Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I keep at least 2 HB eggs in the frig for a quick protein snack. I cook and peel my own, and use an egg slicer so I can sprinkle salt and pepper on all of it at once. I also make deviled eggs and pickled eggs with sliced red onion added for flavor.

Here's a selection of images of all sorts of egg slicers, which can also be used for soft skinned fruits and cheeses. I own an older version of the flat all-metal ones with wires.

egg slicer - Bing Images
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For years hard to peal eggs frustrated me. However about two years ago we got an electric pressure cooker. Pressure cooked eggs always peal easy! Researching this I found out that commercial hard boiled eggs are done in a pressure cooker.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

I have never had problems peeling eggs . I just peel them while they are still hot . I run cold water on them and the shells come off easily . I love egg salad .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

The timing must be tricky and demanding with boiling eggs in a pressure cooker. Eggs turn stinky (smell rotten) when overcooked, which most people do even in a regular pot. See my earlier post about boiling eggs. The commercial machine that T-Al posted a video of earlier boils eggs in open air on a conveyor belt.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I keep at least 2 HB eggs in the frig for a quick protein snack. I cook and peel my own, and use an egg slicer so I can sprinkle salt and pepper on all of it at once. I also make deviled eggs and pickled eggs with sliced red onion added for flavor.
This is pretty much what I do. Being a LCHF eater, I love having such a great food choice instantly available.
Every couple of weeks or so, I buy an extra dozen eggs and boil them using a method very close to the one linked by NW-Bound.

After cooling, they go back into their container in the frig. Great snacks or salad additions during the day, and deviled for something a bit fancier in the evening.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

An overcooked egg has its yolk turning from yellow to green. When peeled, the egg releases the sulfurous gas, hence the rotten smell.

I see that there are several Youtube videos showing how to boil eggs without overcooking them. What they all have in common is:
1) cold eggs are put in cold water, then the pot is brought up to near boiling, but not a hard boil
2) the water is barely bubbling when the heat is turned off,
3) the eggs are left for 10-17 minutes in the hot water with the pot cover on,
4) they are then immediately soaked in cold water to make the peeling easier.
Note that as the boil water is taken off the heat earlier and immediately cools down, there's little difference whether you cook the egg for 10 or 17 minutes.

A couple of tablespoons of vinegar in the boil water will help the shell easier to peel.

About eating something truly weird, how about a boiled egg that's scrambled in the shell?

I have not done this as I do not have the tool, but the following video shows how. There's even a commercial gadget, and it is sold out even at the price of $24.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have never had problems peeling eggs . I just peel them while they are still hot . I run cold water on them and the shells come off easily . I love egg salad .
DW has had trouble peeling really fresh hard boiled eggs, but found that steaming them, as opposed to boiling them, solved the problem.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
For years hard to peal eggs frustrated me. However about two years ago we got an electric pressure cooker. Pressure cooked eggs always peal easy! Researching this I found out that commercial hard boiled eggs are done in a pressure cooker.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Thank you very much for this post! I bought an electric pressure cooker several months ago and I LOVE it. I used it all the time, but I didn't know you could cook eggs in it (evidently, you steam them instead of boiling them in low pressure.) I found this link and tried the recipe (3 minutes for medium "boiled" eggs in the electric pressure cooker on Low with a steamer basket.) and it is PERFECT! Peels easily like you said too.

CRACKED! Soft, Medium, and Hard "Boiled" Eggs in the pressure cooker | hip pressure cooking
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Boiled eggs turn smelly only if they are overcooked. Here's the easy way to cook them just right (no smell!) , and make them easy to peel too.

This is similar to my technique. I first poke a hole in the blunt end of the egg. I don't know if this is necessary but it is what I was taught to do by my mom, so I do it! Cover them with water and bring them to a boil in a covered pan and then turn the heat off and leave covered until lukewarm and then pour off hot water and add cold. They are always cooked the right amount to my tastes and are easy to peel. So simple that I can't imagine needing to buy them precooked and it seems more sanitary to me. And eggs come with their own perfect and compostable packaging. I hate the amount of plastic involved in much of Costco's packaging especially of fruits. I'd rather buy in bulk and spare the unnecessary packaging. As an added bonus this method of cooking conserves fuel as you turn off the heat as soon as the water comes to a boil!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:01 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Not to be persistent (or a pest) but... again, there is no easier way to cook "hard" boiled eggs than this:

F230 EGG COOKER | KRUPS USA

The great thing is it is small enough to keep, IN THE BOX, in the RV (and we all know how valuable space is in one of those) -- ~6"x8"x5." And one egg or seven take the same time... about six minutes for the most well-done egg(s). And again there is no clean-up other than wiping with a dry cloth. (Well, unless an egg breaks during the early cooking stage. Then a damp cloth will do.)

