I Just Ate Something Weird

How long are they supposed to last? (It looks like you had to buy a full case?)

That's exactly the problem with Costco's eggs. Unless you have a large family or are feeding an army that is not the way to go. Walmart's Marketplace stores sell them six at a time.

After some unpleasant experiences with these pre-cooked things, a year ago, I simply purchased a KRUPS Egg Cooker and now cook one or up to seven eggs just exactly the way I want them... quicker than making a pot of coffee. No muss, no fuss... and little or no "clean up" after. Of course, you still have to peel them but for some reason this is even easier than its ever been.

I'm from a small farm town, the little pool hall/beer joint used to have jars of pickled eggs behind the counter. The owner would dig one out when someone ordered one and you could smell it from across the room. He sold smoked fish that were wrapped in plastic too (Blind Robins). There was a jar of pickled pigs feet, but I never saw that get opened. Some old timers would sit at the bar and snack on these eggs and sip on cheap 3.2 beer after work. I was just a kid, I'd drink a Dr Pepper and just listen.

In the ate something weird vein: she loves avocados and some friend's parents have an orchard with a variety of avocados - she thrills to their largesse. Far as I'm concerned eating sliced avocado is like noshing on slabs of greenish unsalted margarine. Pleased to learn the other day that avocados are also known as butterfruit. Eating butterfruit? that's weird.

In the ate something weird vein: she loves avocados and some friend's parents have an orchard with a variety of avocados - she thrills to their largesse. Far as I'm concerned eating sliced avocado is like noshing on slabs of greenish unsalted margarine. Pleased to learn the other day that avocados are also known as butterfruit. Eating butterfruit? that's weird.

Big difference between avocado and butter. Per wiki, for 100 grams of each:

Butter-
Fat------------------81 g
Saturated --------- 51 g
Monounsaturated--21 g
Polyunsaturated -----3 g

Avocado -
Fat------------------14.66 g
Saturated------------2.13 g
Monounsaturated----9.80 g
Polyunsaturated-----1.82 g

-ERD50

Even though I like to eat animals, their humane treatment before "harvest" is still important to me.

If the farmer does not treat the animals humanely, he will not make a profit.
Would you not give your children antibiotics if they were sick and needed them to prevent sickness and/or death?

I just ate something totally weird: A hard-boiled egg.

What was weird about that? We bought the eggs pre-cooked and pre-peeled at Costco.

728780b.jpg

When I saw them, I thought of Leno saying "How fat and lazy are we getting in this country that we can't even wait to boil an egg?" I also thought they'd be expensive, but they are about the same price as regular eggs at the grocery store.

Bottom line: These things taste like any home-boiled egg, and they make a very convenient zero-carb snack. Open the pack, add some salt, eat.

Actually then, cheaper. No energy expended to boil them.

I was curious too, and wondered if it would help when going full DIY hard-boiled eggs. In this short video, they say that rollers crack the shells like rolling one on a counter, and then they squeeze the egg out.

I spent many of my w0/k|ng years installing and fixing machines just like that - in meat and dairy; really just a matter of utilizing the laws of physics and how to consistently apply them to objects that are not necessarily consistent in shape, size, or whatever physical characteristic might be relevant. Although not part of my specific professional experience, think of an industrial sized potato peeler--as it was described to me by others who had performed repairs on them--oodles of steam injected into a chamber through which the potato travels, and upon which much agitation is transferred. Machines that literally beat the cr@p out of themselves and frequently require extensive repairs, but are nonetheless extremely cost effective because they eliminate the need for individuals to perform tedious labor.

And of utmost importance for those who are tasked with keeping those machines running is to understand that others who are tasked with keeping those very same machines in a sanitary state will do their utmost best to force harsh chemical agents and much water into every nook and cranny of said machine, whether the physical properties of internal components can tolerate such invasive treatments or not.

