Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
with youtube videos walking you through the repairs, even a caveman can do it.
Man, don't you know that nowadays, many so-called engineers do not want to get their hands dirty. A caveman, now that's different.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I tend to be intimidated by big machines I have never messed with before. But the few times I have troubled to try to fix something I have had pretty good results. Especially with help from YouTube. Congrats Midpack.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So you've been sitting around for the past 19 years like the Maytag repairman waiting for your opportunity. Good job, it always pays to be self sufficient
Old 10-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That same coupling is $8 on ebay shipped free in 2 day priority mail! I know because I naively bought the coupling from the local appliance store and it was $25 plus tax.
Except I didn't do it naively...

I found a very similar but not OEM coupling online for $9.77 plus shipping & tax first. Then I thought, I wonder if I can find one locally? I paid $23 with tax and was able to finish laundry the same day. Avoiding $750+ on a new washer and having to shop and wait for delivery, made paying $23 to fix it immediately well worth it. Saving another $5-10 or so (Priority Mail isn't free) shopping online and waiting was trivial and not worth it to me. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I tend to be intimidated by big machines I have never messed with before. But the few times I have troubled to try to fix something I have had pretty good results. Especially with help from YouTube. Congrats Midpack.
Like I said, my first reaction was, it's 19 years old and we'll have to buy a new one. Being an ME may have helped, but I'd never worked on a washing machine, I assumed it was belt drive only to find it was direct.

I just hate to waste money, especially knowing new machines aren't as well built. I'm retired so I had time, and I thought I can't make it worse, might as well try - like a little adventure and a chance to learn something (I love to learn).

I've fixed many things around the house, and always get a lot of satisfaction when successful, and DW is always surprised impressed. The real value of my ME background is more knowing what I can and cannot do, and recognizing when I'm over my head and need to turn it over to a pro, or give up.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

I've fixed many things around the house, and always get a lot of satisfaction when successful, and DW is always surprised impressed.
It's rare I have success. But when I do, I use the opportunity to celebrate. Of course I do the same thing when I fail.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I think it is all about priorities.... and do you think that you can do the work and even enjoy it...

With my dishwasher problem, I had figured out it was the valve... so I would not be throwing away the machine... I also go to.... well, not RE..., so not a lot of extra time... my DW wanted it done yesterday.... so I spent the $180 for parts and labor and was happy...

The part itself cost $60... so I paid $120 for two trips and 2 hours of labor... I was happy with what I did...

Now, I did fix my old washer... it was just the belt.... and I did fix my old dishwasher which needed a new control panel at one time and a new spray arm another... but I was not married and had the luxury of being able to take my time...
Old 10-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Man, don't you know that nowadays, many so-called engineers do not want to get their hands dirty. A caveman, now that's different.
I'm of the "civil" type, so dirt is kind of a given. In fact, we build stuff with dirt.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Except I didn't do it naively...

I found a very similar but not OEM coupling online for $9.77 plus shipping & tax first. Then I thought, I wonder if I can find one locally? I paid $23 with tax and was able to finish laundry the same day. Avoiding $750+ on a new washer and having to shop and wait for delivery, made paying $23 to fix it immediately well worth it. Saving another $5-10 or so (Priority Mail isn't free) shopping online and waiting was trivial and not worth it to me. YMMV
I actually may not have received priority mail for free, but it got here from 800 miles away in 2 days. Out of curiosity, I just ebay searched for what I bought and it is $3.79. Maybe that is closer to what I paid, don't remember. Anyway, here's the part: Whirlpool Pump Coupler 285753 Washer Washing Machine Motor Coupling Coupler | eBay

Same as yours? Apparently these things were inadequately designed and the new replacement parts are much more sturdy and designed to handle the torsional loads placed on them. Maybe the OEM part is more, but I figured the cheapo off ebay was as good as is needed if it exactly what the local pro appliance shop sells.

Oh, and apologies if I suggested you naively bought the part! I was saying I naively went to the appliance repair store before I checked ebay. Visiting the appliance store and paying 2-3x the price if you need it now and not in a few days is definitely worth it versus paying 8-10x the price to maybe get the appliance repair guy to fix it correctly on the first try.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm of the "civil" type, so dirt is kind of a given. In fact, we build stuff with dirt.
I remember (good superior memory I have), but didn't you then want to or try to become a lawyer, or perhaps are one already?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I remember (good superior memory I have), but didn't you then want to or try to become a lawyer, or perhaps are one already?
Yep! Inactive member of the Bar, that is. Retired attorney. Getting mud on your hands and boots is way more fun.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love to see the enthusiasm here...

fixing and rebuilding is my non-paying job in my FL community... "Salvage 1", my golf cart is employed on Tuesdays and Fridays... the trash pick up days, early in the morning, before the trash truck arrive. Never kept count, but over the past 20 years, have probably recycled (saved-fixed-gave away) more than a thousand items that were headed for the landfill. Every toy, sporting good, lawn equipment, musical instrument, kitchen appliance, bike, washer, dryer, radio, TV, phone, computer, printer and piece of furniture... and anything else that is or could be useful, ends up on my workbench. Everything except refrigeration or air conditioning. I currently have about 20 items waiting for a new home...

Currently working on a chain saw, an ancient Pioneer sound set up, two weed wackers, and a remote control Hummer.

The last washer I repaired was a simple belt change, but required a full tear down... In putting it back together, somehow tied down the floating tub into the shipping position Turned it on to check it out, and all was fine, so with the thanks of my neighbor, left and went home... Five minutes later received a panic call... When the washer went into the spin cycle, it "walked" out of the laundry room and into the bedroom... all by itself.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep! Inactive member of the Bar, that is. Retired attorney. Getting mud on your hands and boots is way more fun.
Nothing against lawyers, nor engineers, or even cavemen, but I believe good engineers are closer to cavemen than to lawyers.