I;d like to buy my fiance a vacuum...any suggestions?

One Mother's Day they bought me a mop. Yeah, don't do that. Another time it was a new frying pan. Yeah, don't do that one either.

Stuff like a vacuum should just be because you need one. Unless she asks for a vacuum. In my house, in my life, I'd be pretty ticked off if he spent a few hundred on jewelry when what I really needed was a new vacuum. But I'm not a roses/lingerie/jewelry kind of gal.

My BEST GIFTS were an Ipod Shuffle for my 50th birthday and a scanner for my computer for Valentine's Day. The big surprise there was because we don't normally give gifts on V-Day. I like stuff that's practical and I'm usually too [-]cheap[/-] thrifty to buy it for myself.

I handle all the banking/bill paying for us so it's hard to make a purchase and not have me know about it. One of the most thoughtful things my DH ever did for a gift is take cash out of the bank to buy my gift. That way I wouldn't know where he shopped and he could surprise me. That's how he bought the Ipod Shuffle and I never knew until I opened it. He even gave back the cash he didn't spend. Very well trained.

Also since the woman the board are more practical than average woman, could you share thoughts of girlfriends reaction to the Vacuum cleaner for a B-day present?

My money would ride on you not being "thanked" for that gift later.

To be safe, if you want to hedge your bets... if the practical gift was asked for, at least ensure that it's accompanied by something romantic as well. Fiscally responsible items would include a nice homemade dinner and a little letter.

I've got some can't-miss risotto that looks amazing, tastes great, and is easy enough that anyone can make it. And, you can make it for under $6.

images
top.jpg
I would splurge on some Bulgari perfume (about $86 for the 1.7 size or $125 for 3.4 (more for your money! also can get it in the gift box with some neat extras thrown in - Bulgari can afford it at those prices - if you really want to make an impression) along with the highest rated Consumer report Vac - might put the Bulgari in the Vac box to surprise and reassure her she's making the right choice in marrying you.

I bought a Roomba (Nords made me) and its cool. We are a little too sloppy for the little tyke. Usually when we vacuum we use the vacuum like a plow to shove stuff out of the way. Roomba can't do that. Also the forest of chair legs in dining room is a bother to the Roomba. I should pick up all the chairs first, but...

Anyway, I'm on a hardwood floor kick (esp. since daughter #2 got a job at a flooring company). I say put down hardwood. Buy nice but cheap area and accent rugs then throw them out when [-]the cat piss[/-] they become sufficiently soiled.

We have all hardwood at the beach and lots of tracked in sand. Me and the Roomba are headed to the beach in a few weeks.

My DW and I have a rule that we don’t buy each other gifts that have an electrical cord attached…….go pick something out together but don’t make it a gift.

Question for the women on the board. Is there a good or bad time to give practical things? I assume V Day is not a good idea but are other times bad?

Also since the woman the board are more practical than average woman, could you share thoughts of girlfriends reaction to the Vacuum cleaner for a B-day present?

She'll probably cry!!!

I am a practical person most of the time. I would not like to get a vacuum cleaner as a birthday gift, unless I specifically asked for it and I never can see that happening. However I did ask for my KitchenAid mixer one year for Christmas. I had a portable mixer, so I considered this a little luxury, since I did not really need it. I also asked for a set of pots and pans that I wanted for Christmas one year, but again, I already had pots and pans and would have a hard time justifying buying a new set if they were not a gift. However, I have been married for almost 35 yrs, and would have been upset about receiving those types of gifts when I was younger. A very good gift for me would be an Ipod or a trip to somewhere that I have been wanting to go for a long while (like Ireland) for more expensive gifts. An inexpensive gift would be a love letter (however, my spouse is not the type to do write them)!

In my house, in my life, I'd be pretty ticked off if he spent a few hundred on jewelry when what I really needed was a new vacuum. But I'm not a roses/lingerie/jewelry kind of gal.

Apparently I'm not either, since my ex and my various boyfriends have seldom if ever given me that sort of thing. Just one locket with an inscription would be remembered forever (not that it would ever actually HAPPEN). I refuse to ask for or demand romantic gifts, though. It's demeaning and takes away all the romance. Just because I am a self supporting professional with engineering and graduate degrees (and tall) doesn't mean I am one of the guys, but that seems to be the usual perception. :mad:

Personally I don't think she would get ticked off about a few hundred on jewelry, since he is the boyfriend, not the husband. At least, I wouldn't.

The best gift I ever received was on Valentines day 1990.It was a cheap red watch .The numbers were hearts and it said I love you .It probably cost all of $20.00 but it's my most cherished thing .So guys you don't have to spend a lot to impress us it just has to be from your heart .

The best gift I ever received was on Valentines day 1990.It was a cheap red watch .The numbers were hearts and it said I love you .It probably cost all of $20.00 but it's my most cherished thing .So guys you don't have to spend a lot to impress us it just has to be from your heart .

A $20 red watch with hearts that said I love you would be wonderful!!! Spend what you can and make it special somehow. I think inscriptions might be cheap (wouldn't know, since I never have got one, grrr...) :mad:.

Get a really romantic card to go with it. I think cards are just a buck or two these days.

