Join Early Retirement Today

I am my father ...
Old 05-15-2016, 05:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am my father ...

Years ago when I visited the old man in Florida I noticed he had the habit of getting up at 530AM. I was always more of roster then an owl you know "Early to bed, Early to rise..." But 5:00AM? Yikes...
I can remember my mother coming in to my brothers and my room singing that dam song. To the tune of reveille - "you got to get up, you got to get up, you got to get up in the morning...da da da da daaa.." Man I hated that song...

Well I got up yesterday at 5:30, today at five, walked the pooch... Dam I am my father...
Yeah I've taken to napping too..
In truth I love the morning..

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 05:23 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hilarious post and nice way to start my day reading this - brought back some great memories. I got up today at 3:15 a.m. - once I am awake I go ahead and get up. Usually only a 30 min nap every other day or so. I love the quiet time of the morning and the rest of the world waking up. The first hint of dawn in a few hours.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #3

I found that when I was not working, I was getting up at 5 or so, and really enjoying the dog walk, etc.

On the job again, and I think of reasons to stay in bed...
Old 05-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

It's 5:05am local time here, and I've been up for about 20 minutes, despite the fact that I have no pressing reason to be.

Yikes indeed!
Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #5

When the sun is intense I get up at sunrise. Summertime New Zealand that's around 6am.

When it's not I just keep sleeping and dozing, usually for 9 to 12 hours.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #6

Have been waking up at 4am for the past few weeks but probably due to nerves and stress over getting the house empty for the buyer.

Isn't it funny that when you were working it was hard to get up at 7am but now you get up at 4am or 5am when you could sleep until noon.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still up around 6:30 am with a doze to 7:00 am. Must be a hold over from years of "you know what". DW, on the other hand, is a 5:30 am riser.

I am a night owl, though and never in bed before 11:30 pm.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

I like getting up early. It makes the day better for me.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #9

Most days I get up a little before 6:00, but occasionally it could be 4:30 to as late as 7:00. As to my parents, I don't know what time they used to get up because I was always asleep and the last one to get up.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:51 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not me. I sleep when I'm sleepy, and wake when I feel like it. I often take naps in the late afternoon/early evening and stay up until 2 or 3 or later. I do get up at around 8 or so to feed the dogs and let them out. That's my only consistency, but if I'm still tired I just go back to bed for an hour or so. Sometimes I'm in bed by midnight, sometimes I see the sky brightening when I go to bed. Overall, I get about 7 hours of sleep per day.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I can remember my mother coming in to my brothers and my room singing that dam song. To the tune of reveille - "you got to get up, you got to get up, you got to get up in the morning...da da da da daaa.." Man I hated that song...

Are we related? My father sang the same dang song! ::shudder:: he had slightly different words: "it's time to get up, it's time to get up, it's time to get up in the morning DA DA DA DA DA DDDDAAAAA DA"

Nobody I've ever mentioned that to had heard of that tradition. It was a terrible way to wake up. So obnoxious.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #12

This time of year I almost always sleep with the sun. I go to bed shortly after sunset at around 9 and then wake up shortly after 5 when the sun is shining in. If it's a rainy morning then the light might not get me up until 7.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #13
Administrator

I love the morning but have to set an alarm to make sure I am up by 9 AM and don't miss the entire morning. If I don't set an alarm, I stay up too late, sleep too late, and end up with a 25 hour day with bedtime an hour later each night. That's no fun.

Really, I prefer getting up at 8 AM instead of 9 AM, so I need to transition back to that. 7 AM is good too, but 8 AM seems about perfect.

Until I retired, I thought I was a morning person. I was always seated at my desk at work before 6 AM. After I retired, for the first time I didn't have any obligations forcing me to get up early any more. So now I'm not sure. I still like the mornings a lot but maybe not enough to get up super early.

Nothing more delicious than napping for 20 minutes around 5 PM.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I snoozed till almost 10 this morning. Decided at 9:57 am I'd get up so no one would think me lazy. People might think I was unemployed instead of ER'd.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #15

I won't know what my natural sleep patterns are till I get the kids launched. I still have to get them up and out to school. So during the school week I get up at 5am or 5:50am - depending on whether I'm driving them or they're taking the bus to school. I use the early hours to walk the dog on the beach... this time of year the sun is already up and the surfers out. During the winter it's dark at the beach.

I tend to be a morning person... If I 'sleep in' it's like 7am. But then again, I'm always asleep by 10pm... Definitely not a night owl.

I plan on co-opting the song for annoying my kids. Extra er.org bonus for the morning. Bwa ha ha ha ha.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Fortunately for me, my mother was a night owl. Even worked the night shift.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My father woke me for school with that same song (Some day they're gonna shoot the bugler .... some day they're gonna find him dead...).

5 a.m. is now normal wake up time for me

Rich
Old 05-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #18

One of my friends, with whom I shared a place in Australia, (lo, these five plus decades ago), used to sing bellow "Good morning, good morning....it's great to stay out late, good morning, good morning".

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:53 PM   #19

DW is one of the early risers, for me 8:00 is early, sleeping until 10:00 is not unusual.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
One of my friends, with whom I shared a place in Australia, (lo, these five plus decades ago), used to sing bellow "Good morning, good morning....it's great to stay out late, good morning, good morning".
My father used to bellow "Rise and shine" every morning to get us out of bed. Occasionally he threw in a "Time to swab the decks!" if he was in a particularly good mood.

He claimed this is how he was awakened while in the navy during WWII. I pointed out over and over (always in vain) that none of his three daughters had enlisted in the navy, as far as I was aware.

I am 100% night owl, and can't wait to retire, when I will be able to stay up very late, and sleep late too.