Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
DW's email account is also @sbcglobal.net which she signed up to through Yahoo many years ago and it followed her to ATT when we signed up to ATT DSL and later to ATT U-Verse. At least that is how I remember it. I signed up with GMail shortly after it was launched.

That is the path I have followed but I am still stuck at the low speed DSL. U-Verse hasn't made it to my immediate neighborhood for some reason.
Bjorn... I hope the same applies to me if I ever find an upgrade. As I am sure I will forget to change one of my accounts if I ever change ISP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is my cautionary tale about relying on the old telco email addresses:

I have had a pacbell.net email address for 18 years. It was the first email address I had aside from Prodigy--remember them?

I believe it was associated with plain old ATT long distance at the time--ATT DSL didn't exist then. Along the way, Pacific Bell (which became SBC then back to ATT!) hooked up with Yahoo to deliver the email.

I have long since abandoned ATT landline and DSL. So the pacbell email address wasn't associated with any ATT account. Whenever I had to change my password, it was a pain to find out where to do that on the att.net website.

Last month I was denied access to my email--the message was to go to the website and change my password. I knew from previous experience that I eventually had to call a service rep. Sure enough, when trying to change my password, I had to call.

the service rep had to call technical assistance and they said I couldn't change my password because I hadn't set up "security questions". Heck, there were no security questions in 1996!

So essentially I was frozen out of my pacbell email, which I had only been using for every single banking, retail, etc. account. The rep told me that they had basically been freezing out the so-called "free" legacy email accounts from the old Bell operating companies (Pacific Bell, Ameritech, etc.). I think if I had still had an ATT service they would have let me change my password.

So just a caution to make sure you have some sort of backup system to those old telco email accounts, if they are no longer associated with an ATT service.

What a pain to change emails in all those places, including early-retirement.org!

Old 06-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Comcast went ahead and install my internet this afternoon. After some delays, I'm up and running. I only got the lowest level (after speed testing, got a bit over 3MB download). In comparision to what I had, this feels like a sports car.

The biggest delay was him trying to find where is the box in the building (condo) for the cable connections and then trying to open that box, which took about an hour.

I tried cancelling my DSL service from ATT but on Sunday, they are pretty much unavailable. Kinda crazy. I'll have to call during weekday hours.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After a bad email switch I picked up my own domain name and a hosting service for my own email. My email addresses are owned by me and I can move to different host services as needed. Way less than $50/year if you just get the basics.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
<snip>With Cable, the Internet went down when the power went down, or shortly (ie a couple of hours) thereafter.

-gauss

This was over ten years ago and it may be better now, but back then I discovered that the local cable company was using little consumer-style UPS systems like you buy for your home computer for their amplifiers in the field. So after a power outage anywhere between here and the head-end, we still had service until the little UPS batteries drained, which was roughly between one and two hours.

I thought it was quite humorous, having a "data center" background and having been exposed to real UPSs, motor-generators that produce really clean DC power, and diesel generators that automatically start within 20 seconds of a utility outage.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Done deal. Put in the cancel order for my old internet.

Of course had to do that dance that went like..

Operator: You are cancelling, so sorry to hear that?

Me: Yep.

Operator: Guess what? You are in a U-Verse area, we can set that up for you. Is that ok?

Me: No, I just want to cancel my dsl.

Operator: Who do you have for TV service?

Me: I happy with OTA, don't have a tv service or cable, use my own antenna.

Operator: Do you have your cell phone with us? We have a plan, your wife and kids can be included too?

Me: (thinking to myself...I'm not married and don't have kids, but they just assumed I do. Their customer profiling didn't know that?).. No that's okay, I just go use a prepaid phone.

Operator: You'll get a free phone

Me: No thank you.

Finally...knowing that I really just want to cancel, the operator says if I change my mind, I can get the connection reactivated within 30 days.

She goes ahead and writes up the cancellation order.

Me... left feeling like someone just tried to sell me a car that I wasn't looking for
Old 06-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Operator: Guess what? You are in a U-Verse area, we can set that up for you. Is that ok?

Operator: Do you have your cell phone with us? We have a plan, your wife and kids can be included too?

Me: (thinking to myself...I'm not married and don't have kids, but they just assumed I do. Their customer profiling didn't know that?).. No that's okay, I just go use a prepaid phone.

Finally...knowing that I really just want to cancel, the operator says if I change my mind, I can get the connection reactivated within 30 days.

