Join Early Retirement Today

I just Ordered a New Car plus other Minor Things
Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just Ordered a New Car plus other Minor Things

I love luxury cars. I have never owned one. We have a vacation tradition of renting a Cadillac for our Florida vacation drive from VA to FL. We only go on one real vacation per year so we sort of live it up a little. I use multiple discounts and coupons when we rent so I get an expensive rental as cheaply as I can. That's the story of my life. I like getting exactly what I want for the cheapest price possible. I sort of like spending money. I really hate wasting money.

I just ordered a 2013 Lincoln MKX AWD with all the snazzy totally unnecessary options I ever wanted. Back in 2010 we rented a Cadillac SRX which is the GM equivalent of the Lincoln MKX. I loved it but refuse to buy GM for two reasons, one of which is political and one is just personal preference. I like Fords and foreign cars mostly. I checked out the 2010 MKX and just started waiting. I just loved all the cool features like the backup camera and interior mood lighting. I like stuff like navigation, Bluetooth, and heated steering wheels. I have never had a fancy car before. I kept a 1984 2WD Toyota pickup for 14 years and traded it for $1,100.00 worth of tree work in my yard. It was on its last legs.

Back in 2009 I correctly guessed the bottom of the S&P. I moved a buttload of cash into VFIAX. Three years later (now) I think I have guessed that the market is at a peak. That guess and the fact that our investments reached the point of us being FI with extra money for buying an extravagant car and paying off our mortgage pushed me over the edge into selling and going into 60% bonds/40% S&P. I made 93.4% on my two guesses.

So this is really about reaching FI, paying off the mortgage, and a new car. My wife is still working for the health and life insurance which we can't get anywhere outside of the employer-provided arena. We also like the added income to pad the nest egg, of course.

My new car will play .mp3s from a thumb drive. I ordered a best of George Clinton CD for $4.99 with free super saver shipping from Amazon to celebrate! And I thought I was eccentric!

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on the new ride, I hope you enjoy it (I'm sure you will)!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations and thanks for keeping my pension solvent.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations! I bet you are going to love your new ride.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Congratulations, that's pretty cool. The MKX is a really sharp looking ride. Don't hear of people ordering cars too much anymore. When do they start delivering the 2013 models?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #6

Congrats! What was the estimate for delivery? I just ordered a Ford product on 3/29. I'm expecting late May or early June.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

I have no problem with buying something I really enjoy and can afford. For me, that's a Porsche. Enjoy your Lincoln MKX!
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #8

I have a 2007 MKX AWD and I love it; it's been completely trouble free for 60,000 miles. The new ones have a lot more technological goodies on them but they are great cars. The AWD is excellent in the North Dakota winters.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I thank you for your exclusion of GM for political reasons. Born and raised Chevy/Cadillac but will not buy another for a long time.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #10

When I retired my "retirement present" was special ordering a brand new '03 4WD pickup truck to replace the 18-year-old pickup. It's fun to do, especially since I get a new vehicle about once every 15-20 years.

Enjoy the new ride!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Congrats! What was the estimate for delivery? I just ordered a Ford product on 3/29. I'm expecting late May or early June.
They said six to eight weeks. It's different for each car line. Sometimes a part or paint color will hold it up an extra week. The Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX are made in Canada so it's coming to Baltimore on a rail car. Then by truck to a small town in Pa where I bought it. I ordered a Ford truck in 2006 and had to wait almost three months.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #12

Good for you MikeD! Someone has to jump start this economy.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I retired my "retirement present" was special ordering a brand new '03 4WD pickup truck to replace the 18-year-old pickup.
When I retired, I also bought a "retirement present" for myself - - a brand new, shiny, Toyota Venza with all the options except the GPS navigation package. That was probably overkill, but still I love it! In my case I didn't special order it, because they had one on the lot that was exactly what I wanted. It should last for a very long time.

MikeD, congratulations on your brand new 2013 Lincoln MKX AWD with all the options! This sounds like the car of your dreams, and I just know you are going to love it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote