Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
sscritic knows his stuff........
Agreed.

For those of you that don't know sscritic, h/she's the BH resident expert on all things related to Social Security and how it is applied in different situations...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #42
gone traveling

BH leaves me numb by their over analysis of minutia. No sense of humor from the extreme anal retentives, but no question lots of smart statisticians there. ERF has a much more holistic and easy going feel, just like comfort food
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
BH leaves me numb by their over analysis of minutia. No sense of humor from the extreme anal retentives, but no question lots of smart statisticians there. ERF has a much more holistic and easy going feel, just like comfort food
Comfort food without the calories
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #44
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Comfort food without the calories

LCHF
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And today I joined the Money Mustache forum :-) it looks quite good also. Wondering if many participants here are also on Money Mustache and what they think of that forum compared to this one.

I am keeping the same username there - too lazy to change it :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
For those who are members of both forums, what do you think are the main differences and similarities between the two ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I registered at BH a long time ago. I don't go there very often but I may in the future as I move stuff to VG. Seems very analytical and impersonal over there.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfox1 View Post
BH is more dogmatic and less open-minded in its views, yet informational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Bogleheads list it's membership as just shy of 30,000. With that many you'd think there would be a huge diversity of investing styles. But there is a sort of unwritten bias that tends to be enforced by some decent and unfortunately also some intolerant types.
I wouldn't describe bogleheads as being more dogmatic, rather I see them as being very analytical and they require *solid* evidence for claims. There's a gazillion references to research papers on that site. So if you were to go on there and say I have a new stock picking methodology or market timing method you will get trashed unless you have IRONCLAD evidence which almost no posters can produce unless they can do statistical research at the level of academic journals (In fact they have academics who are posters there). I think this is a good thing in general -- we should require evidence of claims and finance/investing is an area that is well developed enough that you have to do a careful study to conclude anything meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
some of the people there are almost abrasive...they seem stressed out.
The snarkiness level at bogleheads is a real turn-off. I think some people there live to shoot others down in the nastiest way possible without tripping the censors with obvious ad-hominem attacks.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #48

Many posters at BH seem to be anti-retirement or at least anti early retirement. I've been shocked to read opinions that people should continue to work for five more years when they clearly have more money then they need to retire. One guy had $5 million plus a future pension plus future SS payments and fairly low espenses.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen
Many posters at BH seem to be anti-retirement or at least anti early retirement. I've been shocked to read opinions that people should continue to work for five more years when they clearly have more money then they need to retire. One guy had $5 million plus a future pension plus future SS payments and fairly low espenses.
I read their forum often, but do not post. I occasionally read a comment from a poster in reference to this forum. Usually in a positive manner, but I laugh when several will over generalize that the ER Forum is full of "retired military and police/firemen with pensions". I always thought this forum to be fairly well diversified career wise.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a member of both forums. ER.org will always be my first love, but BH is quickly becomming a younger, very attractive mistress. I really enjoy debates between bogleheads in responding to a new posters situation. (SO LONG AS ITS DONE IN PROPER FORMAT!!!)

As an accumulator, I think the BH site is more useful to me personally. A lot of topics here regarding "what did you do in retirement today?" and "Only x more weeks until retirement" have their place here, but I cant relate, but only hope to attain one day.

There are some seriously super-intelligent people who post over there. Tons of analysis, charts and graphs, all posted immediately after an original post. Some of the information they post, I dont even know how they found, but the researcher skills over there are astounding.

You have to really buy into the BH philosophy to appreciate the site. But as someone previously mentioned, a true Boglehead wouldnt have much to say. Probably why Jack doesnt post much.

I will say though that the site could lighten up a lot! Everytime something starts to get interestingly off topic, the thread gets locked, citing some stupid bylaw.
Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

As a new member here and a long time BH I appreciate both. I turned here as it's more retirement phase based as opposed to accumulation phase. I agree BH has gotten too big and too time consuming to go through, you can't however beat them when you have a technical question that needs an answer. While I do see the bias towards Vanguard I have no trouble with it as I have the same bias, a wide range of cheap index funds is a good thing.
I would like to see the results from the ER's Legalizing Marijuana poll done on the BH forum, it would be interesting to see if there is much contrast. Alas it would need an investing or money twist to it to qualify.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I read their forum often, but do not post. I occasionally read a comment from a poster in reference to this forum. Usually in a positive manner, but I laugh when several will over generalize that the ER Forum is full of "retired military and police/firemen with pensions". I always thought this forum to be fairly well diversified career wise.
Don't forget us engineers and burned-out IT types.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
And today I joined the Money Mustache forum :-) it looks quite good also. Wondering if many participants here are also on Money Mustache and what they think of that forum compared to this one.
I am not a BH member, but will occassionally take a peek at their posts. Have not looked at Money Mustache. Trying to keep up with multiple forums is too much like work for me
Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

Helen,

I agree with you and I think some people find their life purpose in work, not an opinion that I share, nor others here at ER. I find that if that is what they want so be it.

I always remember a statement from a consulting engr from SC, "people up north live to work, where as the people of the south work to live"
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I am not a BH member, but will occassionally take a peek at their posts. Have not looked at Money Mustache. Trying to keep up with multiple forums is too much like work for me
I haen't looked at the forums, but money mustache the blogger has my BS Artist Meter jumping off the dashboard.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
You cannot even discuss a bond active fund like PTTRX. Lots of snide remarks about Bill Gross and by implication the poster who mentions PTTRX in positive fashion. It's a bit too much. Or if you had a position in Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index (I don't at the moment) and wanted to discuss it, you'd also probably get lots of ugly remarks.
PTTRX? Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund? That's nothing. Try asking them about convection ovens. Talk about ugly remarks!
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I haen't looked at the forums, but money mustache the blogger has my BS Artist Meter jumping off the dashboard.
Why does he have your BS meter going off? The guy has seemingly done nothing but be open an upfront with all that he does. He's even up here in Seattle tomorrow, but it doesn't make sense for me to try to meet up with him.

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
BH members are not unique in their views on (early) retirement, this place is...to each his/her own.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket View Post
Why does he have your BS meter going off? The guy has seemingly done nothing but be open an upfront with all that he does. He's even up here in Seattle tomorrow, but it doesn't make sense for me to try to meet up with him.
Uh, just off the top of my head:

- Its nice that dude quit his day job, but he is self-employed rather than retired. Good for him, but disingenuous.

- His wife apparently had a full time job for quite a while and finally quit maybe 6 months ago. Selective reporting on his part on the family income.

- Little details come out from time to time that are surprising and make the claim of being retired/whatever suspect.

- Sunshine does not fly out of everyone's butts all the time, the skies are not always clear, and bad things can and do happen with depressing regularity. Any hapless/foolish readers of his stuff would be lead into thinking that everything is always roses.

There is more, but I won't belabor the point. Its nice that he can spin such a lovely confectionary of a story and it makes for entertaining reading.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

MMM's forum average age is probably 20 years younger than here.. It's like the young dreamers section of these forums, but a whole forum like that.

It's inspiring if you're that age, probably a bit tiresome if you aren't.

The median savings rate over there is about 50% though, as many save more than that as save less, so it's a good group if you're looking for budget cutting tips and similar advice.

Whether or it your think MMM is retired or not based on your definition of retired, the message he writes about (less consumerism) is a great one. I think his blog is worth reading beginning to end for someone new to frugality. Many of the LBYM folks here may not get a lot out of it besides entertainment.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote