Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
.........power chain saw.....
That's the one I forgot to put on my list.....I knew I missed something!

I bought it because......ummm......I ummm......needed it didn't have one! Actually I thought after ER I might attempt to do some chainsaw carving. It's a neat way to use an old tree stump or a big log.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
That's the one I forgot to put on my list.....I knew I missed something!

I bought it because......ummm......I ummm......needed it didn't have one! Actually I thought after ER I might attempt to do some chainsaw carving. It's a neat way to use an old tree stump or a big log.
My buddy tried chainsaw carving. After 24 stitches his wife made him give up that hobby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
My buddy tried chainsaw carving. After 24 stitches his wife made him give up that hobby.
Yep, accidents do happen. One of my Dad's best friends from his days in the USN, was out cutting a branch off one off his trees about 12-15 years ago, the chainsaw kicked backed and decapitated him. Ever since his sudden demise, I've been extremely (probably overly) cautious when I fire up my saw. That's also been one of the reasons I haven't gotten around to trying my hand at using it to carve up any stumps....yet.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a chain saw on a 10' long pole.

THAT makes the wife a little bit nervous.

Sam, if you find any of the clicklock style power heads in the 50-80cc range, let me know. I havent seen anything over 40 and the biggest one I've seen for sale right now is about 34.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

How about a John Deere with a PTO?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It would be nice if cities had quiet times. But not likely.
10 years old, but worth looking at: Realty Times - On The Right to Bear Leaf Blowers.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Sam, if you find any of the clicklock style power heads in the 50-80cc range, let me know. I havent seen anything over 40 and the biggest one I've seen for sale right now is about 34.
You are correct--I was working from my all-too-fallible memory regarding the size of the existing ones. My Ryobi 4 stroke is 26ccs (and works really well). BTW, the reviews of the blower attachments for these EZ-Click style tools are generally unfavorable.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Kickback with chainsaws is a lot less common these days (see this thread). In addition to changes in the chain and bar, all the modern saws have an "inertial brake" that automatically stops the chain if it detects that the saw is rotating back quickly.

From that thread:
Kickback...I was once demonstrating my ‘infamous’ chainsaw kickback technique...used to warn new woodsies on the dangers of chainsaws...had one of the newer (at that time), 13,000 rpm saws with a special sprocket to kick the chain speed up some more...Weeell, I revved it up a bit much, made a straight in plunge cut (attempt) and threw the saw up over my shoulder, OVER the fellows standing 10 behind and to the side...saw landed perhaps 35’ away...Truly a humbling experience in front of a bunch of Chicakos.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You are correct--I was working from my all-too-fallible memory regarding the size of the existing ones. My Ryobi 4 stroke is 26ccs (and works really well). BTW, the reviews of the blower attachments for these EZ-Click style tools are generally unfavorable.
The blower attachments DO stink. Really weak. But the rest of the attachments work pretty well. I have an edger, hedge cutter, string trimmer and tiller.

The tiller and hedge cutter work well with the 40cc head. They were a little iffy with the 31cc I used to have.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...power chain saw...
Oh, yeah, I forgot that on my list. It's a Stihl, bought in 1980. However, since I will not use it unless both feet are firmly on the ground I've been thinking of one of the ones with the saw chain on the pole for the branches too thick for the pruner on a pole.

The chain saw is the one that scares me the most. Maybe that's why I've never had so much as a close call with it.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I find my table saw slightly more intimidating than the chain saw.

Only thing I've ever had kick back on me was the reciprocating saw. That wakes you up.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'm very wary of my radial arm saw. It is fine for cross-cutting, but ripping with it is not very safe. I'm going to buy a table saw soon.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
The blower attachments DO stink. Really weak. But the rest of the attachments work pretty well. I have an edger, hedge cutter, string trimmer and tiller.

The tiller and hedge cutter work well with the 40cc head. They were a little iffy with the 31cc I used to have.
Any opinions n Ryobi electric?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Ryobi electric what? Blowers?

