Join Early Retirement Today

Hypoallergenic Dogs
Old 05-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hypoallergenic Dogs

Dear Wife and I would like to rescue a dog from the local shelter. But.... DW has pet allergies. She sneezes, her eyes tear up, and all the rest. We've since discovered a whole category of hypoallergenic breeds. Can an allergy sufferer really own one of these breeds without having symptoms?
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First of all, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. There are dogs with fur and dogs with hair. Those with hair, don't shed and may have dander that will not irritate your wife's allergies.

If she reacts rather quickly, you can tell which dog will create or not create a problem for her.

Rita (and her miniature poodle, Poppi)
Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

My dad was pretty bad with many dogs, but he was fine with our Chihuahuas when I was growing up. Even the long haired variety we favored.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Chihuahuas? Miniature Poodles? I thought this thread was about DOGS.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Poodles of all sizes and poodle hybrids are the best bet. No guarantees with any of the so called hypoallergenic breeds. Many allergies are due to salivary proteins from the dog licking their fur and owner.
longranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the local shelter has some suggestions? Probably this question has come up to them before? Friends with allergies had a wheaten terrier and a big labradoodle. I think they still found them allergenic. The labradoodle's coat required a lot of brushing and grooming to keep under control--we never had poodles as the breed is too smart for us, but I think a poodle's coat will also need maintenance clipping?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
gone traveling

Here is an extensive list for you to consider:
Hypoallergenic Dog Breeds, Best Hypoallergenic Dog List
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
but I think a poodle's coat will also need maintenance clipping?
True, about every 6-8 weeks, a poodle needs to be groomed. Their hair can grow up to 6". But same can be said for any dog with hair, rather than fur: spaniels, long-haired chihuahuas, long-haired dachshunds, Portugese Water Dogs, Irish Setters, etc.

So this is an additional cost of owning a "hypoallergenic" dog.

Rita
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
Poodles of all sizes and poodle hybrids are the best bet. No guarantees with any of the so called hypoallergenic breeds. Many allergies are due to salivary proteins from the dog licking their fur and owner.

My dog is a Silky (hypoallergenic according to the list). My daughter has a reaction from my dog's saliva.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

DW is allergic to dogs, but she has no problems with our miniature poodle (and the one we had before). It is a smart dog, and not very "yappy," a good companion. Ours was a rescue and she's got some "issues": fairly willful ("independent minded") and not well socialized with respect to other dogs. If you are interested in adopting one from a shelter and it is kept with other dogs, you might have to give it a good bath to get their allergens off the poodle before you can tell if the poodle is okay for you guys.

Grooming: Kinda like a Chia Pet. She goes to the groomer about every two months, comes back looking entirely different. It's probably something we could do ourselves, but haven't taken the time to learn the skills.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
True, about every 6-8 weeks, a poodle needs to be groomed. Their hair can grow up to 6". But same can be said for any dog with hair, rather than fur: spaniels, long-haired chihuahuas, long-haired dachshunds, Portugese Water Dogs, Irish Setters, etc.

So this is an additional cost of owning a "hypoallergenic" dog.

Rita
Depends, our first Malteese never saw a groomer for his first 6 years. While not a show quality dog he did resemble the Malteese in the list. The daily care did become excessive. After 6 years DW decided to take him to a groomer, he was in a puppy cut the rest of his life. Don't know if longer hair would cause more allergy problems.

While not a watch dog, the breed is very attentive, have few bad habits as some of the small breeds can have.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #12

My sister got a labradoodle that doesn't shed. She's afraid of her own shadow, but sounds fierce when the pizza man rings the doorbell. Smart as a whip!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A friend recently bought a labradoodle and had to give it up because of allergies. She picked it for hypoallergenic reasons.

Daughter brought home a caverdoodle (cavapoo) , and there are no allergy problems. It is a very clean dog, but easily picks up bits of leaves and dirt from the outside. After 4 months or so, needed a cropping. Looks like every month she could use a trim.

The size of the dog is another quality to think about.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have friends who have a daughter with both asthma and an assortment of allergies. Their family got a Havanese, and there have been no issues. He's a really nice, sweet, calm and well behaved dog. Cute as a button, too!

I had not even heard of the breed until she told me they were researching for hypoallergenic dogs. They were fortunate to spend a couple hours on at least 3 occasions with the breeder, and handled a number of pups during the course of their visits. This made them feel quite confident that it would work out for them. This particular breeder had a waiting list, so they did have to wait about 3-4 months before their litter was born and they could choose their puppy.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
Dear Wife and I would like to rescue a dog from the local shelter. But.... DW has pet allergies. She sneezes, her eyes tear up, and all the rest. We've since discovered a whole category of hypoallergenic breeds. Can an allergy sufferer really own one of these breeds without having symptoms?
Does your wife really want the dog? I have allergies and would be surprised that anyone would put themselves in a position to aggravate their allergies. I have a friend that got it into his head that his wife's allergies couldn't be that bad and brought home a dog. After suffering bad allergic reaction for a week, he finally took the dog back where he got it and had to pay a cleaning service to remove all dog hair/dander/saliva/whatnot. This is also not fair to the dog if you bring it home and then have to get rid of it.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

The only way I can think of making any animal hypoallergenic is to boil them. Kinda ruins their ability to live though.

Seriously, all living animals, including humas shed cells, hair feathers etc. exude various odors and slobber of all kinds.

If one is allergic, animals may not be a good fit. When DW wanted a cat, I had myself tested for allergies as I do have a few. Cat was not on the list. We do have a cat, and we get along just fine.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

The "hypoallergenic" part is a marketing ploy. All dogs shed skin cells or "dander". We have three big poodles and they don't shed much fur, but you do find the occasional strand. They are smart, sociable and easy to train, but do have a manageable level of energy. Our three would choose beating up other dogs as their favorite hobby, if we would permit it, but that's something that most tightly bonded groups of dogs will do.

Our youngest one gets a Claritin most days. He's never had allergy testing, but dogs are frequently allergic to human dander.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone for the feedback. DW has been reviewing the breeds and seems interested in the Bichon Frise. It seems this dog is very intelligent, good with kids and people ion general, and is one of the least shedders in the bunch.

Looking through the shelter dogs we see lots of mixed breeds too. Is it safe to assume that a mix of "hypoallergenic" dogs is still mostly hypoallergenic? The poodles are a popular dog that is part of many mixed breeds.
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. DW has been reviewing the breeds and seems interested in the Bichon Frise. It seems this dog is very intelligent, good with kids and people ion general, and is one of the least shedders in the bunch.

Looking through the shelter dogs we see lots of mixed breeds too. Is it safe to assume that a mix of "hypoallergenic" dogs is still mostly hypoallergenic? The poodles are a popular dog that is part of many mixed breeds.
Bishons are a great breed.

To the mixed breed question, I think it depends. Folks here said their 'doodles' don't. We have a JaShu, Shitzu and Japanese Chin mix. She does shed. According to the list in a early post, Shitzu's don't shed but Chins do. YMMV.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Poodles (and I suspect bichons and Portuguese water dogs) carry two genes for the curly, non-shedding coat. It's a dominant gene, so a first generation cross (i.e. one with a purebred parent) will have a curly or wavy, non-shedding coat. Subsequent generations don't have that guarantee. A puppy from two labradoodles might or might not have a non shedding coat. This coat quality, while delightful for household tidiness, has nothing to do with allergies.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote