Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO the Allmans have an incredible rhythm section. I've seen them often over the years, and they are as good as they ever were. I personally would prefer Wolf or Muddy or John Lee or whoever, but they are all dead. BB's still here, but he's phoning it in, and I can't blame him. I do see Buddy Guy whenever possible.

So I watch what I can, and I'm glad there are still youngsters coming along who appreciate the music and want to play it. And just like us when we were young, some of the kids today will eventually realize that their pop stars are covering older songs, and they'll track it back through the white rockers to the black originals. And they'll gather appreciation for the new guys carrying on the traditions. So the audience will be there, even though the paparazzi won't know who they are.

By the way, when I do see Buddy Guy or Keb Mo or the Allmans, there's always a significant percentage of younger folks in the crowd.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

My son took this pic of Van Halen at Line6 in Californa, 2005.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
IMO the Allmans have an incredible rhythm section. I've seen them often over the years, and they are as good as they ever were.
I agree about the Allmans, but what I meant is not that the drummers or bass players were not good, just that most of the black music tends to "jump" and be danceable, while the white versions tend to be stand-able. Not that it isn't good; it is just different. A club band in a black neighborhood had to create dance music, and that tends to be a necessary part of black commercial music like Hip-Hop also.

Even the old black acoustic music was often played in juke joints where people went to dance. Have a look at the wonderful scene in the beginning of "Great Balls of Fire" where Jerry and his cousin Jimmy Swaggert peak in the windows of a juke joint on Saturday night.

Ha
Old 03-27-2009, 04:40 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Not sure of the accuracy, but there's a hilarious scene in the Great Balls Of Fire movie, wherein many of the stars of the era were touring together, and Jerry Lee was po'd that Chuck Berry got top billing. So, at the end of his performance, Jerry set his piano on fire, and as he walked off stage, he told Chuck to "top that"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I agree about the Allmans, but what I meant is not that the drummers or bass players were not good, just that most of the black music tends to "jump" and be danceable, while the white versions tend to be stand-able. Not that it isn't good; it is just different.
Ah, I misunderstood. And I agree. The music today is standable. Perfect description. Of course, the reason I prefer to be in the band is that I can't dance. This smiley is a pretty goood example of me on the dance floor.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
My son took this pic of Van Halen at Line6 in Californa, 2005.

Does he have a tablecloth wrapped around his waist?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Does he have a tablecloth wrapped around his waist?
LOl.....not sure, but they said he was lit pretty good.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dont know either. But he scares the hell out of me.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I dont know either. But he scares the hell out of me.
I wonder why society expects rock & roll "artists" to be witty & articulate paragons, let alone sober...

If someone like Eddie could communicate effectively through traditional media, would he really have spent all those hours perfecting his guitar technique?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
...BB's still here, but he's phoning it in, and I can't blame him...
I was lucky enough to see BB King on his 80th birthday tour, coincidentally at the same old style theatre I saw Aretha perform in Sep 08 for my 50th.
He preferred to sit all during his performance, but there was nothing wrong with his fingers. He was a real character, openly flirting with some ladies in the front rows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBKing-poster.JPG (529.3 KB, 0 views)