Join Early Retirement Today

I caught my tenant packing boxes during the night hours....
Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I caught my tenant packing boxes during the night hours....

Well, the same girl i wrote about last month didnt pay this month. I still hadnt talked to her since last month, although she did pay at that time, including late fees.

I walked to the door at 8pm this eve to serve her eviction notice, and i saw some boxes. I snooped around a bit and saw lots of boxes.

After talking to her, she said she'd be out monday with keys in my hand tuesday...understands she owes the rest of the rent (3 months on lease) and security deposit is being kept to go toward rent. She just didnt talk much-seems depressed, lost a job, got a new one, but waaay behind on stuff blah blah

So, wat do I do? I dont know where she works. know shes behind on lots of bills. Do I sue for the 3 months of rent she will miss, or chalk it up as a costof business? I think I should walk... but I dunno.

Im going to get an ad in the paper ASAP and see how it goes. i actually feel relieved at this point...not angry. it's wierd being at peace with something like this...its not like me!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #2

Well from lots of experience over the years...

Clean up the place ASAP, and start showing it now. At best you'll get a tennant towards the end of October. At worst the place will sit for a few months.

Per collecting the back rent/lease money.... Good luck with that. If you take her to court you will win. But then you'll have to collect. Tennats like these often have a long list of creditors, so you'll just have to get in line. Perhaps you could get some portion of the money back by using a collection service.

It's best to cut your loses and get a better tennant in next time.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Well from lots of experience over the years...

Clean up the place ASAP, and start showing it now. At best you'll get a tennant towards the end of October. At worst the place will sit for a few months.

Per collecting the back rent/lease money.... Good luck with that. If you take her to court you will win. But then you'll have to collect. Tennats like these often have a long list of creditors, so you'll just have to get in line. Perhaps you could get some portion of the money back by using a collection service.

It's best to cut your loses and get a better tennant in next time.

i used to be in collections so i know the process!! thats why i think i'll pass

I screend sooo much while this home was on the market...it was insane. iw as sure i had a winner...and honestly, i dont find 9/12 months to be too bad...better than expected. now ill have to see how bad the house really is tho...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #4

YOUR LUCKY! NO eviction!

She left paid in FULL ... and you get to keep a security deposit for breaking the lease.

No judge in MA will force a tenant to pay a broken lease under those circumstances. The owner would be wasting his time ... AND good luck collecting IF you get the judgement.

MOVE ON. And you've got a security deposit to help do it.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Walk away from trying to collect anything, Fed... you'll be better off in the long run just trying to get a good tenant in there quickly...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #6

Being a landlord, what an easy way to make lots of $$
Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Like most everyone else, I say walk. You can't get blood out of a turnip and will save yourself time and frustration by avoiding court.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great news, guys! I was on my way to serve the eviction notice on that tenant I told you about, and I find that she is leaving in just a few days! Now I don't have to spend months of time and money on getting her evicted. Yay -- I'm so happy. Not only that, but the security deposit will cover at least part of the last three months rent she owes!

I'm the luckiest guy on earth!