Join Early Retirement Today

Hypothetical question for someone in the entertainment/television industry
Old 08-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hypothetical question for someone in the entertainment/television industry

Sometime within the last couple of months, I woke up around 1:30 AM & couldn't get back to sleep, so I turned the TV on.

The channel was Comedy Central, & an episode of Tosh.0 was playing. I was kind of shocked to hear the F word being used.

I've also seen un-cut celebrity roasts, & movies on Comedy Central in the past. (but always late at night/early in the morning)

Don't ask me why, but it got me thinking.
If Comedy Central decided to, could they begin showing R-rated movies, & other types of unedited programming 24-7, ala, HBO-Cinemax-Showtime-Starz, Etc ?

I suspect the establishment, (HBO-Cinemax-Showtime-Starz) would do everything in their power to prevent this.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cable is cable. There are no means by which uncut programming of that sort could be barred from a network that chooses to broadcast it. Only pressure from cable companies that wish to keep their lower tiers less explicit prevents that now.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

I've had a dream where I was watching TV, and I never have purchased cable in my life, so strictly an over-the-air guy, and the scene gets a bit too hot for TV, and I wonder "how are they getting away with that?"

I suspect that there are very old rules for OTA, but as the expert opinion above says, probably voluntary on the part of cable operators. I've been in hotels where I didn't even want my kids to see the channel name, much less the content!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I've had a dream where I was watching TV, and I never have purchased cable in my life, so strictly an over-the-air guy, and the scene gets a bit too hot for TV, and I wonder "how are they getting away with that?"

I suspect that there are very old rules for OTA, but as the expert opinion above says, probably voluntary on the part of cable operators. I've been in hotels where I didn't even want my kids to see the channel name, much less the content!
I've cut the cord so mainly watch OTA programming with the exception of Amazon Prime streaming but only watch that occasionally.

One OTA program that I do watch regularly is "Criminal Minds" (bring back Hotch!!). I wonder often while watching "how are they getting away with showing that?" Not provocative in the sense of nudity but crime scenes with some quite graphic. I suppose if zombies and vampires on other shows are okay, then graphic crime scenes done through makeup are too.