I Just Ate Something Weird

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just ate something totally weird: A hard-boiled egg.

What was weird about that? We bought the eggs pre-cooked and pre-peeled at Costco.

728780b.jpg

When I saw them, I thought of Leno saying "How fat and lazy are we getting in this country that we can't even wait to boil an egg?" I also thought they'd be expensive, but they are about the same price as regular eggs at the grocery store.

Bottom line: These things taste like any home-boiled egg, and they make a very convenient zero-carb snack. Open the pack, add some salt, eat.

We got our first Costco last year, and I still haven't been there. I need to go and explore! It isn't very close to my house, isn't in the greatest neighborhood either, and is probably completely jammed with humanity at all times, but still.

I love hard boiled eggs. :D

I'm interested but slightly creeped out by the thought. Were they slimy or smelly.. Or rather, if you took them away from the wrapper would I be able to distinguish them from a normal hard boiled egg?

I'm interested but slightly creeped out by the thought. Were they slimy or smelly.. Or rather, if you took them away from the wrapper would I be able to distinguish them from a normal hard boiled egg?

Creeps me out too. I hope it's just eggs boiled the normal way and not some weird processing with chemicals added.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It looks very convenient.

But I'd prefer to boil my own eggs. "When I pick those eggs out ... I don't want anyone touching the eggs after that. I don't want them rubbing them."

Sorry, I could not resist :LOL:

Here is some information about the company supplying T-Al's product: Hard Boiled Eggs | Wilcox Farms

Wilcox Farms Hard Boiled Eggs are available in stores today. Our Hard Boiled Eggs are Humane Farm Animal Care Certified and also free from hormones and antibiotics. Our cage free egg products are made using eggs from hens kept in an environment free of any type of cage system. This environment provides the hens with the room to engage in their natural behavior. This vigilance provides our customers with the peace of mind that comes from knowing their egg products come from happy, healthy hens.

Happy, healthy hens? I'm in.

DH likes to way overcook his hb eggs. Now those are nasty.

They're treated humanely right up until they're killed... :LOL:

Not any differently in how we live. Rich ER's may live a luxurious life filled with exciting travels, but still die bedridden wearing Depends.

The only thing that one can have before death is how one lives prior to his pitiful demise.

I just ate something totally weird:

We ate one of those Soylent Green "Tofurkys" last weekend. Well, at least one slice each.

No wonder it was on clearance.

Pro Tip: Don't do it.

_B

Not any differently in how we live. Rich ER's may live a luxurious life filled with exciting travels, but still die bedridden wearing Depends.

The only thing that one can have before death is how one lives prior to his pitiful demise.

This is an excellent analogy. How we treat animals in an industrialized farm environment is beyond cruel.

Back to the OP topic; Al, are the eggs refrigerated?

I just ate something totally weird: A hard-boiled egg.

What was weird about that? We bought the eggs pre-cooked and pre-peeled at Costco.

728780b.jpg

When I saw them, I thought of Leno saying "How fat and lazy are we getting in this country that we can't even wait to boil an egg?" I also thought they'd be expensive, but they are about the same price as regular eggs at the grocery store.

Bottom line: These things taste like any home-boiled egg, and they make a very convenient zero-carb snack. Open the pack, add some salt, eat.
I wouldn't have tried these before. Now I think I will!!!!

I'm really, really bad at peeling boiled eggs. And I like them in salads and in sandwich spreads.

My son buys the pre-peeled hard boiled eggs. He loves egg salad and the premade stuff in the store is awful and expensive. I taught him how to make hard boiled eggs but he hates the peeling.

So while the pre-peeled ones are more expensive that making your own, it's less than the pre-made egg salad and a better product.

In our store they come in a 6 count or a 10 count. He loves when I find a coupon for him.

We tried these last week. Made egg salad out of them. I want to know how they get the shells off so nice. To DW they were not as flavorful as the ones DW makes, but they would be much better than if I were to try to boil water :nonono:

In short, they were good. Try them to see if you like them. Obviously they won't be as good as if you had really fresh eggs in your home.

Absolutely indistinguishable from a normal, hard-boiled egg. I might not have bought these, but they had samples a Costco that tasted fine.

I was curious about the machine that processes them, and found:

Hard to tell, but I think it taps at the shells until they break up, then rinses them off.

And, on a related note, mass processing of chickens in China:

We got our first Costco last year, and I still haven't been there. I need to go and explore! It isn't very close to my house, isn't in the greatest neighborhood either, and is probably completely jammed with humanity at all times, but still.

I love hard boiled eggs. :D

No, no, no ... Don't start going to Costco, especially if you have a small household. You will end up buying in bulk needlessly. I buy aaa batteries from Costco and it lasts me two years. We can't never finish a bag of spinach before it goes bad. :facepalm:

Absolutely indistinguishable from a normal, hard-boiled egg. I might not have bought these, but they had samples a Costco that tasted fine.

You sold me, I'll be looking for them on my next trip. I love HB eggs, hate peeling them.

How long are they supposed to last? (It looks like you had to buy a full case?)

I have purchased these eggs and like them. I really hate peeling eggs!

Wilcox Farms is in Roy, WA and seems to be moving along the path towards more sustainable farming practices and organic certifications. In the past I have seen them advertise farm events open to the public on their website. I think this is much better than the factory farms in the news with horror stories about how animals are treated.

...Costco that tasted fine.

I was curious about the machine that processes them, and found: ...

Hard to tell, but I think it taps at the shells until they break up, then rinses them off. ...

I was curious too, and wondered if it would help when going full DIY hard-boiled eggs. In this short video, they say that rollers crack the shells like rolling one on a counter, and then they squeeze the egg out.

I'm gonna try that.

-ERD50

No, no, no ... Don't start going to Costco, especially if you have a small household. You will end up buying in bulk needlessly. I buy aaa batteries from Costco and it lasts me two years. We can't never finish a bag of spinach before it goes bad. :facepalm:

Yesterday I bought a dozen eggs. We shop Costco on a regular basis and yes, do end up with mass quantities stocked away. The bagged spinach is a great buy even if you waste some. We find that we can often share some of what we buy if we are afraid it will go bad and still end up buying cheaper at Costco.

The dozen eggs? $4.99 at the Circle K "convenience market". Somehow I suspect I could have bought twice the eggs at Costco for less money. Caused me to consider how much more it costs in the world when one doesn't have the money and time to avoid "convenience markups". Being poor costs more.

Back
Top Bottom