Seeing this makes me so happy to be retired :D

And oh - a fellow retiree I know, some 20 years or so my senior sent this cartoon this morning, I thought it might add to the "conversation" :LOL:

Attachments

• Costco.jpg
    Costco.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 19
Great. I just hard cooked 18 eggs for deviled eggs for Sat. Now I find out you can pay somebody else to do the hard part for you? The eggs are cooling in a pan right now before they go into the refrig and smell it up. It is days like this that make me wish I had married better

Great. I just hard cooked 18 eggs for deviled eggs for Sat. Now I find out you can pay somebody else to do the hard part for you? The eggs are cooling in a pan right now before they go into the refrig and smell it up. It is days like this that make me wish I had married better

How long does it take you to peel all those eggs?

We also had samples of this precooked egg at Costco, but decided not to buy it. I expected the peeling to be done by machine and not by hand. Else, the added cost would be so high and not competitive.

No, no, no ... Don't start going to Costco, especially if you have a small household. You will end up buying in bulk needlessly. I buy aaa batteries from Costco and it lasts me two years. We can't never finish a bag of spinach before it goes bad. :facepalm:

When I looked back at our grocery bills in the last 4 years, I found that we spent a lot less in 2014 than earlier. And Quicken showed me that we used to go to Costco a lot more. It made sense as our children are now independent, and we do not need to buy in bulk.

Even so, my wife told me that some stuff is so cheap at Costco that even if we throw away 1/3 of the food, we are still ahead.

PS. Ah, I now see that someone else has the same idea.

Yesterday I bought a dozen eggs. We shop Costco on a regular basis and yes, do end up with mass quantities stocked away. The bagged spinach is a great buy even if you waste some. We find that we can often share some of what we buy if we are afraid it will go bad and still end up buying cheaper at Costco.

The dozen eggs? $4.99 at the Circle K "convenience market". Somehow I suspect I could have bought twice the eggs at Costco for less money. Caused me to consider how much more it costs in the world when one doesn't have the money and time to avoid "convenience markups". Being poor costs more.

I haven't bought the packaged eggs at Costco (in fact, I was there today and don't recall seeing them, but that's probably because I try to train my eyes only to see the things on my shopping list). But I have bought them (one to a package) in the Philly airport - they have a "fresh and healthy" snack place with lots of packaged foods to take on the plane. Think fruit,veggies, hummus, energy bars, etc. Great way to get the no-carb protein. Tasted fine.

Gosh, boiled eggs sure do sound good. I'm going to boil some right now, because of this thread.

:baconflag:

Boiled eggs turn smelly only if they are overcooked. Here's the easy way to cook them just right (no smell!) , and make them easy to peel too.

Last edited:
I keep at least 2 HB eggs in the frig for a quick protein snack. I cook and peel my own, and use an egg slicer so I can sprinkle salt and pepper on all of it at once. I also make deviled eggs and pickled eggs with sliced red onion added for flavor.

Here's a selection of images of all sorts of egg slicers, which can also be used for soft skinned fruits and cheeses. I own an older version of the flat all-metal ones with wires.

egg slicer - Bing Images

For years hard to peal eggs frustrated me. However about two years ago we got an electric pressure cooker. Pressure cooked eggs always peal easy! Researching this I found out that commercial hard boiled eggs are done in a pressure cooker.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I have never had problems peeling eggs . I just peel them while they are still hot . I run cold water on them and the shells come off easily . I love egg salad .

The timing must be tricky and demanding with boiling eggs in a pressure cooker. Eggs turn stinky (smell rotten) when overcooked, which most people do even in a regular pot. See my earlier post about boiling eggs. The commercial machine that T-Al posted a video of earlier boils eggs in open air on a conveyor belt.

