Join Early Retirement Today

I don't think I could be hired today
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think I could be hired today

I once walked out of an interview when I was asked to role play a situation with an imaginary client.

I can't imagine having to deal with this kind of BS.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last interview was 25 years ago. None of that silliness.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree.I would probably end up in prison.Can"t take peoples bs anymore.
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some are interesting....

I had an internal interview at my mega.... they thought there were a few good candidates so they sent us a request to write instructions on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually I would have fun with those kind of questions. What I don't like are the standard structured interview questions here at work. Like this:

"Describe a time when you changed established procedures or processes. How did you get others to follow? How did you deal with people who either could not, or would not, cooperate? What were the results?"

I guess I'm not the Megacorp type but unfortunately that's where I am for now.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I absolutely cannot stand that feel-good garbage where everyone hugs and kisses and sings kumbaya!!!!! I hated to go to meetings and conferences where that silliness seemed to be the order of the day. I've even been asked, as part of the icebreaking,"what kind of a boat I am" or what kind of a shoe"--totally, at least to me, inane and insulting. As a professional, I tried to treat--and expected to be treated--as such.

Someone reads about, or goes to a conference and views, some hairbrained idea, and suddenly it becomes SOP. One more reminder of why I'm glad I'm out!!!!

Prof 12
prof12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My last few jobs, I was never submitted to such "hardship" because they were contracting work. In one job, the corp knew me from my work in that field and did not even ask for a CV; they contacted me and asked me to help them.

I would not care to apply for another regular job. Would become a hermit boondocking in my RV before it comes to that. I feel sorry for my children now, as they still have a long working life in front of them and will have to change job a few times before able to call it quit.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #8

I have had very few job interviews in my life. The last one was 21 years ago and was fairly brief, though the guy who hired me was very astute and was probably sizing me up during what seemed like a casual conversation. All other work I had since then (which was in addition to this main gig) was as a result of people coming to me because they knew who I was and what I could do. Thank goodness for that. At this point in my life, the idea of having to prove myself to anyone goes against the grain but I know that there are still many smaller employers who value individuals. If I had to find work, I could.

I don't want to though

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had a really tough one for a non-profit, where 8 people interviewed me at once.
I don't think I could pull off looking serious if asked how to make a PB&J. I might be equally unemployable, but then again, I've never worked in a place with more than 30 employees. And God willing, never will.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #10

I dread - utterly dread - the prospect of ever again interviewing for a job. My spouse's recent experience was that the expectations that most employers today inflict on candidates are ridiculously unreasonable. There are simply far too many people chasing far too few decent jobs for the process to be anything other than completely abusive to any sensitive candidate who isn't a cousin of Superman.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I had a really tough one for a non-profit, where 8 people interviewed me at once.
I don't think I could pull off looking serious if asked how to make a PB&J. I might be equally unemployable, but then again, I've never worked in a place with more than 30 employees. And God willing, never will.

Just to be clear.... since we were internal candidates we had to write down how to make the PB&J and send it to them.... we got 24 hours... I am not sure that I could have kept a straight face if asked that question directly...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just to be clear.... since we were internal candidates we had to write down how to make the PB&J and send it to them.... we got 24 hours... I am not sure that I could have kept a straight face if asked that question directly...
I just wonder what in the hell they could ascertain about your qualifications from reading your instructions? A dartboard would have been more intellectually honest to aid in their selection. Or maybe pin the tail on the donkey.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just a test to check on your ability to write clearly and think logically. It answers the question: are you a good communicator.

Other employers ask for writing samples.

-- Rita
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #14

On the other side of the coin, DW sat on an interview board for an administrative position in a state government job. One of the rules was that all questions had to be determined prior to interviewing any candidates, and under no circumstances could any candidate be asked a question that deviated from the list. To ask one a different question from the others was not being "fair." Our tax dollars at work, I suppose.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

A penguin walks through that door right now wearing a sombrero. What does he say and why is he here?"

You must be kidding.

After my initial reaction, I'd probably conclude they did me a favor by showing their true colors before I seriously considered employment with that company. I'd like to know what answer would appeal to that employer? Can't imagine...

My HR Manager asked us to conclude all interviews with 'what one word would you use to describe yourself?' It seemed harmless enough so we did it, but it really never told us much. Most of the answers were predictably grand but unsubstantiated and therefore useless, though a few candidates actually managed to shoot themselves in the foot with one word.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #16

It's so good to be retired!
I can't imagine being interviewed and facing such silly questions. It would be difficult to not laugh. Some of the comments below the article are great.

As I look at volunteer opportunities some of the forms they want you to fill out are looking a little to much like "work", but I get to choose what I want to volunteer for or not. If they make the hassle factor too high I just pass up that volunteer gig and look for something else. At least in the volunteer world there are no discussions about compensation.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
On the other side of the coin, DW sat on an interview board for an administrative position in a state government job. One of the rules was that all questions had to be determined prior to interviewing any candidates, and under no circumstances could any candidate be asked a question that deviated from the list. To ask one a different question from the others was not being "fair." Our tax dollars at work, I suppose.
Not just the government. Our Megacorp has a standard pool of questions and you have to pick a set of questions for a particular position. Everyone interviewed for that position must be asked the exact same questions. I'm sure there's some CYA legal-type reason for that.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I was once asked in an interview for a job as an assistant D.A.:

Have you watched the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

I hadn't and that was that. I've never seen an interview go south so quick. Apparently pretty much everyone in the office had seen it and they liked to talk about it, etc. and the fact I hadn't meant I wouldn't fit in. I mean, the interviewer who asked me actually said I was being asked to find out if I would fit in. Another interviewer at the same interview wanted to know what book I had last read and then wanted a summary of what it was about when he hadn't heard of it.

That said -- those weren't the worse interview questions I got. The worst were:

How do you feel about competing with men?

Wouldn't it bother you to go up in a case against a man since you might beat him by winning the case? (This was for a job as a litigation attorney).

Sometimes I send my clerks out to buy a bottle of whiskey, would that bother you?

We might have to occasionally travel on business. If someone saw me at the airport with my bag and saw you at the airport with your little bag, they might wonder. Would that bother you?

How do you see your family plans (I was single in my mid-20's at the time but had allowed that in due course I might get married and have a family although I had no plans to do so at the time) as opposed to your career plans?

Yes, these interviews were in the late 1970s....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
3. "How many quarters would you need to reach the height of the Empire State building?"
None, if I took the stairs; 100 if I took the elevator. (Adult tickets cost $25) Things To Do In NYC - Observation Deck Tickets | Empire State Building
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

For one of my first job interviews right out of college (I applied to be an administrative assistant in a real estate office) I was asked if I were married or engaged. The interviewer was a woman, and I didn't realize the question was illegal (I was extremely naive). I said I was engaged (which I was) and she said that was good, since "the other girls hate it when a new pretty girl shows up and steals the men."

I didn't get the job, and wasn't sorry. I would not have "fit in."

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote