reason is out of the question,in fact a lot of people on the car forums are for abolishing speed limits all together,until a lot of these speeders develop a more laid back attitude toward driving they will be paying a lot of extra money to reach their destination a little bit earlier.