Me... left feeling like someone just tried to sell me a car
They are all trained on the upsell these days. Once upon a time, customer service was there to help you with a problem.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
After a bad email switch I picked up my own domain name and a hosting service for my own email. My email addresses are owned by me and I can move to different host services as needed. Way less than $50/year if you just get the basics.
I did something similar... I use "Pobox Lifetime Email - Mailboxes, Email Forwarding, Spam Protection and Personal Domains" and have used it since sometime in the '90s. It is a forwarding service that you pay $10/year. basically you send an email to your pobox.com email and it is forwarded to which ever email you like. I have changed my email provider many times, but have always kept my pobox.com email address... For me it is well worth the cost.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:

She goes ahead and writes up the cancellation order.

Me... left feeling like someone just tried to sell me a car that I wasn't looking for
Notice that they did not even try to negotiate your cost for the DSL service that you were cancelling.

My experience was much the same when cancelling my cable television. I told them that it was because I needed to lower my bill. No negotiation or bargains on television service were suggested at all. I made it pretty clear I did not want to "save" by including phone and consequently increasing my bill.

They seem to have taken me off their "please pay more to bundle!" snail mail list. It's been two weeks and I haven't received a single one.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:47 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Notice that they did not even try to negotiate your cost for the DSL service that you were cancelling.

My experience was much the same when cancelling my cable television. I told them that it was because I needed to lower my bill. No negotiation or bargains on television service were suggested at all. I made it pretty clear I did not want to "save" by including phone and consequently increasing my bill.

They seem to have taken me off their "please pay more to bundle!" snail mail list. It's been two weeks and I haven't received a single one.
I purposely avoided talking about the rates of my new provider as I really didn't want to have the operator "work on me" to get me to switch back. In fact, I intentionally made no mention of Comcast or Tracfone to avoid a rate comparison conversation.

When asked why I decided to drop my DSL, I just said "I wanted to try the other company out to see what they are like." Which actually is not a lie.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #31

Quote:
I finally decided to pull the trigger and changed my internet provider from the very basic ATT DSL to faster (and hopefully more reliable) Comcast Internet. I got internet only as I'm still sticking with OTA TV.

I'll miss the $20/month rate I was getting for the basic DSL for about the last 15 years, but it'll be great to actually view something on Amazon Prime and Youtube and not have to quit cause of just stopping or constantly buffering. With Comcast I got their Economy Plus plan which is $19.95/month for the first year, then will go up to about 29.95 - 39.95 month.

The Cable Guy (sounds like a movie) is gonna do the install on Sunday, 6/1.

Of course, I could have just upgraded to U-Verse and kept my email. But that would've been too easy, plus I have an ax to grind

The irony is that over the last couple of weeks, my spotty DSL service actually has been staying on most of the time.
Your comcast cable rate is very good IMO. Mine was $60 and they wanted to charge me over $70 if I dropped my cable, and that's when I dumped both. I have DSL now (highest speed possible which isn't much, but Uverse is not available in my area), but it works fine - no buffering. And one thing I like a lot about it (besides the lower fee) is that it hasn't flaked on me since I got it installed a few months ago while my Comcast internet used to go down a lot and I will then have to disconnect/connect cable/power cycle modem/getting it reset by Comcast, etc.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Your comcast cable rate is very good IMO. Mine was $60 and they wanted to charge me over $70 if I dropped my cable, and that's when I dumped both. I have DSL now (highest speed possible which isn't much, but Uverse is not available in my area), but it works fine - no buffering. And one thing I like a lot about it (besides the lower fee) is that it hasn't flaked on me since I got it installed a few months ago while my Comcast internet used to go down a lot and I will then have to disconnect/connect cable/power cycle modem/getting it reset by Comcast, etc.
For me, at least so far, I've had the opposite result where the DSL would go down often requiring me to cycle the modem and or try to wait the problem out. Whereas, at least for the first day, no problem whatsoever with Comcast.

To be fair the last couple of weeks, my DSL was up and reliable. I think because a neighbor had just moved in and after bumping me offline when ATT installed her service, I said to the installer to watch out and he probably fixed what was not working. But now I have over twice the speed as before and connection has been reliable.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Been gone for a few days. I come home and in the mail get an offer from AT&T to sign up for a bundle and get a $400 reward card. The letter is going to my recycle bin.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Experienced my first outage yesterday since switching internet providers from ATT to Comcast. At first, when the internet went down, my reaction was "this can't be" as the main reason I switched is to have a reliable connection.

At least the outage didn't last long and during the intermittent connection I was able to go to my account summary and see a post showing Comcast was aware of the outage and working on resolving it..with an expected fix time.