Join Early Retirement Today

I hope this is a joke...
Old 04-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hope this is a joke...

"In order to comply with EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) regulations, and at a cost of about $5.2 million per ICBM, the rocket motors on 500 Minuteman III missiles will be replaced with new ones. These rockets will emit less toxic chemicals when used. [...] Thus, if the Minuteman III ICBMs have to be used in some future nuclear war, their rocket motors will not pollute the atmosphere."

I hope theres a plan to reduce polution from the warheads...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I hope this is a joke...
Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

So we can nuke bad guys and avoid environmental lawsuits from good guys I like to watch JAG on tv - but This is a joke -right?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Apparently the standing EPA rule requires the solid fuel propellant used in the main stage of the minuteman (and any other rocket) to be replaced. That it happens to be pushing a set of 3 warheads in this case is merely the irony.

Also, the new fuel is heavier than the old, reducing the missiles range, so the current 3 warheads will be replaced by a single, smaller, lighter warhead. No news on what we're going to do with 1500 nukes.

I'm betting all in all that 1500 nukes buried somewhere, plus the net result of 500 detonations would most likely render a little carbon monoxide emissions a little irrelevant though...

The good news is that the whole shebang is bargain priced at a little over $2.5B.

Some good spin on this would be appropriate...let the terrorist nations know that we're willing to spend the equivalent of their entire military budget on making sure our nukes blow cleaner air on the way to them.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

TH

If you talking solid propellant, we had an extensive go-round with the EPA/lawyers on Space Shuttle SRB's pushing thirty years ago. It got resolved - I chose not to remember how.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote