Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
Then there's the people too lazy to get out and ring the doorbell or knock on the door. It's easier to sit in the car and honk the horn. I have one of those down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
We have an idiot that comes to pick up a kid across the street about 7 in the morning. They will honk 3 or 4 times in a 2 minute period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
The added wrinkle around here is that you can extend the distance of the doorbell by stopping in the middle of the street and blocking traffic while you ring your horn and wait for your passenger.
Am I the only person who owns a pellet rifle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I can drive for a week and not hear [a horn]
This might be an indication you're not using the entire road effectively. When you see a tiny gap in front of anyone, instantly zip into it.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbkmaine View Post
I was working in Minneapolis when a colleague from the NYC office flew in. Being a Brooklyn girl, the first thing she tested on the rental car was the horn. Not working. On reporting this to the rental agent, his reply was: "Do you really think you'll need it?"
Only need a horn there if you plan to cross a bridge.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A question for you horn users: Two streets intersect at 90 degrees. Both streets have lanes with traffic going both directions. There are two left turn lanes on street A for cars turning onto street B which has 3 lanes. Call the car in the inner left turn lane(closer to middle of road) Car 1 and the car next to him in the "outer" left turn lane Car 2. Call the 3 lanes on street B:
1,2, and 3 with lane 3 closest to the edge of the road.

Both cars aim for lane 2 on street B. Who has the right to use the horn to tell the other dummy he is wrong? There are no markings on the street and perhaps this is state dependent. the xxxxxx mean
nothing......was just trying to get the picture to come out better............

street B 3

xxxxxxxxxxxx 1 2
xxxxxxxxxxxxx street A
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:44 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

^

Forget the horn...I'm more concerned about who'd take the time to document all the above.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
... the xxxxxx mean

street B 3

xxxxxxxxxxxx 1 2
xxxxxxxxxxxxx street A
Put the 'diagram' into the CODE tags ( # icon above) - that allows for spaces to be inserted to adjust things.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #66

Quote:
A question for you horn users: Two streets intersect at 90 degrees. Both streets have lanes with traffic going both directions. There are two left turn lanes on street A for cars turning onto street B which has 3 lanes. Call the car in the inner left turn lane(closer to middle of road) Car 1 and the car next to him in the "outer" left turn lane Car 2. Call the 3 lanes on street B:

Both cars aim for lane 2 on street B. Who has the right to use the horn to tell the other dummy he is wrong? There are no markings on the street and perhaps this is state dependent. the xxxxxx mean

street B 3

xxxxxxxxxxxx 1 2
xxxxxxxxxxxxx street A
2 questions:

1) Are there dashed lines from the turning lanes to the perpendicular street? Some areas have these, so you clearly see which lane you are "supposed" to end up into.
2) Is one of the 3 lanes on the perpendicular street a turning lane? Usually, a turning lane does not get dumped into a "must turn right/left" lane....so out of the 3 new lanes, if 1 of them is a "must turn" lane, I would assume you are not forced into that lane.

However, if there are no dashed lines, I would simply drive slowly and cautiously and likely favor one of the outside lanes since it's not clear which lane I'm "supposed" to be in.

In a situation like that, I would NOT use my horn, unless there are dashed lines and it's clearly obvious which lane each turning car is supposed to be in.

I don't abuse my car horn - but do make use of it to communicate to other drivers (and why does it seem like a majority of the time when someone is sitting at a green light, it's the 3th or 4th or 5th car that has to honk to get the line moving? It seems a majority of the time the 2nd or 3rd car never honks).
Old 06-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

street B 3

xxxxxxxxxxxx 1 2
xxxxxxxxxxxxx street A

If a train leaves the station at 4:20 and travels 35 mph for 20 minutes....and another train is coming the other way at 42mph.....
Old 06-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

I love the sound of my German car horn.

I especially like it when I lock the car with the remote and it beeps. That way I know the car received the signal to lock the doors and set the alarm.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

What thread isn't improved by pictures?

cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
We have an idiot that comes to pick up a kid across the street about 7 in the morning. They will honk 3 or 4 times in a 2 minute period. I'd really like to go outside and throw eggs at their car.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Back in 1990s, a lazy-assed school bus driver (one of those minibuses), would honk his horn a few times at 6:45 AM to pick up some kid from the church across the street from me. One morning, I managed to stagger to the window and saw the name of the bus company so when I got to work a few hours later, I was able to call the bus company and tell them the time and location of the bus (not sure if I got the bus number) so they could tell the lazy-assed driver to stop waking up the neighborhood. It worked.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Here's a little story about how car horns were inadequate to resolve a traffic problem involving cars unable to move.

I was at a 3-way intersection, kinda like a T-intersection which had 3 traffic light sequences enabling left turns for each road to get through the intersection unimpeded via green arrows or equivalent. I was the third car in the left-turn lane but I noticed that the first car seemed to have pulled up a little extra short of the stop line.