Get one red rose too, if you'd rather not buy a dozen. Red roses mean love, so make sure it's red.

TheFed, bring home one of your vacuums from the duct-cleaning business, paint on some red hearts and "I Love You" and you're golden.

As for the Roomba -- vacuuming is the easiest and most enjoyable part of cleaning the house. You push the vacuum around the carpet and you get those nice patterns. It's rewarding.

Now, make a robot that puts aways stuff, cleans the toilets, and scrubs the stovetop, and I'll buy it.

DON'T DO IT!!!!

If you want, buy it for you, don't make it a gift. Men are from Mars Women from Venus. They just don't get it that while we are OK with getting a lawn mower as a gift, she on the other hand does not look at something to clean the house as a great gift. So buy it together or just buy it.

Married 40 yrs. I gave my wife a dust buster for some occasion, needless to say she still remembers, and let's me know on occasion.

Apparently I'm not either, since my ex and my various boyfriends have seldom if ever given me that sort of thing. Just one locket with an inscription would be remembered forever (not that it would ever actually HAPPEN). I refuse to ask for or demand romantic gifts, though. It's demeaning and takes away all the romance. Just because I am a self supporting professional with engineering and graduate degrees (and tall) doesn't mean I am one of the guys, but that seems to be the usual perception. :mad:

Personally I don't think she would get ticked off about a few hundred on jewelry, since he is the boyfriend, not the husband. At least, I wouldn't.

i learned a while ago you have to ask for what you want - of course if you've been with the same lunk head for a few years it's easier - new boyfriends, i would never.

also - one NICE gift (for me, it sparkles!) covers a few years worth of gifts - 1) because he sucks at remembering dates and 2) sucks worse at picking things out that i might like

so we picked something together and now we're both happy! :D

as for the vacuum, if she asked for it, then of course get it - but it would be a nice touch to put a nice bow on it, and/or throw on a nice little necklace or something over it - she might be floored! :eek: (you can't go wrong with a little chain w/ a heart on it, just observe if she wears white or yellow gold).

It didn't take long for my Roomba battery to crap out to the point where it wouldn't have full power even after an overnight charge, and it wouldn't last 5 minutes. Before that, I was mixed on it's ease of use and cuteness/fun factor vs. the only fair job it did cleaning and the prep time to clear the area. And it wasn't really meant for large open floor plans like my main floor has.

Question for the women on the board. Is there a good or bad time to give practical things? I assume V Day is not a good idea but are other times bad?

IF she has specifically asked for a practical gift, then by all means go ahead and get it for her -- but give it to her as a special "just because I knew you wanted it" surprise...not as a b'day, V Day or Christmas gift.

For me, some of the best, most thoughtful gifts I've ever received have been those that involve experiences more than things. For example, I have always wanted to learn to paint with watercolors and must have mentioned it at some point to my family. I was blown away one Christmas when my DD gave me a series of lessons to the local art center along with a gift certificate to the local art supplies shop.

If you want to marry this woman someday, and not give her ammo to hit you over the head with going forward, forget the vacuum, get her something nice at Victoria's Secret..........:D

IF she has specifically asked for a practical gift, then by all means go ahead and get it for her -- but give it to her as a special "just because I knew you wanted it" surprise...not as a b'day, V Day or Christmas gift.

For me, some of the best, most thoughtful gifts I've ever received have been those that involve experiences more than things. For example, I have always wanted to learn to paint with watercolors and must have mentioned it at some point to my family. I was blown away one Christmas when my DD gave me a series of lessons to the local art center along with a gift certificate to the local art supplies shop.

i agree - if you give a gift that shows you were paying attention, you will get a happy girlfriend/wife...:D

DON'T DO IT!!!!

If you want, buy it for you, don't make it a gift. Men are from Mars Women from Venus. They just don't get it that while we are OK with getting a lawn mower as a gift, she on the other hand does not look at something to clean the house as a great gift. So buy it together or just buy it.

Married 40 yrs. I gave my wife a dust buster for some occasion, needless to say she still remembers, and let's me know on occasion.

Exactly!! Watch out for that.

Men think a good gift has to be something expensive and practical.

Women think a good gift has to say "I love you!" Where is the romance in a dust buster? Not there, that's where. And she shouldn't have to ask for it, because the idea is that you dwell on her every word, think about her constantly, and your love is so great you just HAVE to express it through your gift.

I know, I know. Just DO it. You know the routine. Flowers, card, jewelry with something romantic inscribed on it, and/or sexy lingerie (which she probably WILL end up wearing while she vacuums for you, if you are romantic enough!) :2funny:

Like you said - - men are from Mars, women are from Venus.

Many many years ago i sprang for a complete food processor with lots of blades and various containers and spouts and salad launchers and bread dough extruders and stuff. Multiple speeds, side shifter, turbo boost, EFI, all that good stuff. Took up most of a counter and lots of drawer space. This was not greeted with the creamy sense of awe and appreciation that I expected. OTOH, a cardboard star that i cut out and painted - not very well - graced our Christmas tree for over a decade. Womens is funny creatures.

I met my So online and when we were going to meet I told my friend where I was going in case he was an axe murderer .That christmas ,one of his presents was a silver axe charm .He can be really sweet .

Back
Top Bottom