Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad I finally found your paper, BigNick. Before then I had no hope of lifetime happiness since my positivity ratio was only 2.8743
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #22

Bumping this thread to mention that someone took the time to write up the back story of how this came to pass. Note the scare quotes around the word "retired" near the end...
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BugNick, you are my hero! Down with BS!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I absolutely loved the article. And I love what you did and how you accomplished it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #25

Bravo, BigNick! Great write-up of the fab work you did.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well done.

Retired from IT at 52. Starting a new career debunking junk science.

Should you live to be 100, Lord willing, you'll never want for fertile ground.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Well done, sir! And well played!

I hadn't even heard of this positivity ratio before, but the thought that such a single psychological parameter governing success or failure exists, and is known to five places of precision, just sets off alarms to me. I can imagine how this must have bothered you.

Sticking to pursuit of this, well, BS, and managing to get Sokal in on it is both impressive and commendable.

So, YAAAAAY!
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #28

I got published again...
Old 08-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Job Nick! Congrats!!
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Nice!
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations Nick! While a media story is not peer reviewed, it is gratifying to see your work being cited in the public domain. It means it matters.

I spent a career in academia and never bought into the "publish or perish" philosophy. I only cared about meaningful research. Now that I am ER it's great to be away from the expectation to compete for and get grant funds and get studies presented and published.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed the article. Geez, happiness to four decimals debunked. Congrats.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm guessing you won't be getting a Holiday card from...Fredrickson?
I have determined that the probability of that happening are becoming less by the day, but I won't share my calculations.

Here's a lecture by Dr. Frederickson. She mentions the discredited research around 8:55

Congrats, Nick.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Here's a lecture by Dr. Frederickson. She mentions the discredited research around 8:55
Actually, I think she is describing there some more recent research, in which she combines the angle that we critiqued in the article published yesterday (which was more about the relationship between your general experience of well-being and gene expression), with another previous study in which she claimed to have demonstrated that certain forms of meditation improved your health in other ways. (Incidentally, this other previous study is also severely flawed, and we have a critique in preparation.)

As far as my co-authors and I have been able to tell from glimpses of graphs that have appeared on slide presentations, the statistical analyses in this new (as yet unpublished) study that I think she is discussing here are based on the same techniques that we have shown to be invalid. Hopefully, if that's the case and her lab submits this work for publication, it will be subjected to appropriate scrutiny by the reviewers.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
As far as my co-authors and I have been able to tell from glimpses of graphs that have appeared on slide presentations, the statistical analyses in this new (as yet unpublished) study that I think she is discussing here are based on the same techniques that we have shown to be invalid. Hopefully, if that's the case and her lab submits this work for publication, it will be subjected to appropriate scrutiny by the reviewers.
I thought her comments were telling:

Quote:
In a reply to Brown, Frederickson and coauthor Steven Cole of the University of California, Los Angeles, reject the criticism and say they have replicated their 2013 findings in a new sample of 122 people.
New sample, same flawed methodology? It follows that the same flawed conclusions will be generated, right? Am I missing something?

I'm a little embarrassed to hold a degree from Ms. Frederickson's institution of higher education!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
New sample, same flawed methodology? It follows that the same flawed conclusions will be generated, right? Am I missing something?
Well, if you think that the methodology is not flawed, then this would be OK. So actually, in itself, this doesn't constitute evidence either way.

However, there is a rather bigger problem. Tucked away in a corner of our supplementary information document (where you put the minor analyses that won't fit in the main article), we note that the original dataset contained a coding error. There are two ways to fix it. When you do, the original claimed effect drops by half. So, if you claim to have "reproduced" the original figure, in fact you have found an effect that is twice as big.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Nick, you might have heard of Dr. Ranjit K. Chandra, one of the most notorious fraudulent researcher in recent years. It was his research assistant who unmasked him in the end.

Dr. R.K. Chandra ::

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...ts-2001-paper/

Unfortunately there are unscrupulous people in every walk of life. I am not suggesting that is the case with Dr. Frederickson, but there is certainly a lack of scientific rigor (more common in the "soft" sciences, and likely an element of self deception. When years have been devoted to a line of research, the academic can become emotionally attached and can lose objectivity. Sometimes it takes a skeptic to reveal that the emperor has no clothes.