The left-turn lane had an underground sensor which triggered its receiving a green arrow but because that lead car was nearly one car length short of the nearly gone stop line, we were being "skipped" from the 3-sequence rotation. From prior times going through this intersection, I knew there was a small strip of tar from a previous road repair which looked a little like a stop line, especially with the actual stop line partially erased.

Anyway, because we hadn't gotten a green arrow in a few minutes, and seeing the other two roads get their green lights, traffic was backing up in our turn lane and I heard other cars behind me honking. The driver of that first car was doing nothing, seeming clueless as to why she was never getting a green arrow. I had to take action. I got out of my car, walked passed the second car (behind the obstructing car) and continued to the lead car. I knocked on her window and pointed forward. She opened her window and I told her she had to move up a little bit to trigger the sensor so we could get our green arrow. She did that right away. Almost immediately, the other crossing traffic was stopped by red lights and I barely got back into my car for our long-awaited green arrow or else I would be responsible for delaying traffic.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
......... I got out of my car, walked passed the second car (behind the obstructing car) and continued to the lead car. I knocked on her window and pointed forward.....
Geeze, in Michigan you could get shot for this.

Jury convicts motorist of Murder 2 in road rage shooting
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I rarely use my horn, just for when folks are going to hit my car by drifting into my lane on the freeway, or to tell a VERY pretty girl she is VERY hot.

I know its appreciated, as sometimes folks honk at me to show they think I'm super CUTE
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
2 questions:

1) Are there dashed lines from the turning lanes to the perpendicular street? Some areas have these, so you clearly see which lane you are "supposed" to end up into.
2) Is one of the 3 lanes on the perpendicular street a turning lane? Usually, a turning lane does not get dumped into a "must turn right/left" lane....so out of the 3 new lanes, if 1 of them is a "must turn" lane, I would assume you are not forced into that lane.

.................................................. ...................
MooreBonds........thanks for your helpful comments.
1) I thought I had described this but in retrospect see that I could done a better job..............should have said no markings "in the intersection" (actually said
"on the street"...............and yes those lines would be very helpful.
2) Actually, the #3 lane must get on the freeway but you don't know that for a
quarter mile or more so I'm not sure that counts.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Put the 'diagram' into the CODE tags ( # icon above) - that allows for spaces to be inserted to adjust things.

-ERD50
ERD50.........thanks for the tip.....sounds like that was what I needed.
Problem is I'm not sure how to do that..............somebody at work once told me you can't idiot-proof everything because there are too many of us .

If you can stand it........can you explain where that #icon is and what the CODE tags are.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

OK, to demonstrate, I first entered a string of numbers "0123456789", the next line has spaces from 0-8, the next spaces from 0-7, etc.

In the composing box they look like a pyramid, but when posted, all the spaces are ignored, messing up the intended layout. Padding it with other characters like x's doesn't help much as these are proportional fonts, and have different widths.

If I type that same text into a code tag (just like the 'quote' tags - just click the "#" icon above,) and it will come up with the tags [-code-] [/-code-] - add the text you want to maintain the spaces with between those tags (I added the "-" in those tags so they wouldn't actually do anything).

Code:

It helps to first write the text in a word processor using a mono-spaced font, then you can see what you are doing. Copy/paste into the code tags.

Here's with x's, but no code tags:

xxxxxxxxx9
xxxxxxxx89
xxxxxxx789
xxxxxx6789
xxxxx56789
xxxx456789
xxx3456789
xx23456789
x123456789

-ERD50
Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Wow - I'd certainly want to know how the horn works, and get used to using it. It would be a shame if someone backed into that beautiful car and smashed it up, if it could have been avoided by alerting them by honking the horn. Maybe even more important in an EV, as they are quiet and maybe not as noticed.

-ERD50
But tooting the horn would use more battery power, creating a need for additional coal-powered generators...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I rarely use my horn, just for when folks are going to hit my car by drifting into my lane on the freeway, or to tell a VERY pretty girl she is VERY hot.

I know its appreciated, as sometimes folks honk at me to show they think I'm super CUTE
Yeah, that's why those people are honking at me!

DH relied on rigorous honking to stop a semi from backing into us a few years ago. He should have spent those seconds getting our car out of the way of the semi. Honk... Honk... Crunch!
Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But tooting the horn would use more battery power, creating a need for additional coal-powered generators...
But Musk already thought of this! All Teslas come with a microphone array that captures sound energy from the horn. It is like regenerative braking for your horn!

Even better, it captures energy from other people's horns, and their noisy piston engines! The more other people honk, the farther you can go on a charge.

-ERD50
Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post
I hate using my horn
Easily solved, just don't.