Join Early Retirement Today

hypermiling in my Echo
Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

hypermiling in my Echo

Just got back from a trip, California to Texas and back (3000 miles)in my Toyota Echo. I used some of the hypermiling techniques discussed in earlier threads (lower speed, coasting, drafting, better gas, high tire pressures, logical parking, etc).

The Echo is a car with highway miles listed at around 40 mpg. Using the hypermiling techniques I averaged better than 55 mpg and got 59.86 mpg on my best tankfull.

Without a doubt dropping the speed to 60 mph was the biggest factor. Takes a little longer to get there, but the time passed quickly watching my fuel gauge not move.

They no longer make the Echo but the same 1.5 liter engine is in the Yaris.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nice job! I only squeezed an extra 10% out of my Volvo, so you really dedicated yourself.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some time back in 01 i saw the writing on the wall concerning gas prices so we traded the minivan for an 01 Echo and have probably saved enough in gas to cover the cost of the Echo,last week the Echo got a new stable mate an 08 Yaris sedan.With gas prices only going to rise i wont even look at anything that doesnt get 35mpg
Daughter is happy with the hand me down Echo
Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

Lemme see...

3000 miles @ 55 mpg (at 60 mph) @ $4.00 gas = $218 for 50 hours
3000 miles @ 40 mpg (at 72 mph) @ $4.00 gas = $300 for 41:40 hours

If all of the mileage savings were attributable to the speed decrease, then you saved $82 at the cost of over 8 hours of driving.

Personally, I'll continue to drive faster, since I don't need to earn $10 per hour driving slowly.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well that and drafting should be left to the Nascar drivers
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Some nice math there Kronk, thanks. I guess I'll need to find some way to factor in the added safety, increase in enjoyed scenery, engine longevity gains of driving slower, and subtraction of more pitstop times. Besides the fact that I have all the time in the world now.

I suppose if I factor in the possibility of flying, I'm really getting ripped off.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tell me more about which techniques you used. The best we've done is 48 MPG with our '02 Echo.

We drive 55 around home, but go 65 on long trips. I don't mind wasting 10 minutes here or there, but on a trip, I want to get it over with. We still get 44 MPG at 65 MPH on a trip.

What year do you have? Here are the published figures for recent Echos and Yarises:

Echo/Yaris Mileage (City, Combined, Highway)

2001: 32, 35, 38
2002: 32,35,38
2003: 33,36,39
2004: 33,36,39
2005: 33,36,39

2007: 34,36,39 Y
2008: 29,31,35 Y
Old 06-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

It really was quite mysterious. The best I'd ever done locally here in California was 48. My tire pressures were at 45, I used supreme (like I always do, .15 cents on 4 dollars doesn't seem like that much), I drove at 60, coasted down every hill possible that would keep my speed up, drafted to the left and back of some big rigs (not too often though)(felt safe there). I kind of let my car tell me what is a comfortable speed. I can tell if there is any strain during winds or climbs, I back off and let the car sort of pick the speed (something between 55 and 60).

I would drive 150 miles before the gauge would break off full.

There is ethanol and other clean gas stuff locally in Calif. I didn't notice any of that stuff on the pumps I encountered in AZ, NM or TX until I got close to Dallas. Maybe the gas formulation was some of the cause.

I drove 65 to 70 for a while and the mileage dropped back to 48. That is why I attributed most of the gain to speed.

My Echo is a 2001 with about 100,000 miles on it.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post

If all of the mileage savings were attributable to the speed decrease, then you saved $82 at the cost of over 8 hours of driving.
Sounds good to me saving $82 every 8hrs of driving,imagine what that adds up to over a year.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

You might want to try it with regular instead of "premium". Theres no benefit in terms of performance or gas mileage from using higher octane fuel unless your engine demands it.

In fact, higher octane fuel has a lower energy potential than lower octane fuel.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sounds good to me saving $82 every 8hrs of driving,imagine what that adds up to over a year.
I think you misunderstood. Not savings of $82 for "every" 8 hours but $82 for an extra 8 hours on a 42 hour trip(turning it into 50 hours).
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I think you misunderstood. Not savings of $82 for "every" 8 hours but $82 for an extra 8 hours on a 42 hour trip(turning it into 50 hours).
Math has never been a strong point in my life
Old 06-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm trying some techniques in my VW Jetta diesel to see if I see increased MPG. I usually get 47-48MPG. I've been coasting a lot, trying to not use my brakes if possible. If I see a light/STOP sign, I coast as much as I can to slow down.

But, its summer and 95 here, so I've been using the AC. Not sure if I'll break even in the MPG department.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a small car too that I tried some hypermilling techniques on. Although I gained about 5mpg in the city doing a full tank that way, it sure did take away all of the fun that I have driving the car aggressively.

I think I'll presume I did enough by just purchasing a small car, but still enjoy driving it (aggressively).
slazenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #15

Somebody driving a small car aggressively? Wow, you don't see that everyday...Oh, wait...

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with CFB that regular gas should work fine. I've noticed a 5 to 10% mileage drop with ethanol blends. The stuff is a little cheaper at the pump so maybe that's a wash.
Just curious....what weight and type of oil are you using? Dino or synthetic?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
I agree with CFB that regular gas should work fine. I've noticed a 5 to 10% mileage drop with ethanol blends. The stuff is a little cheaper at the pump so maybe that's a wash.
Just curious....what weight and type of oil are you using? Dino or synthetic?
Seems I've read that premium fuel can improve the mpg slightly (assuming your car can take either), but I'm also guessing that that is only if you drive somewhat aggressively. Here's the thought process:

A) Premium fuel helps reduce knocking.
B) Knocking tends to occur under hard acceleration.
C) Modern engines will adjust the timing (reduce power) if they detect knocking. Under that condition, premium can provide better power because there is less knocking, so the engine does not cut back power.
D) If you are already driving conservatively, you probably are rarely/never pushing your car into a knocking condition with regular fuel, therefore, premium will be a waste of money.

Does that jibe with other's understanding?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Seems I've read that premium fuel can improve the mpg slightly (assuming your car can take either), but I'm also guessing that that is only if you drive somewhat aggressively. Here's the thought process:

A) Premium fuel helps reduce knocking.
B) Knocking tends to occur under hard acceleration.
C) Modern engines will adjust the timing (reduce power) if they detect knocking. Under that condition, premium can provide better power because there is less knocking, so the engine does not cut back power.
D) If you are already driving conservatively, you probably are rarely/never pushing your car into a knocking condition with regular fuel, therefore, premium will be a waste of money.

Does that jibe with other's understanding?

-ERD50
I'm no expert but I think your understanding is correct.
Your point D however might be seen differently under some circumstances.
I’ve noticed that with my manual shift transmission using the premium gas allows the use of a higher gear at slower speeds and this seems to have a positive effect on fuel mileage. The effect on the amount of fuel used is not great and is offset by the higher cost but the improved low speed torque provides a much more pleasurable driving experience so I use the 92 AKI fuel.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I use regular oil for the moment, but I have switched my other cars to synthetic. I can hear the difference immediately. Wal Mart now sells supertech synthetic for about 13 dollars for 5 quarts. I change my air filter often. I was amazed to see how much air a car draws for each gallon of gas. I have the K+N filter but wasn't totally impressed. It was only the drop in kind. My buddy has the tube kit for his civic and he claims he's getting 5-6 more mpg. I didn't use it on this trip.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I dont think I'd recommend running 87 octane in an engine that demands 91. "Pushing" the engine is irrelevant. Premature detonation can occur at any engine load and may be inaudible. The "knock" or "ping" that you can hear is when its become excessive.

Even the inaudible detonation can cause significant engine damage over time and your engine will most likely just retard the engine timing to suit the octane, and that'll reduce your performance and gas mileage.

This is a really poor area to look for a free lunch.

Similarly as I mentioned, running 91 octane in an engine demanding 87 is just a waste of money and may be counterproductive. All octane does is improve burn control and reduces premature detonation. And throws some total energy out the window to get that benefit. So unless you have a high compression engine with tight ignition timing and are getting some performance/mileage benefits from that which demands the 91 octane fuels slower combustion characteristics...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote