I hate Gasoline weed wackers!

Sam, if you find any of the clicklock style power heads in the 50-80cc range, let me know. I havent seen anything over 40 and the biggest one I've seen for sale right now is about 34.

You are correct--I was working from my all-too-fallible memory regarding the size of the existing ones. My Ryobi 4 stroke is 26ccs (and works really well). BTW, the reviews of the blower attachments for these EZ-Click style tools are generally unfavorable.

Kickback with chainsaws is a lot less common these days (see this thread). In addition to changes in the chain and bar, all the modern saws have an "inertial brake" that automatically stops the chain if it detects that the saw is rotating back quickly.

From that thread:

Kickback...I was once demonstrating my ‘infamous’ chainsaw kickback technique...used to warn new woodsies on the dangers of chainsaws...had one of the newer (at that time), 13,000 rpm saws with a special sprocket to kick the chain speed up some more...Weeell, I revved it up a bit much, made a straight in plunge cut (attempt) and threw the saw up over my shoulder, OVER the fellows standing 10 behind and to the side...saw landed perhaps 35’ away...Truly a humbling experience in front of a bunch of Chicakos.​

You are correct--I was working from my all-too-fallible memory regarding the size of the existing ones. My Ryobi 4 stroke is 26ccs (and works really well). BTW, the reviews of the blower attachments for these EZ-Click style tools are generally unfavorable.

The blower attachments DO stink. Really weak. But the rest of the attachments work pretty well. I have an edger, hedge cutter, string trimmer and tiller.

The tiller and hedge cutter work well with the 40cc head. They were a little iffy with the 31cc I used to have.

...power chain saw...

Oh, yeah, I forgot that on my list. It's a Stihl, bought in 1980. However, since I will not use it unless both feet are firmly on the ground I've been thinking of one of the ones with the saw chain on the pole for the branches too thick for the pruner on a pole.

The chain saw is the one that scares me the most. Maybe that's why I've never had so much as a close call with it.

I find my table saw slightly more intimidating than the chain saw.

Only thing I've ever had kick back on me was the reciprocating saw. That wakes you up.

I'm very wary of my radial arm saw. It is fine for cross-cutting, but ripping with it is not very safe. I'm going to buy a table saw soon.

The blower attachments DO stink. Really weak. But the rest of the attachments work pretty well. I have an edger, hedge cutter, string trimmer and tiller.

The tiller and hedge cutter work well with the 40cc head. They were a little iffy with the 31cc I used to have.

Any opinions n Ryobi electric?

Ryobi electric what? Blowers?

Havent used them. My old 32cc powerhead was a ryobi and that worked out for me from 1993 until last year when I gave it to a friend. Not super impressed with their rechargeable power tools. They're okay but for a little more you can get better.

I'd recommend this, which I have for leaf eating:

Amazon.com: Toro Ultra 12 Amp Electric Blower/Vacuum #51599: Home & Garden

One of the few blowers with a metal impeller (the thing that all the stuff hits when it gets sucked into the blower)...thats often the thing that breaks in a blower, unless you never use it to suck up leaves and shred them.

Any opinions n Ryobi electric?

I have a Ryobi re-chargable weed whacker. A fully charged new batterry last for about 30 minutes (+/-) of trimming. The battery lasts about 1.5 to 2 years before you have to lay out a chunk of change for a new battery......IIRC it was about $45-$50. I replaced the battery once, and decided it was serving Ryobi's desires better than mine, so it's sitting in the garage waiting for a garage sale or a dumpster....which ever arrives first.

I've also had several corded electric string trimmers. I wasn't too impressed with any of them.....they just didn't have the oomph to whack lush green grass. They always bogged down under any amount of load.....or they're cheesy plastic 'string' would continuously snap off and run out before I was anywhere close to finished with my trimming. I gave away a pile of those pieces of cr*p.

Thus, I now have my trusty 2-stroke Stihl FS 45 C-E Trimmer. Runs great, isn't that noisy, not overly heavy, and doesn't bog down under a (normal) load. No more re-chargables or electrics for me.

Yeah, I gave up on the rechargeable electric lawn gear. Batteries are only good for a year or two and then the replacement costs almost as much as the original unit. Plus they're gutless.

I have a Ryobi re-chargable weed whacker. A fully charged new batterry last for about 30 minutes (+/-) of trimming. The battery lasts about 1.5 to 2 years before you have to lay out a chunk of change for a new battery......IIRC it was about $45-$50. I replaced the battery once, and decided it was serving Ryobi's desires better than mine, so it's sitting in the garage waiting for a garage sale or a dumpster....which ever arrives first.

I've also had several corded electric string trimmers. I wasn't too impressed with any of them.....they just didn't have the oomph to whack lush green grass. They always bogged down under any amount of load.....or they're cheesy plastic 'string' would continuously snap off and run out before I was anywhere close to finished with my trimming. I gave away a pile of those pieces of cr*p.

Thus, I now have my trusty 2-stroke Stihl FS 45 C-E Trimmer. Runs great, isn't that noisy, not overly heavy, and doesn't bog down under a (normal) load. No more re-chargables or electrics for me.

I'll take that Ryobi rechargeable off your hands anytime, Goonie. I LOVE mine which is a model 150r. Yeah, very underpowered, but perfectly fits my limited trimming skills and when the battery runs down, I'm done trimming no matter what! I've had mine probably 12 yrs and replaced the battery twice and the motor once. Battery was less than what you paid and motor was maybe 30 bucks. I also bought a nice Stihl homeowner model ( too lazy to check model #), but it has too much power for me, so it's only used for severe situations or to annoy neighbors.

I prefer the rechargeable electric gadgets, but as indicated, the cost to replace batteries can be prohibitive, so I have two ways to address that problem:

Sears has a nice rechargeable grass shear/ 10 in hedger combo that is very light duty. I buy the extended warranty and get a new unit when the battery runs down which is less than 2 yrs even though its only used 30 min per week or less.

I get replacement batteries from a no-name store in the neighborhood that sells ONLY reconditioned batteries and takes the worn out ones in exchange.

i hate them too! i own a lawn care company and after firing up the echo trimmers 40 times/week x 26 weeks last year, they're starting to give me fits. pulll.....pulll....pulll....pulllll.....almost.....pull...pullll...pullllll...allmost....pulll...pullll...pulllll...scream1
$%$#@

I love the sound of my mowers, saws, trimmers, and leaf blower, but I freak out when DW fires up the vacuum cleaner.

The chain saw is the one that scares me the most. Maybe that's why I've never had so much as a close call with it.

Borrowed FIL's Stihl chain saw from MIL to take out a medium sized tree that had died. The saw has a 52 page manual that is 50 pages of warnings and 2 pages of how to operate the saw. After thoroughly reading the manual I drained the fuel from the saw and returned it to "storage" condition and went to Home Depot and bought a $10 bow saw. That worked fine.

The saw has a 52 page manual that is 50 pages of warnings and 2 pages of how to operate the saw.

I was just remarking the other day that product instructions are now almost completely useless due to this phenomena.

Almost everything I've bought lately had a thick instruction book of warnings and legalese, with one page of 'instructions' showing everything in tiny little pictures with "YES!" and "NO!" or a circle with a slash over it. Its generally taken me 20 minutes with a magnifying glass to try to divine what the directions to something are.

You get the same treatment with OTC medications. A big label with a million warnings in 2 point type, and somewhere in there some vague instructions on dosage.

I was just remarking the other day that product instructions are now almost completely useless due to this phenomena.

Almost everything I've bought lately had a thick instruction book of warnings and legalese, with one page of 'instructions' showing everything in tiny little pictures with "YES!" and "NO!" or a circle with a slash over it. Its generally taken me 20 minutes with a magnifying glass to try to divine what the directions to something are.

You get the same treatment with OTC medications. A big label with a million warnings in 2 point type, and somewhere in there some vague instructions on dosage.

My theory is that the product maker can be sued for giving directions on use in a way that could be misconstrued, so it's less expensive to give out no instructions and just say "use safely, if you aren't sure about how to use this saw contact a professional".

My theory is that the product maker can be sued for giving directions on use in a way that could be misconstrued, so it's less expensive to give out no instructions and just say "use safely, if you aren't sure about how to use this saw contact a professional".
Sounds very plausible.

It is 79 degrees outside a beautiful day and my neighbor across the street is having sex with the darn machine for the past 30 minutes!!

Turn the efin thing off, I am watching this moron and still cannot figure how much more the idiot wants to cut!!

Efin noise!

I mean he also has the protective glasses on, heavy workboots . long sleeves and overalls on!!

Oh his yard is .08 of an acre!!! Those real small lots!

$hit I thought the dude was done, he just got out the damn LEAF BLOWER that is louder than the other gasoline machine. I bet he cuts the grass next!

I will not go inside!!!! Get an efin BROOM!!!

Calm down man. Would you rather he not take care of the yard and make the neighborhood looks like a dump?

Back
Top Bottom