Join Early Retirement Today

"I Guess 2010 Is going to be a GOOD YEAR!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"I Guess 2010 Is going to be a GOOD YEAR!!!!!!!!!!"

Quote:
I Guess 2010 Is going to be a GOOD YEAR!!!!!!!!!!
In response to a poster's inappropriate (and apparently moderated) attempt to start a new thread, let me respond thusly:

After 2008 and 2009, just how high does the 2010 bar have to be for it to achieve "good year" status?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In response to a poster's inappropriate (and apparently moderated) attempt to start a new thread, let me respond thusly:

After 2008 and 2009, just how high does the 2010 bar have to be for it to achieve "good year" status?
Guess Ill semi quote myself from the last thread.

If Im breathing and make it through the year. Its a darn fine year.

I suppose for many of you thats a really low bar.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't care how high the bar is as long as I can still reach my beer....

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

2009 was wonderful - - I retired! But then, 2010 will be my first full year of retirement. Hmm. I think it already has had a very good start.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

2009 was the worst year of my adult life, so I figure it can only be better in 2010. I don't know how much worse it could be, and I don't even want to think about 2010 being a worse year.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking for 2010 to be a great year even though FD has dampened my hope !

Anybody in the market for a few LCD TV's ?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Income exceeds outgo = good year
Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Outgo (2009) had to be cut back below the year before = not good year.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I'm looking for 2010 to be a great year even though FD has dampened my hope !

Anybody in the market for a few LCD TV's ?
I was looking on youTube for a clip of the old SCTV intro...

I remember a time when I was lucky if my car would go, when my portfolio was the aluminum cans from last night's party, when unemployment was 10% (oops... )...

2009 was ok. I won't complain if 2010 is better.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #10

2009 was a good year! Both DW and I are breathing, kids and grand kids are well. Stocks went down, but we did not have to cash any in, and they also have gone back up some. In fact I hope 2010 is as least as good as 2009. As this is a FIRE board, we seem to concentrate on finance, but it is all the other things that really make it a great year, and those things could not me much better in 2010!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I don't care how high the bar is as long as I can still reach my beer....
I'm gonna make it easy on myself....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DS9666_th[1].jpg (6.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

As the old Sikh in the next bed to mine in the cardiac ward said when asked how he felt after his triple bypass, "Not so bad," though he looked like he had been run over by a truck.

For us, there was a long stretch of unemployment and a few medical problems in the family in 2009.

It could have been better.

BUT we all made it through. We're all still above ground and only set back about 4 years. So I can say, 2009 was "Not so bad," and I trust 2010 will be better than 2009. I second Notmuchlonger.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #13

Let's see.....

2008, lost money, my wife saw her shares and options in her employer (accumulated over several years) vaporise, I had a highly stressful exit from my previous job, expenses rocketed as our children started school, I had three separate sports injuries and we adopted a kitten which added to our expenses by shredding the sofa (all three scratching posts are in "as new" condition). Apart from the cat, it was a pretty bad year all round

2009, my best year ever for investments, my new job is working out great, the wife is much happier now that she is a SAHM, health was good in the immediate family and the cat is now shredding other furniture (the scratching posts remain "as new"). A brilliant year all round

2010 so long as my investments at least tread water, I will be on track to hit my retirement number at the end of 2011. So long as the family's health is good and I can sell the unused scratching posts to some other sucker, the bar does not have to be very high for 2010 to qualify as a good year. If the bar is set at 2009 levels, disappointment is a very real possibility
Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

LOL, Traineeinvestor, on the cat scratching index, the last few years have been very very good; replaced the cheap cat scratching boxes several times and the cat condo is shredded, tossed some cat material over it and it's good to go for 2010. Will continue to invest in kat grass seeds and catnip toys.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:44 AM   #15

Barring any unexpected health issues this should be a good year. The deferred compensation account is recovering, the job is all right, the extra savings is a better cushion and we're buying some toys we wouldn't have done without the second income. There are no huge expenditures on the immediate horizon, and things with family are stable for now.

DW is thrilled with a new computer and digital camera, we've discussed taking a photography course and ballroom dancing course. (I wanted square dancing but I guess I just ain't got no couth).

Basically all I'm doing now is marking time until spring.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Well, it would be a bummer if we have a double dip. But other than that, if the market bumps along at a moderate/low growth rate as predicted it will look good on the financial side. And here is hoping for a meager step forward improvement in the health insurance arena and in the war against Al Queda or whatever we call it now.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #17

FIRE savings on auto pilot, healthy, will finish grad school Jun 2010, professional options (mil leave of absence from civ job - heading back to active duty as a recruiter) exist, and personal life is wonderful and satisfying...I really have nothing to complain about! Expecting 2010 to be as good or better than 2009
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

2009 was a mixed bag for me . I got to enjoy(spoil) my grandson . My finances bounced back but I had some health issues that really put things in perspective about enjoying your life . Hopefully health is back on track and some great trips planned for 2010 and of course lots more spoiling of the grandson to be done.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

2009 was a great year for us financially (in terms of net worth accumulation at least). Income is down a bit though, but that will recover one way or another in the next year. I'm sure 2010 will be great too!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Brother died, cousin died, uncle died.

Chances are pretty good that 2010 will be better.