Havent used them. My old 32cc powerhead was a ryobi and that worked out for me from 1993 until last year when I gave it to a friend. Not super impressed with their rechargeable power tools. They're okay but for a little more you can get better.

I'd recommend this, which I have for leaf eating:

Amazon.com: Toro Ultra 12 Amp Electric Blower/Vacuum #51599: Home & Garden

One of the few blowers with a metal impeller (the thing that all the stuff hits when it gets sucked into the blower)...thats often the thing that breaks in a blower, unless you never use it to suck up leaves and shred them.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Any opinions n Ryobi electric?
I have a Ryobi re-chargable weed whacker. A fully charged new batterry last for about 30 minutes (+/-) of trimming. The battery lasts about 1.5 to 2 years before you have to lay out a chunk of change for a new battery......IIRC it was about $45-$50. I replaced the battery once, and decided it was serving Ryobi's desires better than mine, so it's sitting in the garage waiting for a garage sale or a dumpster....which ever arrives first.

I've also had several corded electric string trimmers. I wasn't too impressed with any of them.....they just didn't have the oomph to whack lush green grass. They always bogged down under any amount of load.....or they're cheesy plastic 'string' would continuously snap off and run out before I was anywhere close to finished with my trimming. I gave away a pile of those pieces of cr*p.

Thus, I now have my trusty 2-stroke Stihl FS 45 C-E Trimmer. Runs great, isn't that noisy, not overly heavy, and doesn't bog down under a (normal) load. No more re-chargables or electrics for me.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I gave up on the rechargeable electric lawn gear. Batteries are only good for a year or two and then the replacement costs almost as much as the original unit. Plus they're gutless.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I have a Ryobi re-chargable weed whacker. A fully charged new batterry last for about 30 minutes (+/-) of trimming. The battery lasts about 1.5 to 2 years before you have to lay out a chunk of change for a new battery......IIRC it was about $45-$50. I replaced the battery once, and decided it was serving Ryobi's desires better than mine, so it's sitting in the garage waiting for a garage sale or a dumpster....which ever arrives first.

I've also had several corded electric string trimmers. I wasn't too impressed with any of them.....they just didn't have the oomph to whack lush green grass. They always bogged down under any amount of load.....or they're cheesy plastic 'string' would continuously snap off and run out before I was anywhere close to finished with my trimming. I gave away a pile of those pieces of cr*p.

Thus, I now have my trusty 2-stroke Stihl FS 45 C-E Trimmer. Runs great, isn't that noisy, not overly heavy, and doesn't bog down under a (normal) load. No more re-chargables or electrics for me.
I'll take that Ryobi rechargeable off your hands anytime, Goonie. I LOVE mine which is a model 150r. Yeah, very underpowered, but perfectly fits my limited trimming skills and when the battery runs down, I'm done trimming no matter what! I've had mine probably 12 yrs and replaced the battery twice and the motor once. Battery was less than what you paid and motor was maybe 30 bucks. I also bought a nice Stihl homeowner model ( too lazy to check model #), but it has too much power for me, so it's only used for severe situations or to annoy neighbors.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I prefer the rechargeable electric gadgets, but as indicated, the cost to replace batteries can be prohibitive, so I have two ways to address that problem:

Sears has a nice rechargeable grass shear/ 10 in hedger combo that is very light duty. I buy the extended warranty and get a new unit when the battery runs down which is less than 2 yrs even though its only used 30 min per week or less.

I get replacement batteries from a no-name store in the neighborhood that sells ONLY reconditioned batteries and takes the worn out ones in exchange.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #39

i hate them too! i own a lawn care company and after firing up the echo trimmers 40 times/week x 26 weeks last year, they're starting to give me fits. pulll.....pulll....pulll....pulllll.....almost.... .pull...pullll...pullllll...allmost....pulll...pul lll...pulllll...scream1
$%$#@
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:57 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I love the sound of my mowers, saws, trimmers, and leaf blower, but I freak out when DW fires up the vacuum cleaner.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote