Join Early Retirement Today

I hate using my car horn
Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate using my car horn

Today, I was in the car wash line... inching along with all the others. I was behind an older guy in a pickup truck. The driveway curves around at the entrance to the actual washing facility. There was plenty of room between me and the pickup in front (I'd say a good 20') . All of a sudden, the guy pops it into reverse and lurches backwards rather quickly - a very unexpected move in a car wash line! He was reversing so fast, it caught me off guard and I didn't know if he saw me. I honked to alert him that I was there while he continued to jet in reverse. His truck went completely across the front of my car, narrowly missing my bumper. He hit the curb on the curve with his right rear wheel and finally stopped.

He immediately rolled down his window and aggressively yelled out at me, "Hey, you got a problem?". I put my open hands up and replied "No problem... I was worried you didn't see me". He responded, "I saw ya" and that was the end of it.

My intent was to use the horn as an alert.... not a $#%@ you. People are too quick to jump into a road rage. I hate using my car horn!
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Humans are just wild animals with larger brains...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

At least he missed you. I was front-ended by a reverse driver at a stop light. I was laying on the horn. He never saw me or heard me and crashed into me.

Apparently he was backing to change lanes to make a right instead of going straight. More focused on that than the traffic behind him, and the horns. Amazing he didn't hear it.

Luckily, he was honest and admitted it all to the policeman. I really feared I was in some sort of "rear end scam" situation. But no, honest mistake with an honest man. Too bad the horn was useless to him.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_is_Good View Post

My intent was to use the horn as an alert.... not a $#%@ you. People are too quick to jump into a road rage. I hate using my car horn!
I totally get that and try to use my horn as little as possible for the same reason. Even when only to warn some folks take it as a personal insult.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Humans are just wild animals with larger brains...
Sometimes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You're not from Massachusetts are you?!

'round here, if you don't use your horn, you'll be stuck in three traffic light cycles while the moron at the front of the line leisurely reads and answers his texts.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

if you use them sparingly (like I do) then you'll want to get these for safety reasons

Amazon.com: Hella SuperTone Horn Kit, 118 db: Automotive

I run Hellas in all my vehicles
Old 06-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm,
I don't remember last time I used my car horn. Maybe 4 years ago? We should start a poll
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today, I was in the car wash line... inching along with all the others. I was behind an older guy in a pickup truck. The driveway curves around at the entrance to the actual washing facility. There was plenty of room between me and the pickup in front (I'd say a good 20') . All of a sudden, the guy pops it into reverse and lurches backwards rather quickly - a very unexpected move in a car wash line! He was reversing so fast, it caught me off guard and I didn't know if he saw me. I honked to alert him that I was there while he continued to jet in reverse. His truck went completely across the front of my car, narrowly missing my bumper. He hit the curb on the curve with his right rear wheel and finally stopped.

He immediately rolled down his window and aggressively yelled out at me, "Hey, you got a problem?". I put my open hands up and replied "No problem... I was worried you didn't see me". He responded, "I saw ya" and that was the end of it.

You should have shot him. His brain is likely getting soft; he needs culling.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Hmm,
I don't remember last time I used my car horn. Maybe 4 years ago?
Seriously, I have to use my horn 3 or 4 times per hour every day just to wake up the person texting when the stop light turns green .

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-12-2015, 02:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I dislike horns. Always figure the user of the horn could be focusing on doing something more productive; like driving.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #12

I'm glad to see that most here don't use their horns. I don't know if most would agree, but I find those who blast the horn are the ones causing the initial problem.

Or to be more blunt, most horn blowers are rude idiots.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
I'm glad to see that most here don't use their horns. I don't know if most would agree, but I find those who blast the horn are the ones causing the initial problem.

lots of horn blowers in Houston, very few in paradise

it took months before I ever heard a horn here
Old 06-12-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I don't use the horn often but had to the other day.

Some driver in a Cadillac didn't see me in his blind spot and was tempted to cut in my lane.

No harm, no foul.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
You're not from Massachusetts are you?!

'round here, if you don't use your horn, you'll be stuck in three traffic light cycles while the moron at the front of the line leisurely reads and answers his texts.
Not just Mass. I think the horn is a public service to let folks know when they are behaving badly. Today sat through a green arrow because lady was reading her texts.........she got a toot.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post

That's a pretty broad brush (OK, you did say 'most').

I will definitely use my horn as a warning. As others have said, I've had someone start to back up, not aware I'm behind them it seems, and me getting on the horn probably avoided a trip to the repair shop and a lot of hassle and $$$.

I've found that people who are too reluctant to use the horn don't even know how. That sounds silly, but some cars have horns that have to be hit in a certain area to get them to sound, not so great in an emergency. My Mother had that happen, she described some guy backing into her, and I asked if she got on the horn, and she said at first no, then said she tried but missed 'the spot'.

I'e been with DW when I screamed "WATCH OUT FOR THAT GUY!!! BLOW THE HORN!!!" and she just fumbles because she never uses it.

It's a tool, and like any tool it can be used or misused. I'm pretty sure blowing your horn when traffic is backed up further than you can see isn't going to help!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I always smile when I remember the incident when a friend of mine in NYC blew his horn at the car stopped in the front of him when the traffic lights turned green. A traffic police officer walked up to him and wrote him a $40 ticket for "blowing horn without danger"
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Sometimes.
+1

I rarely use my horn but on the few occasions I have, the person I was blowing my horn at must have thought I was right since they often indicate to me that they think I'm number one. Although I'm not real good at reading sign language.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickt View Post
I always smile when I remember the incident when a friend of mine in NYC blew his horn at the car stopped in the front of him when the traffic lights turned green. A traffic police officer walked up to him and wrote him a $40 ticket for "blowing horn without danger"
Really in NYC? When I am there all I hear are the horns.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't always use my horn but when I do, I do it while drinking Dos Equis. Well, not really. The streets of LA are populated with many tiny brained people. Sometimes they don't wake from the cell phone coma on their own.

On a related note, I frequently use the bell on my mountain bike as the same phone zombies hike the trails while staring at their screens in total ignorant bliss.