Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Question for the women on the board. Is there a good or bad time to give practical things? I assume V Day is not a good idea but are other times bad?

Also since the woman the board are more practical than average woman, could you share thoughts of girlfriends reaction to the Vacuum cleaner for a B-day present?
IF she has specifically asked for a practical gift, then by all means go ahead and get it for her -- but give it to her as a special "just because I knew you wanted it" surprise...not as a b'day, V Day or Christmas gift.

For me, some of the best, most thoughtful gifts I've ever received have been those that involve experiences more than things. For example, I have always wanted to learn to paint with watercolors and must have mentioned it at some point to my family. I was blown away one Christmas when my DD gave me a series of lessons to the local art center along with a gift certificate to the local art supplies shop.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want to marry this woman someday, and not give her ammo to hit you over the head with going forward, forget the vacuum, get her something nice at Victoria's Secret..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
IF she has specifically asked for a practical gift, then by all means go ahead and get it for her -- but give it to her as a special "just because I knew you wanted it" surprise...not as a b'day, V Day or Christmas gift.

For me, some of the best, most thoughtful gifts I've ever received have been those that involve experiences more than things. For example, I have always wanted to learn to paint with watercolors and must have mentioned it at some point to my family. I was blown away one Christmas when my DD gave me a series of lessons to the local art center along with a gift certificate to the local art supplies shop.

i agree - if you give a gift that shows you were paying attention, you will get a happy girlfriend/wife...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!!

If you want, buy it for you, don't make it a gift. Men are from Mars Women from Venus. They just don't get it that while we are OK with getting a lawn mower as a gift, she on the other hand does not look at something to clean the house as a great gift. So buy it together or just buy it.

Married 40 yrs. I gave my wife a dust buster for some occasion, needless to say she still remembers, and let's me know on occasion.
Exactly!! Watch out for that.

Men think a good gift has to be something expensive and practical.

Women think a good gift has to say "I love you!" Where is the romance in a dust buster? Not there, that's where. And she shouldn't have to ask for it, because the idea is that you dwell on her every word, think about her constantly, and your love is so great you just HAVE to express it through your gift.

I know, I know. Just DO it. You know the routine. Flowers, card, jewelry with something romantic inscribed on it, and/or sexy lingerie (which she probably WILL end up wearing while she vacuums for you, if you are romantic enough!)

Like you said - - men are from Mars, women are from Venus.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Okay, someone came up with a worse idea than a vacuum cleaner...

Prince Charles gives Camilla sheep for birthday: report - Yahoo! News
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Many many years ago i sprang for a complete food processor with lots of blades and various containers and spouts and salad launchers and bread dough extruders and stuff. Multiple speeds, side shifter, turbo boost, EFI, all that good stuff. Took up most of a counter and lots of drawer space. This was not greeted with the creamy sense of awe and appreciation that I expected. OTOH, a cardboard star that i cut out and painted - not very well - graced our Christmas tree for over a decade. Womens is funny creatures.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I met my So online and when we were going to meet I told my friend where I was going in case he was an axe murderer .That christmas ,one of his presents was a silver axe charm .He can be really sweet .