Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...and a few of their members have had multiple humorectomies.
How true! ...

As LOL! stated (and I agree), we're (at least I/DW are) blue collar, rather than blue blood, and feel much more comfortable here (sorry folks, I'm not going away, easily )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I think the basic methods they preach are pretty decent such as low cost funds/ETF's and reduced or no timing. Unfortunately things are taken too far and this results in people not getting to really hear about other investment methods. There is too much intolerance IMO. I'd like to see a section which allows more free form ideas but am not holding my breath on that one.
Sometimes it does feel that way -- if you're not indexing and you're not with Vanguard, then you're an idiot. An overgeneralization and perhaps a little too harsh I'll admit, but they're called "Bogleheads" for a reason. Informative place in many ways, but for me a hard one to "hang out in" by the water cooler since, well, they have no water cooler...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I REALLY miss Fund Alert and their analysis...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I deeply respect the Boglehead site, have been a not very active member since it started and when it was a Vanguard Diehards site at Morningstar. I have attended several local Boglehead get togethers and even organozed a couple of them. That being said, I much prefer this site as there is more to retirement/life than financial planning. This site has IMHO a better balance of humor and information and is moderated more to my liking.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I got help from several people after my SS do-over went awry with the incredibled bungling by SSA in getting out an accurate 1099.

It seems that almost everyone who had done this maneuver got screwed up 1099s, one after another. An intelligent and dedicated worker in my local SSA office helped me see it through, and eventually I got an accurate 1099. A number of Bogleheads were quite experienced about this. There were also one or two guys formerly on this forum that were experienced with a do-over and quite helpful.

Apart from this, I rarely go there and have likely posted fewer than 50 times. I just find it less fun.

Ha
Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #26

BH, love hate affair! I joined BH before ER but once I found ER I really cut back on BH visits to the point I seldom go there but once a month.

If you like to spend hours discussing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin they may well be your cup of tea. I swear there must be hundreds of threads started a day. They tend to be intolerant of views not 100% in sync with theirs as mentioned, they censor heavily which I detest, posts are pretty much limited to financial issues, oh there's a lot of reasons I don't like them, too many to go into. Lsbcal said many things I agree with and would have said. So for those reasons I don't spend much time there anymore, they drove me away with their heavy handed intolerance.

All that said, their philosophy is sound but a bit rigid like a 12 step program. I have gotten some good advice but also a lot of snarky replies. You just can't win there unless you drink the kool aid.

I like ER much more. The atmosphere here is much more relaxed and we can discuss all sorts of things more freely so censoring here is not as much of a problem.

Both sites are good and I monitor BH but since I check in about once every 3 or 4 weeks the volume of new posts is over whelming! I ignore 99% of the topics and just look at ones that sound interesting.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

As haha's experience demonstrates, BH's is a great place to get advice on your portfolio and investments, but once you have gotten that advice, you know it is probably not going to change.

So unless you want specific new advice, there is probably no reason to spend time there. I mean, the answer to "What funds should I use in my 401(k)?" is not going to change unless your 401(k) fund selection changes.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #28

I've found BH to be more investment focus with of course... Vanguard mindset/funds which works fine for me. Lots of good information, but I don't visit the site much after I determined my adjusted AA. YMMV with your investment approach
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #29

I just started here in mid-Feb and checked BH a couple weeks ago.

I knew I had found my tribe here when I read about reusing coffee filters/grounds.

I get info and a sense of community here. BH is a cacophony, TMI, stuff I already know .

Here I learn something new every day!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I came from there. I still go there once in a while when I need answers to specific investment/fund questions in a hurry, but some of the people there are almost abrasive...they seem stressed out. It's still a great place to visit though if you need help in rebalancing your asset allocation and such ( assuming you like the boglehead way of investing.)

Personally, I'd rather hang out here. It's more like an extended network of friends sharing information and learning from each other here.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

It's been a couple of years since I dropped in on them (before finding e-r.org), but I recall getting a different vibe there versus here. I chalked it up to the different focus - the people at Bogleheads are into accumulating wealth (nothing wrong with that) and many are not retired, while I have gotten the feeling here that members are more concerned with "life-type" issues. I suppose E-R.org could also stand for "Enjoy Retirement . org"?
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
but some of the people there are almost abrasive...they seem stressed out .
It used to not be like that years ago. It was more of a likable group. I noticed it too.

Oh well, birds of a feather flock together...Looks like we roosted here...
Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have noticed the VG bias also.

I left a couple of posts at Bogleheads a few months ago under a different screen name, but I "officially" joined today with the same username as the one I use here...

I have already seen a couple of threads there which are very similar to the ones we have here... I hope to learn as much there as I have learned here.
You are not biased if you know you are right.

I too am a Boglehead. Yes my eyes sometimes mist up when I think of the good old days: pssst - Wellesley, DRIP dividend stocks and the doughnuts/pastry at the old New Orleans chapter American Association of Individual Investors.

heh heh heh - VG Target Retirement(since 2006) with auto deduct to Prime MM for checking. Boring.

BUT the bad boy in me has a few stocks /mutual fund (VG Total World Stock), world real estate(VG also) to keep hormone outbreaks in check when it's not football season. I will admit my humor falls flat a the BH forum. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #34

sscritic knows his stuff........

(this is a friendlier place.....)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
...(snip)... I will admit my humor falls flat a the BH forum. .
Psst... I think many appreciate you here.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Appreciate... no LOVE it.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

One forum is tolerant, the other is intolerant.

One forum is progressive, the other is reactionary.

One forum censors dissent, the other has open-minded mods.

One thing about Buy and Hold is that once you get it, you really have no need to discuss it any longer. Buy. Hold. Rebalance. Repeat.

I prefer the Morningstar forums, as there are generally fewer posts. The interface is sub-par, but there are forums where you can discover and discuss subjects like tactical allocation without feeling as if you are in the Spanish Inquisition.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Great to see my fellow bogleheads here as well! I"m a member of both forums and I feel bogleheads is more finance and here is more "life". I like both and will continue to post in both. No need to pick and choose
Boglehead213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boglehead213 View Post
Great to see my fellow bogleheads here as well! I"m a member of both forums and I feel bogleheads is more finance and here is more "life". I like both and will continue to post in both. No need to pick and choose
I agree. Still it's fun to bitch.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #40

I have posted a couple of times only since I registered. So far so good
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Appreciate... no LOVE it.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote