Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Look... you need to stay out of the candy until after beggar's night. Here is how you do it.
First make a peanut butter and chocolate cheese cake. Then a lime cheese cake followed by a caramel cheese cake. Make some chocolate and mint panna cotta. If that doesn't hold you for the next few weeks, make some chocolate lava cakes and creme brulee.

Might as well make a pumpkin cheese cake while you're at it ... save it for thanksgiving. If this doesn't give you enough to eat in place of the candy... multiply the recipe.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought the large bag of assorted candy from Costco, and hid it in the pantry so DH doesn't get into it. We get a lot of trick or treaters, and there's usually not many pieces left on November 1. Of course, I eat more than my share of the Almond Joys as I'm answering the door.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #23

We give out the full size bars. I buy 3 boxes and put them on the top shelf in the pantry so they're out of sight. My husband doesn't eat goodies except for popcorn and pretzels. I hide them from me and I'm pretty good about not eating any. Any left over candy goes to work so I'm not tempted.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:54 PM   #24

simply keep the ear worm going:

I can hear it callin' me the way it used to do,
I can hear it callin' me back home!

But I got to go away from this place,
I've got to quit you, yeah
Old 10-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #25

In the 16 years I've lived in my house, I have not had one trick-or-treater. I live on a 2-lane highway with no streetlights or sidewalks, so I've always figured if I DID have any of the little munchkins turn up, they would be kids whose parents weren't overly fond of them!

Doesn't stop me from buying a bag of the mini Nestle crunch bars every year, though, "just in case" there's a first time. It's a complete coincidence that that is my favorite candy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
We give out the full size bars. I buy 3 boxes and put them on the top shelf in the pantry so they're out of sight. My husband doesn't eat goodies except for popcorn and pretzels. I hide them from me and I'm pretty good about not eating any. Any left over candy goes to work so I'm not tempted.
Mega will power there! No way can I hide goodies from myself!
Old 10-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Candy I can resist ! Girl scout cookies especially Samoas . No way . You put them in the freezer and enjoy one cookie at a time .
Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #28
Administrator

With my constant weight loss struggle, I refuse to keep candy in the house.

From what F says, there are never any trick-or-treaters on our block. So, it will all work out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #29

You folks are just too funny.

Years ago, a friend told me about Poor Man's Payday, peanuts and candy corn.

Candy corn was on sale a couple weeks ago at Kroger and we already had peanuts. We bought two bags of the candy corn because it would be nice to "mix up a batch and give it to the kids".

Maybe 1/4 of the second bag of candy corn remains. Almost every evening I measure out a bowl. Oh, this needs more peanuts, wait a few more candy corn....

I have been such a Poor Man's Payday Pig.

We have not been home the last three Halloweens, but looks like we will be this year, so the real (chocolate candy) test is ahead.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #30

Never had a trick-or-treater knock on the door in the 10+ years we have lived here. Nearest neighbors are probably 1/2 mile away and they don't have any kids.

Matter of fact, now that I think about it, no one has ever knocked on our door in all the time we have lived out here in the country. Guess I won't need to install that door bell.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy the candies I don't really like and still ended up eating 10 boxes of Dots yesterday. I mean, who really eats Dots, they aren't even good and they stick to your teeth. I better eat the rest of them, the boxes are so little...
Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #32

We will be in NC at Halloween, so we can watch the grandkids trick or treating and watching the grandkids while their parents are moving. I am sure we will be helping with packing also. This will be the first time since 1986 that we will not be home to pass out the candy. We also buy too much, because you would not want to run out.

My daughter's family was home this past weekend, so we could go to the pumpkin patch and corn maze together. She went to Sam's Club and bought me a large bag of the Black and White Popcorn right before they left on Sunday. It has 17 servings at 140 calories each serving. My DH probably ate 1 serving, if he was lucky. I finished the bag last night. I do well at not buying stuff that I really like, but have absolutely no willpower if it is in the house.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #33

We get about a 100+ trick-or-treaters every year. Van loads of kids arrive from the rural parts (which is less than a mile away). We live in a comfortably affluent neighborhood. A house up the street gives away full-sized Hershey bars (well, they work for the company). Anyway, we do not taste before Halloween. Afterward, DH and I pick some of our favorites, then I used to take the rest to work. So what am I going to do now
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We miss the door knockers, only residents get to call. But after Nov 1, there are plenty of bargains!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

This year I will not buy until the day before Halloween. That's the only solution that I think will work. Only problem is some years we don't get that many visitors. The candy doesn't go to waste...
Old 10-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
We get about a 100+ trick-or-treaters every year. Van loads of kids arrive from the rural parts (which is less than a mile away). We live in a comfortably affluent neighborhood. A house up the street gives away full-sized Hershey bars (well, they work for the company). Anyway, we do not taste before Halloween. Afterward, DH and I pick some of our favorites, then I used to take the rest to work. So what am I going to do now
After about 95 kids go thru start being very,very generous to the last half-a-dozen trick or treaters......
Old 10-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
After about 95 kids go thru start being very,very generous to the last half-a-dozen trick or treaters......

Then turn off the lights when you run out of candy!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Mega will power there! No way can I hide goodies from myself!
AJA, The top shelf can only be reached with a ladder or a six footer like my husband. Ladder is in the greenhouse. I'm not going out there to lug in the ladder and husband will not give me any candy once it's on the shelf. Bring candy home and get it on the top shelf asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I buy the candies I don't really like and still ended up eating 10 boxes of Dots yesterday. I mean, who really eats Dots, they aren't even good and they stick to your teeth. I better eat the rest of them, the boxes are so little...
You really made me laugh! I love Dots and won't buy them. edit to add...I really hate Swedish fish too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I did that one year. If I don't take it to work it goes to a neighbor with kids. It HAS to get out of the house that night or the next morning.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #39

DW looked in the trash can and said "Aha!"

Apparently one whole bag of little Snickers bars has, um, ablated. Yeah, that's it, that's what happened, it ablated!
Old 10-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #40

My sister use to say that when she got the bag home from the store she discovered a hole in the bag. She had to taste test them to make sure they were safe for the kids.