Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I get it! I get it!...No I don't
Old 06-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Lucky for him that he works for the government. I hope it is not my government. IMO, these retired-on-the-clock guys should be fired, all of them, the sooner the better.
OK, Mikey, I left my writing subject to over-interpretation. My bad.

My point is that he doesn't have his ego wrapped up in his office. He's a GS-12 supervising the execution of the govt contracts at a military training command, but that's not "who he is". He has a life with his family, he surfs, he coaches a lot of kid's sports, and he works efficiently instead of spending 50-hour weeks schmoozing with the staffs. He's not retired on the clock. He's also not going to night school for an advanced degree to boost his pay, maneuvering to take over more turf, politicking for a GS-13 position, or otherwise trying to achieve world dominance through the civil-service system. He just does his job. Every time I nominated him for an award he'd get all embarrassed on me and ask me to cut it out.

He's been doing his job for about 15 years and he essentially has it wired, but he's also one of those rare supervisors who's respected & liked by both sides of the contract. He works very hard at work to make sure that work doesn't interfere with life, and everyone else around him is very happy that he doesn't create more BS than he dispenses with...

If the civil service system wanted people to leave sooner, they wouldn't make it so hard to vest the pension & medical benefits. Kinda like having to stick around on active duty for 20 years just to vest... unintended consequences have to be expected.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nords,

I am in a crabby mood. so please discont my complaining. Anyway, you explained the situation well; not even I could complain about this guy!* *

Mikey

Old 06-21-2006, 01:45 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nords,

I am in a crabby mood. so please discont my complaining. Anyway, you explained the situation well; not even I could complain about this guy!* *

Mikey
Long time, no conjugal visits?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Long time, no conjugal visits?* *
Something tells me I may not be the only one suffering in this way. Didn't you say that your Sweet Lover Man was on a trip?* Anythow, like the man said somewhere above, we all want more.

And by the way, how about a G-string on that flower?

Mikey
Old 06-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Something tells me I may not be the only one suffering in this way. Didn't you say that your Sweet Lover Man was on a trip?* Anythow, like the man said somewhere above, we all want more.

And by the way, how about a G-string on that flower?

Mikey
Hey, I found him and dragged him back home.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting turn to this thread but still sticking with the title ( I get it , I don't )

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote