Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I hate to say thie but america needs a military draft .
Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Add one liberal to the pro-draft side of the ledger.

I've been opposed to this war from 9/11 onwards. (I count my opposition from that moment because I KNEW Bush was going to bomb someone in retaliation the instant the second plane hit.)

Similarly, others were opposed to the Vietnam debacle for years before it ended. As far as I can tell, though, opposition to the Vietnam war grew as more and more families and communities felt its effects personally, through the loss of their loved ones or through their potential loss via the threat of the draft.

This has been a war without cost for the vast majority of Americans. We've been asked to sacrifice exactly nothing to support it. Results of this mid-term election suggest that people are starting to get it. It's time they understood the real price that real people have to pay for this little adventure, and there's nothing like the draft to bring that home.

I agree with those who don't want their loved put at risk. (I've got two draft-eligible nephews now, and several others will arrived at draft age in the next few years.) But I include in that feeling those who volunteered to "protect and defend" this country. I don't see why those who have been most willing to serve their country should shoulder the burden of this fiasco alone. Being willing is not the same as being expendable over and above ones fellow citizens.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
We've been asked to sacrifice exactly nothing to support it.
$250B is nothing?

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Are you ready to sit in colder homes, sit on gasoline lines?
Yup. I'm quite ready to do just that before sending others to kill and die for oil.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
$250B is nothing?
Think of what that could have been spent for here in the states.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1 - wow! Were you drafted?

I remember walking around the dorms that day, and hearing people yelling things like:

"F***ing 2!"
Old 11-13-2006, 05:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
$250B is nothing?
Its nothing when you simply heap it onto the existing national debt and leave it to someone else to pay - your kids and grandkids.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't give birth to my son, 18 this December, to become cannon fodder so that the US economy can stay ahead of China or so that idiots can drive SUVs. I don't want my kid turned into a murderer for the state. I feel that way for your kids and for the kids of people I don't even know. I feel that way for Iraqi and Iranian kids. I don't give a sh*t about their religion or their oil. I felt that way before the war, which I opposed from the beginning.

The war on terrorism is bullsh*t. After we "win the war" in Iraq, are we going to get drawn into a conflict with Iran? Syria? Do we fight with our pals the Pakistanis, who are harbouring Osama? Do we get into it with the Saudis, who provided most of the 9-11 terrorists? By the time we've finished with the "islamofascists", we will have destroyed our own economy and annihilated the flower of our youth, China will easily be able to take over the world domination game without exerting itself unduly.

Part of our problem is all of the frickin' old men running our gov't who worry obsessively about being able to "keep it up" and "finish the job". Do we really have to go out and piss in every corner of the world to maintain our dominance?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I think in about 50 years the middle east is projected to run out of oil, and then we can all leave the region. I am wondering whether even after that happens, they will still produce terrorists that come after us.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
I didn't give birth to my son, 18 this December, to become cannon fodder so that the US economy can stay ahead of China or so that idiots can drive SUVs. I don't want my kid turned into a murderer for the state. I feel that way for your kids and for the kids of people I don't even know. I feel that way for Iraqi and Iranian kids. I don't give a sh*t about their religion or their oil. I felt that way before the war, which I opposed from the beginning.

The war on terrorism is bullsh*t. After we "win the war" in Iraq, are we going to get drawn into a conflict with Iran? Syria? Do we fight with our pals the Pakistanis, who are harbouring Osama? Do we get into it with the Saudis, who provided most of the 9-11 terrorists? By the time we've finished with the "islamofascists", we will have destroyed our own economy and annihilated the flower of our youth, China will easily be able to take over the world domination game without exerting itself unduly.

Part of our problem is all of the frickin' old men running our gov't who worry obsessively about being able to "keep it up" and "finish the job". Do we really have to go out and piss in every corner of the world to maintain our dominance?
Right on, Sistah!! I feel the same way.

When I see the Islamofascists coming up my driveway, that will be soon enough to take up arms against them.

Meantime, let my sons enjoy life and produce some kids of their own. It is an idiotic idea that a draft will stop wars. Never did before that I can see.

How about WW1, one of the most stupid and blood and treasure wasteful wars of all times? Couldn’t have happened without conscription. While home populations might care about draftees, generals care more about their professional army, which will be with them long after the war is over

None of the major WW1 combatants ever again reached their pre-war level of military or economic or lifestyle excellence.

Ha
Old 11-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha, my dad used to say as long as the Commies stayed off his lawn, he didn't care what they did
Old 11-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
1 - wow! Were you drafted?
Yes...and no. It's like this:

Actually I wasn't a 1, I never made it that far. I got drafted in 1969, five months before the lottery began, just as I was graduating from college. Although I got a draft notice, as I said in an earlier post I was accepted into the Air Force version of OCS on the Friday afternoon before I was to report for induction on Monday. The friendly AF recruiter failed to notify the Selective Service office of my enlistment, and when I didn't show up that Monday morning, they notified the county sheriff who paid me a visit. Lucky for me Barney Fife knew how to read my enlistment papers.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

No draft in '72...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:09 AM   #53

It's interesting the main people who seem to keep saying there's going/needs to be a draft are those toward the left, not the side who are actually fighting the war.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
It's interesting the main people who seem to keep saying there's going/needs to be a draft are those toward the left, not the side who are actually fighting the war.
I think it would be dumb to reinstate the draft but I have to question your conclusion about who is fighting the war. Do you so radically project your own views into the world around you that you actually believe that all of the soldiers fighting this war are right wingers? Think again.

You would be correct if you had finished with "..not the side who are actually sending our young men and women to fight the war."
Old 11-14-2006, 09:29 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
You would be correct if you had finished with "..not the side who are actually sending our young men and women to fight the war."
Both sides are sending them.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I think it would be dumb to reinstate the draft but I have to question your conclusion about who is fighting the war. Do you so radically project your own views into the world around you that you actually believe that all of the soldiers fighting this war are right wingers? Think again.

It seems the mantra of the left is this is the right's war. I'm also talking about the leadership not the rank and file.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

IMHO its much better to have a volunteer military rather than a draft. I have read that the quality of todays military is as high as its ever been. It's much better to have motivated troops who want to serve their country compared to those who are serving against their will.

That being said I'm not sure I would have joined the Navy without the threat of being drafted in the Army. My three years of active duty were a good experience for me even though I was injured and ended up with a medical discharge. To date I have had five surgeries on my injured shoulder and suffer chronic pain but I'm glad I served.

Again just my two yuan.

2soon
Old 11-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
When I see the Islamofascists coming up my driveway, that will be soon enough to take up arms against them.
Have you forgotten 9/11 already?

Quote:
None of the major WW1 combatants ever again reached their pre-war level of military or economic or lifestyle excellence.
France, England, Germany?

Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
Ha, my dad used to say as long as the Commies stayed off his lawn, he didn't care what they did
Do you understand what nuclear weapons do? You will not have a lawn (or a city for that matter).

Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Right on, Sistah!! I feel the same way.

By then it's too late.