KRUPS Egg Cooker.JPG

Additional thought: I also don't have to worry about Barometric Pressure with this unit -- water boils at a much lower temperature in Denver than it does in Los Angeles. (In Yellowstone NP you can drink "boiling" water it is so "cool.") And even then, not always at the same temperature no matter where you are -- making timing tenuous at best with standard methods.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I can't believe that you all can't hard boil an egg properly without special equipment! Leave it to a bunch of engineers. I know, "I are an eng-un-ere" myself, and y'all just want to have some fun playing with a new device. Nothing wrong with that as long as you realize that is why you bought it.

BTW, this thread inspired me to hard boil a dozen eggs using a very complicated device, a pot. I told some friends in another (unrelated) forum that I was hard boiling eggs, and three of them hard boiled a dozen eggs too. This could spread like wildfire! Egg futures, anybody? (just kidding!)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

OK, so we all have our favorite way of boiling an egg, and people may like to buy precooked and pre-peeled eggs that require no work at all. But is eating eggs good for you?

Eggs are so inexpensive, nutritious and low in calories compared to "carby" food, but how about the cholesterol? Many of us are aware that the tide has turned against the egg-avoidance campaign, and experts now say that eggs are not as bad as previously thought, and that the cholesterol in eggs does not translate to cholesterol in the bloodstream. One researcher suspects that the sulfur in the egg alleviates the harm of the cholesterol, and in fact may make it good.

So, keep egging on, but I will try to eat no more than 4 or 5 a week until I, no the experts, know better.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Easter is not so far away...

Old 01-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

While in Costco yesterday I checked egg prices - 18 extra large fresh eggs were about $5.40, while 24 hardboiled eggs that looked like maybe large size were $4.79. Weird. Both less expensive per egg than the $4.99 12 large fresh (?) eggs from the convenience mart, but not as large a difference as I expected.

Bought the hard boiled eggs - we have a jar of pickles that is almost out of pickles - I'll stuff a dozen in the jar in the pickle juice.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #55
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
While in Costco yesterday I checked egg prices - 18 extra large fresh eggs were about $5.40, while 24 hardboiled eggs that looked like maybe large size were $4.79. Weird. Both less expensive per egg than the $4.99 12 large fresh (?) eggs from the convenience mart, but not as large a difference as I expected.

Bought the hard boiled eggs - we have a jar of pickles that is almost out of pickles - I'll stuff a dozen in the jar in the pickle juice.
Your egg prices are much higher than ours. Here we pay $1.49 to $2.29 for a dozen. Our special pasteurized eggs are $2.99 at the highest but I usually have a $.75 coupon that gets doubled. I get the pasteurized eggs so that I can still have a soft runny yolk when I make poached eggs.

Where are you that your prices are so high?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Easter is not so far away...

This thead brought back a very old memory, for Easter eggs I remember DM asking at the growers market for the oldest eggs they had. Most would look at her as if she had lost her mind, until she said they peel easier. A few of the older counter guys would smile like they knew that to be true.

Mom was taught that by her mom(DGM) who was born in the 1890s. Not sure of any explanation, but she/we never had a problem with peeling eggs.

She cooked in a pan much like the directions previously posted.

We don't raise poultry any more, but two neighbors sell theirs for $3.00 per dozen. I've met the chickens that lay the eggs we eat, they eat bugs outside in warm weather, just like ours did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Your egg prices are much higher than ours. Here we pay $1.49 to $2.29 for a dozen. Our special pasteurized eggs are $2.99 at the highest but I usually have a $.75 coupon that gets doubled. I get the pasteurized eggs so that I can still have a soft runny yolk when I make poached eggs.

Where are you that your prices are so high?
La Quinta in SoCal, and I was pretty shocked as well - I need to re-check the fresh egg price at Costco to verify. The hard boiled price is from the receipt.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote