Join Early Retirement Today

I guess I'm no modern gentleman
Old 11-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Administrator

I guess I'm no modern gentleman

At least based on this list of desirable accessories. Gifts For Modern Gentlemen - Business Insider I have a well stocked (and well used) shoe shine box, a high quality shaving kit sounds nice, but not that one, and the other things on the list don't appeal to me. They didn't when I was working either. DW and the kids used to give me ties, which worked fine because they have good taste and I needed them.

Some of the items on that list (sprezzabox) make it seem like those "modern gentlemen" don't know how to dress properly, at least for work.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nice find, Michael. I think this year I'm going to ask DW to get me these:

Sierra Recycled Oak Whiskey Barrel Sunglasses - Smoke

As usual, she will probably follow through with a couple of new sweatshirts and whatever else I leave a note for on the kitchen counter.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A pair of gloves for $345? I don't think so.

Custom-made shirts are nice; I have 4 them (with French cuffs, yet) but rarely wear them now that I'm retired.

Business card case? In may last few years of working, I handed out and got a lot of business cards (and had a nice case for them), but never did much with them after that. There's always LinkedIn!

Fortunately I have minimal gift-buying to do. DH and I don't have a lot of "wants" and my extended family is all doing well and they get what they want when they want it. No need to add to their possessions with things they might not use.

Last year DH and I were having a conversation around Christmas about the set of cast iron skillets he'd bought from the guy who made them, that a former GF had taken with her when they broke up. (He said that apparently she believed that if she was with him when he bought something, she had a claim on it.) I found a great set of 4 cast-iron skillets (different sizes) on e-Bay, made in Erie, PA in the 1950s. DH had to grind off some rust and re-season them but now we use them all the time. Cornbread baked in a cast-iron skillet is delicious.

So maybe THAT's what to get the modern gentleman for Christmas!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I am going to kill two partridges in a pear tree with one stone: buy the flask ("First sign you might be an alcoholic: you start carrying a flask") and have it made into eyeglasses frames.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The only thing that appealed at all to me for the price was the running socks. I like a different brand but the price here wasn't totally out of line. Pretty much everything else was ridiculous. I do have 2 flasks, each in a gift set with liquor, and I'm pretty sure it was the same price as the bottle alone would've been not on sale.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

As usual, she will probably follow through with a couple of new sweatshirts and whatever else I leave a note for on the kitchen counter.

Well at least you will get what you ask for. My GF asks me what I want, and I told her a storm door. She refuses to buy it, saying I'm just wanting something that I can avoid paying money on that I was going to buy anyways...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Go find a guy that hauls to stave yards. They normally backhaul used barrels for maybe $20.00 (used to be 3). The used barrels have at least two quarts of product still in them. I'm sure you can find glasses way cheaper, and keep the 2 quarts for the holidays.:what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A modern gentleman needs three things:

Presence, Power and Warmth.

All are free. You just have to cultivate them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A good cologne, that you spritz once in the center of your chest after you shower, will set you right.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have noticed that gentlemen of any era (that I know of), and any years, really want to be well fed. So I usually cook something nice for them.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have noticed that gentlemen of any era (that I know of), and any years, really want to be well fed.....

Amethyst
Exactly!

There's nothing on the op list that appeals to me.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have noticed that gentlemen of any era (that I know of), and any years, really want to be well fed. So I usually cook something nice for them.

Amethyst
That's the only thing I really want - a good meal, a bottle of fine wine, and a charming dinner companion.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ditto here. Nothing on that list appealed to me.

Give me an outstanding steak dinner, with a nice bottle of cabernet. I have no need of fancy gloves or socks.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
At least based on this list of desirable accessories. Gifts For Modern Gentlemen - Business Insider I have a well stocked (and well used) shoe shine box, a high quality shaving kit sounds nice, but not that one, and the other things on the list don't appeal to me. They didn't when I was working either. DW and the kids used to give me ties, which worked fine because they have good taste and I needed them.

Some of the items on that list (sprezzabox) make it seem like those "modern gentlemen" don't know how to dress properly, at least for work.
I don't think most gentlemen these days would find any of this junk to be appealing, except for a couple of items such as (possibly) the portable bluetooth speaker. Most of the stuff listed is very impersonal and looks like future landfill contributions, to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Well at least you will get what you ask for. My GF asks me what I want, and I told her a storm door. She refuses to buy it, saying I'm just wanting something that I can avoid paying money on that I was going to buy anyways...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tell her you would like a $100 Visa Gift Card. Then go buy the storm door!

This year, like the last two or three, I am giving all the kids (extended and mine) and their offspring, Visa Gift Cards.....DW can do the packaged gift buying, which she enjoys doing so that there are boxes under the tree instead of just my stack of plain white envelopes.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What! No murse on the list!? Looks like shoppers with too much disposable income. I'm on the trail of a chair I spotted in a consignment shop - have to verify it is real, but real or reproduction it is very cool: Eames Aluminum Group Management Chair - Executive Chairs - Chairs - Herman Miller Official Store

My desk chair is getting pretty tattered and this is very cool looking and sits pretty well too. Being a huge fan of the sub-$30 garage sale desk chair and a confirmed cheapskate you gotta know I'm not looking at anything close to the price Herman Miller is looking for.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #17

Nothing on the list appealed to me either. Apparently I just ain't got no class. I like Amethyst's idea best.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This list has so much in common with the sort of thing that a young man with enough money might have had when I was young. Some are over the top, but others very reasonable. My lady friend lives in an upscale building . One say we encountered a middle aged guy that she knew in the elevator. His most salient feature was that he was extremely well got out- in particular I have never seen him without a very well tailored and fitted dress shirt. I took to calling him the "beshirted man". In distinction to me, who almost exclusively wears seconds of tee shirts made for US desert troops., and bought at the Army navy store on First Avenue $4.99 each.

I would never submit to wearing it, but many a woman would enjoy seeing her man in a very nice bespoke shirt and quality tie. Well, I wouldn't submit unless prodded by masculine competition for my Honey. In which case I think I would wear whatever in hell it took to stay in the hunt.

Ha
Old 11-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I liked the gloves...but not the price.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I would never submit to wearing it, but many a woman would enjoy seeing her man in a very nice bespoke shirt and quality tie. Well, I wouldn't submit unless prodded by masculine competition for my Honey. In which case I think I would wear whatever in hell it took to stay in the hunt.
That may be to late. I figure if my lady will take the time to fix herself up and look good, I owe her that same. Thankfully, for we men, the amount of time necessary to achieve the same proportional increase in looking better is much smaller than for the females.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote