Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Those parents are sick.

Those kids earned that candy and doing that work was a good lesson in life skills (doing a deed or chore, pleasant or otherwise and getting a payment).
I think the parents were trying to teach their kids life lessons. And, I imagine the kids will never forget the lessons they learned: be careful whom you trust; work, (hard or pleasant, etc.) doesn't always pay off; don't count your chickens; remember to rebalance; delayed gratification is over-rated; don't trust anyone over 25; a candy bar in your face is worth two in your candy jar; LBYM (keeping up with the Jones's (the Jones' kids got to keep all their candy) is not important; being on television at any cost is worth that cost.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I think the parents were trying to teach their kids life lessons. And, I imagine the kids will never forget the lessons they learned: be careful whom you trust; work, (hard or pleasant, etc.) doesn't always pay off; don't count your chickens; remember to rebalance; delayed gratification is over-rated; don't trust anyone over 25; a candy bar in your face is worth two in your candy jar; LBYM (keeping up with the Jones's (the Jones' kids got to keep all their candy) is not important; being on television at any cost is worth that cost.
I don't think that was their intent at all. But each to his own opinion.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #23

I think we're taking this waaay too seriously. Here's a list of 46 reasons a three year old might have a melt-down. 46 Reasons My Three Year Old Might be Freaking Out | Jason Good

Folks that haven't raised children may not get the melt-downs and tantrums. Sometimes it's about poor parenting, other times it's just the way children are.

Here's another list that makes you want to laugh, and feel some empathy for the parents http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/119/36...p-But-Laugh-At
Old 11-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #24

Did you see this in the comments section of the first link?

Quote:
These are all so funny! I'm a grandma now, but when my daughter was about 5... she was playing with a little boy from the neighborhood. Of course, they eventually started arguing.... I was about to go in to stop it, when I heard the boy say... ''boys are better than girls'... after a few 'are not' ... are too.'... I heard my frustrated daughter say...'Well, I used to e a boy, but it fell off!'... Complete silence... then a screaming little boy running past me, out the front door and home to mom ! Luckily, his mom was my good friend! His mom called, laughing hysterically, and said her son was crying his eyes out, and kept screaming that he 'didn't want to be a goofy old girl'! We still get a laugh out of that one, over 35 years later!
What a howl!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I tried not to make my kids cry on purpose because really it is just too easy to make a little one cry and why promote a tantrum when they are perfectly able to melt down embarrassingly in public at the worst possible time without any help from me.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I think we're taking this waaay too seriously. Here's a list of 46 reasons a three year old might have a melt-down. 46 Reasons My Three Year Old Might be Freaking Out | Jason Good

Folks that haven't raised children may not get the melt-downs and tantrums. Sometimes it's about poor parenting, other times it's just the way children are.

Here's another list that makes you want to laugh, and feel some empathy for the parents 36 Reasons My Kid Is Crying... Temper Tantrums You Can't Help But Laugh At (GALLERY)

I get the odd temper tantrum in the candy or toy aisle. But in this case, the parents are the ones intentionally provoking the tantrum, are they not? Is it what parents do? I wouldn't know, I am one of those folks who did not raise children.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I get the odd temper tantrum in the candy or toy aisle. But in this case, the parents are the ones intentionally provoking the tantrum, are they not? Is it what parents do? I wouldn't know, I am one of those folks who did not raise children.
Some parents feel like Feever, the kids don't need any help. Others just look at this as one small moment of revenge. Either way, I guess most of us that see the humor in this video see it because we've been there. A sort of brotherhood of shared pain...
Old 11-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Some parents feel like Feever, the kids don't need any help. Others just look at this as one small moment of revenge. Either way, I guess most of us that see the humor in this video see it because we've been there. A sort of brotherhood of shared pain...
Goes to show, I should stick with raising cats.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I'm waiting for the video of teenage girls and their angst with their mothers (and even easier for a mom to provoke). Now that I can commiserate with.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #30

OK, what's this about? Eight comments in a row from the mods or mods emeritus, booked-ended by comments by redduck. And, none of us can use the ignore button for any of the 10 comments. Is that some kind of record? Kind of like Ben Roethlisberger throwing six touchdowns two games in a row.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, what's this about? Eight comments in a row from the mods or mods emeritus, booked-ended by comments by redduck. And, none of us can use the ignore button for any of the 10 comments. Is that some kind of record? Kind of like Ben Roethilsberger throwing six touchdowns two games in a row.
I should ignore this but decided not to...

Only mods are 'unignorable'. Feel free to add any of us emeriti to your Iggy List.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Just quarantine me, Mr Duck.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
OK, what's this about? Eight comments in a row from the mods or mods emeritus, booked-ended by comments by redduck. And, none of us can use the ignore button for any of the 10 comments. Is that some kind of record? Kind of like Ben Roethlisberger throwing six touchdowns two games in a row.
If you PM me, I'll hide my post or erase it.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Only mods are 'unignorable'. Feel free to add any of us emeriti to your Iggy List.
Feel free to add me to your ignore list as well. I'll make sure to reciprocate.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #35

This feels like high school when I walked into a room and the class officers were having a meeting. Anyway, we've now added four additional class officer posts or ex-class officer posts continuing the string (if you can overlook me). Kind of like Ben Roethlisberger throwing six touchdowns two games in a row and fumbling twice.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You're in rare form tonight, duck. What happened - did someone eat all your Halloween candy?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not having kids, I am not qualified to comment. Still its one of those things that I watched and laughed at but feel more than a little guilty. I don't think it's appropriate for Kimmel to be encouraging parents to do it. I guess that's why I'm not a huge fan of him.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This feels like high school when I walked into a room and the class officers were having a meeting. Anyway, we've now added four additional class officer posts or ex-class officer posts continuing the string (if you can overlook me). Kind of like Ben Roethlisberger throwing six touchdowns two games in a row and fumbling twice.
Do you really know if Big Ben actually knows he threw 6 two weeks in a row?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know who Ben Roethlisberger is but I was secretary of Spanish Club in high school.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #40

The streak continues. However, REWahoo, I put you on my ignore list so I wasn't able to read your question about other people eating all my Halloween candy.

Yes, my all my candy was eaten by those bigger than me (also those smaller than me, but I don't want to talk about that). This reminds me of when I went into that classroom where the class officers were having their meeting and the vice-president took my lunch. She even took the celery sticks (and my Converse tennis shoes).