Last edited:
I keep at least 2 HB eggs in the frig for a quick protein snack. I cook and peel my own, and use an egg slicer so I can sprinkle salt and pepper on all of it at once. I also make deviled eggs and pickled eggs with sliced red onion added for flavor.
This is pretty much what I do. Being a LCHF eater, I love having such a great food choice instantly available.
Every couple of weeks or so, I buy an extra dozen eggs and boil them using a method very close to the one linked by NW-Bound.

After cooling, they go back into their container in the frig. Great snacks or salad additions during the day, and deviled for something a bit fancier in the evening.

An overcooked egg has its yolk turning from yellow to green. When peeled, the egg releases the sulfurous gas, hence the rotten smell.

I see that there are several Youtube videos showing how to boil eggs without overcooking them. What they all have in common is:

1) cold eggs are put in cold water, then the pot is brought up to near boiling, but not a hard boil
2) the water is barely bubbling when the heat is turned off,
3) the eggs are left for 10-17 minutes in the hot water with the pot cover on,
4) they are then immediately soaked in cold water to make the peeling easier.

Note that as the boil water is taken off the heat earlier and immediately cools down, there's little difference whether you cook the egg for 10 or 17 minutes.

A couple of tablespoons of vinegar in the boil water will help the shell easier to peel.

About eating something truly weird, how about a boiled egg that's scrambled in the shell?

I have not done this as I do not have the tool, but the following video shows how. There's even a commercial gadget, and it is sold out even at the price of $24.

Last edited:
I have never had problems peeling eggs . I just peel them while they are still hot . I run cold water on them and the shells come off easily . I love egg salad .
DW has had trouble peeling really fresh hard boiled eggs, but found that steaming them, as opposed to boiling them, solved the problem.

For years hard to peal eggs frustrated me. However about two years ago we got an electric pressure cooker. Pressure cooked eggs always peal easy! Researching this I found out that commercial hard boiled eggs are done in a pressure cooker.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Thank you very much for this post! I bought an electric pressure cooker several months ago and I LOVE it. I used it all the time, but I didn't know you could cook eggs in it (evidently, you steam them instead of boiling them in low pressure.) I found this link and tried the recipe (3 minutes for medium "boiled" eggs in the electric pressure cooker on Low with a steamer basket.) and it is PERFECT! Peels easily like you said too.

CRACKED! Soft, Medium, and Hard "Boiled" Eggs in the pressure cooker | hip pressure cooking

Boiled eggs turn smelly only if they are overcooked. Here's the easy way to cook them just right (no smell!) , and make them easy to peel too.

This is similar to my technique. I first poke a hole in the blunt end of the egg. I don't know if this is necessary but it is what I was taught to do by my mom, so I do it! Cover them with water and bring them to a boil in a covered pan and then turn the heat off and leave covered until lukewarm and then pour off hot water and add cold. They are always cooked the right amount to my tastes and are easy to peel. So simple that I can't imagine needing to buy them precooked and it seems more sanitary to me. And eggs come with their own perfect and compostable packaging. I hate the amount of plastic involved in much of Costco's packaging especially of fruits. I'd rather buy in bulk and spare the unnecessary packaging. As an added bonus this method of cooking conserves fuel as you turn off the heat as soon as the water comes to a boil!

Not to be persistent (or a pest) but... again, there is no easier way to cook "hard" boiled eggs than this:

F230 EGG COOKER | KRUPS USA

The great thing is it is small enough to keep, IN THE BOX, in the RV (and we all know how valuable space is in one of those) -- ~6"x8"x5." And one egg or seven take the same time... about six minutes for the most well-done egg(s). And again there is no clean-up other than wiping with a dry cloth. (Well, unless an egg breaks during the early cooking stage. Then a damp cloth will do.)

KRUPS Egg Cooker.JPG

Additional thought: I also don't have to worry about Barometric Pressure with this unit -- water boils at a much lower temperature in Denver than it does in Los Angeles. (In Yellowstone NP you can drink "boiling" water it is so "cool.") And even then, not always at the same temperature no matter where you are -- making timing tenuous at best with standard methods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom