Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Didn't matter if I could have found one, USN said I WILL declare a state of residence. Maybe Nords knows more. While citizenship is definitely a national issue there are plenty of references to citizens of the various states being citizens of the US.
I think the Defense Finance & Accounting Service is just trying to help out 50 state comptrollers (51? 52? 53?) by forcing servicemembers to declare their intention to pay state tax somewhere, so that DFAS can obtain a sworn withholding form under penalty of perjury.

Which is why Florida, Texas, and Pennsylvania have so many military residents-- and why California is losing them as soon as they can transfer to FL, TX, or PA.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the military example would be instructive. No doubt jury summons are routinely issued to members of the military with a Florida legal residency and drivers' license. If that member is on an indefinite overseas assignment, wouldn't it be responded to with a claim of "a showing of hardship, extreme inconvenience, or public necessity".

See #6 here in the Florida jury statute:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Although the military juror-elect would have the advantage of a "public necessity claim", there should be a case of hardship and extreme inconvenience to be made for coming back from a foreign job to answer a jury call.

Also note the prospective penalty for just not showing up. Small, and is likely rarely applied.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wonder about all this angst about missing jury duty because you live overseas.... what are they going to do about it if you miss

I do go to jury duty every time I get a summons, except the time I lived in London... when I contacted them, all I had to do was show that I was working in London and could not make any of their dates (in Houston, when you change it has to be the same day on a different week... I think they give you 6 weeks)....

Also, they say that over half of the people they summon do not show... and they do nothing about it.... at least here, unless they can prove that you got your summons, you did not break any law.... just putting it in the mail is not proof....
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm...maybe I don't want to choose Florida as my residence address when I retire overseas. Or like Texas Proud said above, they probably won't do anything about it.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #45
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi again !
I'm getting ready to surrender my fla license since i'm living in europe.. have to send it to florida with all the info, but..
does anyone know if there's a way to make sure they receive it ?

I'm imagining the worst.. if i send the license so they take me off all jury lists - but they don't get it - or they get it but ignore it ? ok, it's a nightmare scenario !
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamare View Post
Hi again !
I'm getting ready to surrender my fla license since i'm living in europe.. have to send it to florida with all the info, but..
does anyone know if there's a way to make sure they receive it ?

I'm imagining the worst.. if i send the license so they take me off all jury lists - but they don't get it - or they get it but ignore it ? ok, it's a nightmare scenario !
If you send by FedEx you can track the document and have a record of its receipt.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #47
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks ! don't use fedex much around here, so didn't think of that, but it's a great idea
thanks again !
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #48

If you are still in Europe, DHL will do the same as Fed Exp. We found lots of UPS stores in Italy so you may them as a choice as well.
Nwsteve
Old 06-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I wonder about all this angst about missing jury duty because you live overseas.... what are they going to do about it if you miss

I do go to jury duty every time I get a summons, except the time I lived in London... when I contacted them, all I had to do was show that I was working in London and could not make any of their dates (in Houston, when you change it has to be the same day on a different week... I think they give you 6 weeks)....
b

Also, they say that over half of the people they summon do not show... and they do nothing about it.... at least here, unless they can prove that you got your summons, you did not break any law.... just putting it in the mail is not proof....
OK, this quote is comforting. I arrived back in the USA this week and had my mail forwarded from my mail service located in Houston to where I am currently staying in California. I had jury duty the following day, somehow I had missed this when I was checking my mail online.

I do have a Texas driver's license that I would rather not lose and that is why I am on the jury duty mailing list. I really don't even need a USA driver's license anymore, I can drive on my foreign driver's license (Philippines) in the USA. But, if I recall, some financial institutions require a driver's license number (or State ID number) to open accounts, maybe credit cards, also. I am not sure what else a USA driver's license is needed for in the USA for someone in my situation living abroad.