Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
My father used to bellow "Rise and shine" every morning to get us out of bed. Occasionally he threw in a "Time to swab the decks!" if he was in a particularly good mood.

He claimed this is how he was awakened while in the navy during WWII. I pointed out over and over (always in vain) that none of his three daughters had enlisted in the navy, as far as I was aware.

I am 100% night owl, and can't wait to retire, when I will be able to stay up very late, and sleep late too.
If I recall correctly, it was "Reveille, reveille! Up all bunks! All hands, heave out and trice up!" followed almost immediately by "Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft. Sweep down all lower decks, ladder and passageways."

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 04:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
My father used to bellow "Rise and shine" every morning to get us out of bed. Occasionally he threw in a "Time to swab the decks!" if he was in a particularly good mood.

He claimed this is how he was awakened while in the navy during WWII. I pointed out over and over (always in vain) that none of his three daughters had enlisted in the navy, as far as I was aware.

I am 100% night owl, and can't wait to retire, when I will be able to stay up very late, and sleep late too.
When they said "rise and shine" did it mean - get up and shine your shoes?

Old 05-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad are I are night and day on everything. A few years ago while looking at past photos, I noticed how close I resembled my dad. Family resemblance was uncanny. Am glad that's the only close resemblance.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #24

From as far back as I can remember... late 1930's until my marriage in '58, dad worked the late shift as a textile "loomfixer", so he was going to bed as I was getting up for school.

Now, it's one of the old age syndromes of irregular sleep times. Bedtime between 6:30 PM and 1 AM, but always up at 5:15 AM, to greet the sun. Daytime sleep/naps, just as irregular. When into an interesting project, of bingewatching an old TV series, sometimes go for 36 to 40 hours without sleep.

Fortunately none of this irregularity seems to have long term bad effects. Some three or four years ago, asked for some help from the doctor, who prescribed an anti epileptic low dose drug, based on some earlier experience I had with it.

Me... "What if I get addicted?"... She, smiling... "Seriously... how old are you?

And so this was the solution, for a while, until I realized I really didn't need a solution. Now... when the 24 hour thingy happens, I take a 1/2 tablet. Total maybe 6 tablets in the past few months.

Sleep is always accompanied with a TV program, classical music, or once in a while, a sleep CD or white sound. Doesn't much matter.

Have stopped thinking about REM sleep, or strange dreams... Have pretty much gotten dreams under conscious control, where I can interact, and make things happen.

If, over the past several years, my posts indicated peaceful, stable sleep patterns... Well... I lied. Fact is though a little bit strange, not a problem... It's just part of the later years, and a way to make the most of the time remaining.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #25

I've always been a night owl which influenced my choice of job and then the job reinforced the behaviour. When working I used to be able to go with very little or no sleep for a day or two and then catch up by sleeping for 16 hours. Years of getting up at 6 am never really stuck and now when left to my own I am up late and awake at 9 or so.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When they said "rise and shine" did it mean - get up and shine your shoes?
In the Air Force, shoes were shined before you went to bed. That was true during Basic Training.

After you were assigned, it was whatever worked. But, then again, when I was "in", it was like having a 4 year job.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If I recall correctly, it was "Reveille, reveille! Up all bunks! All hands, heave out and trice up!" followed almost immediately by "Sweepers, sweepers, man your brooms. Give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft. Sweep down all lower decks, ladder and passageways."
Sounds like my dad gave us the bite-size version every morning! I guess I should be grateful for that!
Old 05-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Mother sang the whole song! But not to wake us up. She just liked the song, especially the line about murdering the bugler so everyone could get more sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
Are we related? My father sang the same dang song! ::shudder:: he had slightly different words: "it's time to get up, it's time to get up, it's time to get up in the morning DA DA DA DA DA DDDDAAAAA DA"

Nobody I've ever mentioned that to had heard of that tradition. It was a terrible way to wake up. So obnoxious.