Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #41

Fabulous photo Vicente

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
What I need is having friends around me like the ones on this forum.....preferably speaking English...
We're right here - but we don't all speak English, we only type it! ...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I sometimes typo it. Or is it frequently? Who knows-nobody corrects me
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The last thing I want is to disappoint you BestW. but don´t you think that part tof the problem is having too much peace and solitude that brings up all my negative thoughts about not being interested in things?

What I need is having friends around me like the ones on this forum.....preferably speaking English, my permanent quasi-passion!
Your English is awesome. Too much peace and solitude could be part of the "problem" as you call it. I think you live in a smaller area that is a little distance from larger cities? That makes it more difficult to find others who share the same interests, but fortunately you can connect with the Internet.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
you live in a smaller area that is a little distance from larger cities? That makes it more difficult to find others who share the same interests, .
Right on target, so direct
Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you all for the kind words. And believe me: I wasn´t fishing for compliments.
I see that I haven´t explained myself correctly. I don´t consider myself a conversational bore, but, for sure, a social bore, in the sense that most of the things/activities that my friends like don´t interest me at all, i.e. travelling, sports, partying, big social gatherings, TV shows in general ..... In the group -there are 14 of us- I´m the odd one. When I´m with them I´m previously told by my wife to make an effort and fix a polite smile on my face. But more often than not that smile fades away to my wife´s annoyance.
This usually responds to a little drinking. There are 3 resons for drinking.(A 4th, taste, is often suggested, but is completely bogus.) Number one is to make sex more palatable, either to yourself or to your partner. #2 is to decrease discomfort in social situations such as you describe above. #3 is to get blotto to temporarily wipe away cares and anxieties. This last one is the only one that is likely to get out of hand.

So buy a nice silver flask, and off to the party you go!

Ha
Old 07-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And often don't do that very well.

Ha
Old 07-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #48

Quote:
REW, some of the posts written around here aren't English or any other language.

Quote:
Vicente, your English is excellent and certainly meets the high standards of this forum.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tough to correct when a lot of us are challegned ourselves with regards to language.........

I thenk u knead two find sumpin' fun ta doo..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
REW, some of the posts written around here aren't English or any other language.

Vicente, your English is excellent and certainly meets the high standards of this forum.
I hope you are right as I plan to enter the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency Exams. I prepared for them for several months, a few years ago, but i gave it up. Too tough, academic and the didactic material was too dry, for my taste. I am too addicted to your current popular crime fiction writers and that American English doesn´t seem to count a lot to the British English examiners! They don´t know what they are missing

PS. I hope Alan doesn´t take offence.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He's a Brit, they are trained at birth to keep a stiff upper lip..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano

Thankfully for you, we are not alike: I envy your many interests, not the least among them, cycling and playing gigs with friends.....!
No, actually if someone isn't into jazz, surfing or biking, I think they'd find me pretty boring. Online, I'm less boring.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #53

Quote:
I hope you are right as I plan to enter the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency Exams. I prepared for them for several months, a few years ago, but i gave it up. Too tough, academic and the didactic material was too dry, for my taste. I am too addicted to your current popular crime fiction writers and that American English doesn´t seem to count a lot to the British English examiners! They don´t know what they are missing
Cambridge? What do they know? Those folks speak “British English”, if you know what I mean, so better watch out. Our standards are just as rigorous, but in a different way.

Quote:
As long as you spell like that you will do well with Cambridge and probably with Alan as well.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Oh, what an excuse. Just read some books by Ruth Rendell, Elizabeth George, or other excellent British authors of crime novels. Read some Sherlock Holmes stories and you'll not only start talking like a Brit, you'll talk like a Victorian Brit

Amethyst

Quote:
. I am too addicted to your current popular crime fiction writers and that American English doesn´t seem to count a lot to the British English examiners! .
Old 07-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, what an excuse. Just read some books by Ruth Rendell, Elizabeth George, or other excellent British authors of crime novels. Read some Sherlock Holmes stories and you'll not only start talking like a Brit, you'll talk like a Victorian Brit

Amethyst
Amethyst: I read some of those when I started with my English almost 40 years ago. But with age I´ve become a philistine or less intellectual, and my authors run to the Pelecanos, Block, Sandford, McBain, Wambaugh, Hiaasen, Coben, Grisham, Lescroart, Parker, King, Koontz, Canell etc.
Aside from their entertaining value it provides me with what I think is current popular English, certainly less stylish.

I appreciate your advice, nonetheless
Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes boring is good. It means being content with yourself, not having to please others. Being content for a long time beats being euphoric once-in-a-while. After reading the posts, you certainly are not boring to your peers here !

Rich, LCSW
Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you think you are a big bore, maybe you can have a post retirement career in the oil & gas industry
I will send you an application.

On the other hand, you might be happier driving a cab in New York City.

el Gitano
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Queue T-Al...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This usually responds to a little drinking. There are 3 resons for drinking.(A 4th, taste, is often suggested, but is completely bogus.) Number one is to make sex more palatable, either to yourself or to your partner. #2 is to decrease discomfort in social situations such as you describe above. #3 is to get blotto to temporarily wipe away cares and anxieties. This last one is the only one that is likely to get out of hand.

So buy a nice silver flask, and off to the party you go!

Ha
Beer: Helping ugly people have sex since 1862...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No, actually if someone isn't into jazz, surfing or biking, I think they'd find me pretty boring. Online, I'm less boring.
I'm what some call "a mile wide, and an inch deep"; I can converse semi-intelligently about all sorts of stuff. But I have found that my taste in music is too eclectic for nearly anyone who isn't a musician...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Sometimes boring is good. It means being content with yourself, not having to please others. Being content for a long time beats being euphoric once-in-a-while. After reading the posts, you certainly are not boring to your peers here !

Rich, LCSW
+1 Being boring isn't quite the same as being bored.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote